Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Great moments in art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Why would you want to waste $43 million on a Toorak mansion when you could have this masterpiece for only $34 million with $9 million to spare?Confused

Much of a muchness, that $34 million is in $US , which is around that $AUD 43 million.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
Sidney Nolan, Brian the Stockman, 1952

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 3:35pm
The story behind that shredded picture is actually pretty cool, as is the artist Banksy.
https://youtu.be/eXKE0nAMmg4
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 4:32pm
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 4:42pm
Nicely done djebel. Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:00pm
"That was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically ? any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn’t express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything’s the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster.”

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:15pm
Been binge watching the new Beatles Get Back doco (8 hours of it!), and even though it's edited to show the best of them I was surprised to see how friendly and positive John was through it all. Obviously pepped up on drugs but not what I expected at all. Surprisingly it's George who comes across as a bit of a dick, IMO. Ringo is a legend of course.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:12pm
Not really sure why any of them are held in such high esteem.  They were just singers.  Off their face on mind altering substances.  Why is John a legend ?   He just sang songs ??? 
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:17pm
They were usually pretty good songs with reasonably good messages. 
reductio ad absurdum
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 9:17pm
They were way ahead of anyone else back in the day. John and Paul were proper artists, especially when making songs together. Broke musical boundaries with harmonies and chords, played around a lot with music/ lyrics, changed the world forever. That kind of thing. And "usually pretty good songs with reasonably good messages."
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:39am
Yea john Lennon just sang songs....

Between 1968 and 1972, Lennon and Ono collaborated on many records, including a trilogy of avant-garde albums, his solo debut John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, and the international top 10 singles "Give Peace a Chance", "Instant Karma!", "Imagine" and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)". Moving to New York City in 1971, his criticism of the Vietnam War resulted in a three-year attempt by the Richard Nixon administration to deport him. Lennon's deportation order was overturned in 1975, after the Gerald Ford administration showed little interest in continuing the deportation attempt. Lennon and Ono separated from 1973 to 1975, a period that included chart-topping collaborations with Elton John ("Whatever Gets You thru the Night") and David Bowie ("Fame"). Following a five-year hiatus, Lennon returned to music in 1980 with the Ono collaboration Double Fantasy. He was shot and killed by the Beatles fan Mark David Chapman, who was highly critical of Lennon's comments on religion and the Beatles, three weeks after the album's release.

As a performer, writer or co-writer, Lennon had 25 number one singles in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Double Fantasy, his best-selling album, won the 1981 Grammy Award for Album of the Year. In 1982, Lennon won the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In 2002, Lennon was voted eighth in a BBC history poll of the 100 Greatest BritonsRolling Stone ranked him the fifth-greatest singer and thirty-eighth greatest artist of all time. He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame (in 1997) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (twice, as a member of the Beatles in 1988 and as a solo artist in 1994).https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:25am

Memorial in Central Park NYC about 100m or so from where he was killed. Taken last time I was there. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:45pm
Chromie Squiggle 3784

US$2.44 million.

Now we are getting down to somewhere near my price range.Tongue

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:50pm
This would make a beautiful addition to your art collection. From the same gallery. Current top bid US 4 cents.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:51pm
 but is it your taste?

Ermm
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:52pm
[QUOTE=Tlazolteotl]
This would make a beautiful addition to your art collection. From the same gallery. Current top bid US 4 cents.

What happened there? EDIT

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:36pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:44pm

Pablo Picasso, Femme assise près d’une fenêtre (Marie-Thérèse) (1932)

$103,410,000 USD

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:49pm

Jean-Michel Basquiat, In This Case (1983)

$93,105,000 USD

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:52pm

Alberto Giacometti, Le Nez (1947)

$78,396,000 USD

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:04pm
Don't mind that one. Looks like a prophetic vision of social media.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

it's obviously not a vibrator.  So, what is it?

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 7:52pm
 so, I just checked. It was supposed to be a sewing kit in the box but another person substituted a vibrator and grandma didn't know.

Very funny...but what does it have to do with art?

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:33pm

Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe print sells for $281 million

Posted updated 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:50pm
At least that Warhol 'Monroe' is somewhat pleasing to the eye. It's ok. Not great. Not horrible.

This is my test of artistic appreciation - if someone gave me that painting and I had no idea it had any value would I hang it up on a wall somewhere in the house or in the shed? Yes I would. Which is more than I can say for almost all the others I've posted here.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:07pm
 disgusting waste of money.

Just think of all the good that amount of moolah could do.

this made me want to puke, too...

The jersey that Argentina's Diego Maradona wore when he scored the "Hand of God" goal against England in the 1986 World Cup has sold for a world-record price of $9.28 million at an auction at Sotheby's in London.

Thumbs Down
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:02pm
With ya there jj,
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:16pm
It's only a waste of money if the next filthy rich connoisseur doesn't pay you more in a few years.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 8:39am

Man smears Mona Lisa casing with cake before being arrested at The Louvre

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:28am
That was probably another of Scommo's pentecostal minions assigned to try and get even with Macron.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>