Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hendra Virus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hendra Virus
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 5:56pm
Wow. Just before the breeding season. Wonder if NSW will enforce any movement restrictions in the Hunter Valley? Hopefully it is quickly snuffed out

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Nov 2021 at 9:30pm
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
Thanks Batman.Here's the ABC report:

Potentially deadly Hendra virus spreads further south in New South Wales

By Rick HindMike PritchardLara Webster and Carly Cook

A Hendra virus case has been confirmed near Scone, NSW, with an unvaccinated mare euthanased.

The potentially deadly Hendra virus has spread further south with the NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) confirming a case in the New South Wales Hunter region.

Key points:

·         A horse has had to be euthanased after contracting Hendra virus near Scone, NSW

·         The case occurred in the heart of the largest thoroughbred breeding area in the Southern Hemisphere

·         Since 1994, four people and 83 horses across Queensland and NSW have died from the virus

An unvaccinated mare contracted the virus late last week at a property near Scone and had to be euthanased.

DPI senior veterinary officer Paul Freeman said health assessments had been conducted for other horses and people at the property, where about 10 people had come into contact with the horse.

"It's not a highly infectious disease, so the risk to other horses is fairly minimal," Mr Freeman said.

The NSW Department of Primary Industries' senior veterinary leader Paul Freeman is disappointed that there hasn't been a greater number of horses vaccinated against the Hendra virus.

"The big concern with Hendra is the human health risk.

"The procedures we take are to ensure there is no human exposure wherever possible to infected areas.

"New South Wales health have undertaken risk assessments, they look at all the details of what interaction there was with the horse."

No movement on or off the property will be allowed for three weeks.

Southernmost case on record

The last outbreak of Hendra in NSW was an unvaccinated horse on a property near Tweed Heads â€” right on the Queensland border — in September 2018.

It has been more than two years since a case in Queensland, when a horse died from Hendra on a property in the Gold Coast hinterland in May 2017.

Prior to the case in Scone, the southernmost detection of the virus was near Kempsey on the NSW Mid North Coast in 2013.

Since 1994, four people and 83 horses across Queensland and NSW have died from the virus.

Be alert, not alarmed

The presence of the Hendra virus in the Hunter — the heart of the largest thoroughbred breeding area in the Southern Hemisphere — has put the industry on alert.

Hunter Thoroughbred Breeders Association President Cameron Collins urged horse owners who had not yet vaccinated against the virus to consider doing so, but said there was no particular risk for local thoroughbreds.

"This horse was located well away from the general thoroughbred breeding area," Mr Collins said.

"The general message is horses and flying foxes do not mix, and horse owners should be very diligent about keeping their horses away from flying foxes.

"The Hendra Virus vaccine is an excellent vaccine it has very good protection against the disease."

ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:50pm
Batman of course they won’t enforce any restrictions on mares from the hunter. This is a Queensland virus don’t forget.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 10:57pm
If they do enforce movement of horses half the crazy population will just load them into furniture trucks and move them around like they did last time, and then wonder how and why it spread so quick. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-11/new-hendra-virus-strain-discovered-in-horses-and-bats/13235488

Vets urge horses, owners to get Hendra virus vaccine as new strain identified

ABC Upper Hunter

Equine vets are urging horse breeders and owners to vaccinate against Hendra virus, following the discovery of a new strain of the deadly virus by Australian researchers.

The research project, titled Horses as Sentinels, has linked the new strain, found in a flying fox in Adelaide, to a previously unexplained death of a horse in an undisclosed area of Australia in 2015.

Peter Reid, a veterinary scientist with the Australian Veterinary Association [AVA], said that breeds of flying foxes that had not been known to transmit Hendra virus in the past could be carrying the new strain in areas previously deemed as low risk.

These areas include parts of New South Wales, Victoria and southern Australia, where grey-headed flying foxes are found.

'It progresses very quickly'

Hendra virus, which was first recorded in Australia in 1994, can infect both humans and horses.

The virus has a recorded mortality rate for of approximately 79 per cent for horses and 60 per cent for humans who contract it.

Since its discovery, it is known to have killed more than 100 horses and four people.

"Typical symptoms are very acute severe onset of usually neurologic signs, as well as some respiratory components as well," Lisanne Gallant, from Newcastle Equine Hospital, said.

