Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Happy Clapper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:49pm
Or if they owned a tail hair, Heavy Cry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Don't let him get you in Jamal .   He's a likeable rogue who likes to rattle our feathers.
   The crowds and attention she generates for Racing is terrific.

She makes Waller Cry .     . Not long ago , the only time he cried was if one of his fav's won.

By staying in OZ we have all had the pleasure of her ( I won't add to that one ) It might upset JJ.

Greatest Horse Oz has produced .

It has nothing to do with someone "getting me in". It's his opinion and that's that. Simple.

Just because his opinion differs slightly DOES NOT mean he is "getting me in".

We all know Winx is a champion. But the era is weak..that is also a well known fact.

Not knocking Winx in any way at all ok.

Spot on Jamal.

Don't let the limited type impact on your assessment.

Shame that others see it as sad that people can have an opinion.

Says more about their sadness than you mate.
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 5:30pm
*not referring to Max*
Others......
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:35pm
There must be individual efforts where it is hard to imagine Winx would have succeeded against previously great horses ?

I doubt Winx would have caught Might And Power when he won his Caulfield Cup or when he won his Queen Elizabeth at Randwick.

I doubt Winx would have beaten Better Loosen Up in his Australian Cup.

I doubt Winx would have beaten Octagonal when Dye took the bull by the horns and caught his opposition napping ?

It would have been interesting to see Winx chasing Sunline when she won her 1600m All Aged Stakes.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

There must be individual efforts where it is hard to imagine Winx would have succeeded against previously great horses ?

I doubt Winx would have caught Might And Power when he won his Caulfield Cup or when he won his Queen Elizabeth at Randwick.

I doubt Winx would have beaten Octagonal when Dye took the bull by the horns and caught his opposition napping ?

It would have been interesting to see Winx chasing Sunline when she won her 1600m All Aged Stakes.

Exactly right. Well said. Those horses you mentioned were class.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:35pm
It looked like Winx had a hard race Saturday. I don't think she could of gone any faster then she did! Although it looked liked jock didn't ride her hard? I think she runs at her top when let off bridal, probably why she is a star?
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
Of course.
Red Excitement nearly beat her.

The Clapper makes her work.

Problem is she just races here and will be remembered as that.

That is, not that memorable. Just another small bubble champ.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by ChrisB ChrisB wrote:

Of course.
Red Excitement nearly beat her.

The Clapper makes her work.

Problem is she just races here and will be remembered as that.

That is, not that memorable. Just another small bubble champ.

She will be remembered in all the racing world for eternity. No matter where, she will rank in the top 0.1% of champions.

Whenever great horses are talked about she will be part of the conversation.

reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:53pm
It’s laughable that good ole Happy Clapper has been elevated to hero status cuz he’s ran 2nd to Winx in a few runs.
Christ almighty he’s been beaten in another 20 or so runs by the l8kes of Gold Symphony and it’s somewhat.

It’s l8ke elevating Platinum Scissors to greatness
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:54pm

It’s all hypothetical of course and I think there’s a lot of rose coloured glasses happening when people look back at the “ good old days”. I saw all the horses race that you have mentioned and they were great horses but none of them would have won all of the races Winx has won over the last 4 years.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

It’s all hypothetical of course and I think there’s a lot of rose coloured glasses happening when people look back at the “ good old days”. I saw all the horses race that you have mentioned and they were great horses but none of them would have won all of the races Winx has won over the last 4 years.

No they would not have. But those individual efforts would have been a whole different level to what she has been required to go to.

#IMNSHO

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
She is racing the best we can throw at her. Maybe not so much now? As if you had a very good stud prospect? You would take easy options. But??? The easy options now might becoming the harder races because of the Winx factor? Who knows
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:34pm
Weak era
I’m sorry but that is a load of tripe
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Weak era
I’m sorry but that is a load of tripe
I agree. As I said there’s a lot of rose coloured glasses happening.
Platinum View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:08pm
Some current horses in uk would give happy clapper a hiding. So Winx would want to. R a damn site better than Saturday
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Platinum Platinum wrote:

Some current horses in uk would give happy clapper a hiding. So Winx would want to. R a damn site better than Saturday

I agree. Happy Clapper is no star. Just a good honest G1 horse. Spot on..horses overseas would beat the Clapper.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:36pm
If a horse is a good honest group 1 horse than they are 100% a star.

reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:13am
It seems to me that the fields Winx is beating are no worse than those Black Cavair beat towards the end of her career. Everyone one of Winx’s Cox Plate wins we’re against much higher standard fields than anything So You Think faced in his two wins in the race. You could go on for ever with pointless hypothetical arguments about how Winx would go against past champions. I think it’s easier and more relevant to just look at her and the way she runs. That totally unique galloping action with her thoroughbred stride length and stamina but with the stride frequency of a quarter horse is why she can go past good horses as if they’re standing still. Plus she can maintain her sprint for longer than any other horse. I’ve never seen anything like it . She’s certainly the best I’ve seen or am ever likely to see.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 6:52am
It's not a weak eara! We are breeding the same amount and the same horses! Only less then 1% make top top grade. There the same horses but there is one 3/4/5 lengths better. Days are well gone when trainers could back these horses up week after week. Cobalt took care of that lately, haha
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:19am
I think some are being unkind to Happy Clapper.
    He didn't hit his straps until he won his maiden at age 4.5 years.
His first open Company win was The Villiers as a 5/YO.
He was almost 6Y/O when he ran 2nd in Winx's Doncaster ( She gave him 6 Kilo.)

He has put together a worthy record , which includes Epsom's , Doncaster's & numerous other G1's .     Getting toward 7 Million $ in prizemoney & a rising 9 Y/O.

Be nice to own such a scrubber.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:37am
Damn right Macca
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 9:56am
I agree with Macca.   Cant even imagine owning a horse like Happy.   But there will always be those who are willing to over look a horse who has won near enough 7 million and call them second rate. 
Unless of course they own them, and then they are champions LOL
animals before people.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm
Well done Happy Clapper 👏👏

Great to see you win a time honoured race like the Craven Plate. Probably not any other winnable races for him this spring, but hope he’s back again for the Sydney autumn.

Gee, it’s great to see an old timer like him still racing so well.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:43pm
Trainer Mr P. Webster reported that Happy Clapper was found to have blood present in its nearside nostril upon return to the stables. Mr Webster was advised of the provisions of AR79(8).
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:53am
I am surprised Mr Webster did not also advise to retire the horse at the same time.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:41am
Put him out there in the long yard with his mate the baldy bay , he's earnt it imo.
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:58am
Enjoy retirement Clap we'll miss ya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234