Dr Gallant said symptoms included "discharge from the nostrils, laboured breathing, increased respiratory rates, as well as other neurologic signs like a wobbly stance".

Fatalities could typically be quite quick.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 3:51pm

Second death from new Hendra virus strain confirmed in horse near Newcastle

/

A new strain of the deadly Hendra virus has killed a horse in the New South Wales Hunter region.

Key points:

• The unvaccinated horse was euthanased and the property locked down
  • The case near Newcastle is the most southern detection in Australia
  • There have been 24 horse deaths in NSW as a result of Hendra virus 

The Department of Primary Industries confirmed the virus was detected in a seven-year-old unvaccinated Clydesdale from West Wallsend.

A private vet diagnosed the case on Tuesday and it was confirmed at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness yesterday.

The horse was euthanased and no other horses on the property showed signs of ill health, the DPI said.

"DPI has routinely tested all Hendra submissions over the past six months for the variant Hendra strain following a retrospective detection by researchers in a Queensland horse," it said.

The property was locked down and Hunter Local Land Services issued a biosecurity direction to control the movement of animals and people for 21 days.

Link to earlier horse deaths

The West Wallsend horse was the second in Australia confirmed to have died from the new variant, which is, like the original virus, transmitted to horses from flying foxes.

The first was a horse in Gympie in Queensland in 2015 but researchers only made that link earlier this year.

Equine Veterinarians Australia president Steve Dennis said the new strain had been linked to a mass flying fox death in Adelaide's botanical gardens and was "as lethal as the original".

"And is likely to be as dangerous to people as well," he said.

Dr Dennis believed a number of horses deaths could be linked to the new strain, but without tests vets would never know how many.

But he said flying foxes "should not be demonised" because of the transmission.

"They are critical species to our ecosystems." more...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-08/southernmost-case-of-hendra-virus-in-horse-near-newcastle/100523308

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:18pm
Been due ...   These Virus are on the prowl 24/7 Fruit bats ?

Nasty one too,    Hendra ... care with Body fluids.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:25pm
Mate these bats are toxic things. God knows how anyone could eat one. Confused
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:21pm
I don't know why she's just posted what would be ancient news, perhaps recent cases reported somewhere. Anyway, I already knew there were problems with the vaccine but not to this degree Angry

Anyone who has ever spoken to me about the horses used in the trials for hendra in Victoria, know how they presented when sent to Laverton Pet Supplies will always haunt me. To think humans did this to an animal makes me sick. Apart from sarcoids heart murmur, there poor unhealthy condition, blown out feet etc. They presented with brain damage and seizures due to the vaccine passing from the blood stream into spinal fluid and into the Brain causing irreversible damage. None were able to be rehabilitated although Melissa Bridgman did try super hard with one, the best of them but the brain damage never improved. All were destroyed.
Zoetis is owned by Pfizer. The hendra vaccine was rushed through even though the initial trials were a failure. Not sure if anyone can relate to this story but thought it relevant to share again. RIP to all the hendra trial horses in Vic. Gone but never forgotten

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Nov 2021 at 9:22pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I don't know why she's just posted what would be ancient news, perhaps recent cases reported somewhere. Anyway, I already knew there were problems with the vaccine but not to this degree Angry

Anyone who has ever spoken to me about the horses used in the trials for hendra in Victoria, know how they presented when sent to Laverton Pet Supplies will always haunt me. To think humans did this to an animal makes me sick. Apart from sarcoids heart murmur, there poor unhealthy condition, blown out feet etc. They presented with brain damage and seizures due to the vaccine passing from the blood stream into spinal fluid and into the Brain causing irreversible damage. None were able to be rehabilitated although Melissa Bridgman did try super hard with one, the best of them but the brain damage never improved. All were destroyed.
Zoetis is owned by Pfizer. The hendra vaccine was rushed through even though the initial trials were a failure. Not sure if anyone can relate to this story but thought it relevant to share again. RIP to all the hendra trial horses in Vic. Gone but never forgotten

I think its the zoetis being owned by Pfizer part that sticks out. And the rushing through of vaccines. If you're following the adverse events like I am, then you won't be surprised.
 Post Reply Post Reply