Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Great moments in art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:19pm

Whilst, in some eyes, those paintings  are not worth the canvas on which they have been painted , I have a  similar issue with wine experts describing a bottle of wine. Here are a few examples..

This wine has a nose that displays ripe refined Shiraz aromas with raspberry, cherry and spice supported by subtle oak. The palate is richly flavoured and velvety with soft effervescence and fine tannins.

Delicate red berry fruits fill the palate while ripe, elegant yet firm tannins add structure and texture. Red cherry flavours linger in the mouth giving length and purity while the spicy/savoury notes emanating from the oak displays finesse.

Ripe fruit of lychee, melon and pineapple with roasted red capsicum, lime and thyme Full, soft and textured palate. There are fruit characters of lychee and gooseberry with subtle herbaceous character.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 10:45pm
What a load of waffle to make the person waffling feel important. 
I would love to sit them down blindfolded and see what they make of various wines set in front of them.
As to that horrendous painting.    Cry  Imagine looking at that every day .Nuke
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 12:03am
Blows my mind that the money exists to lubricate millionaires ego’s in such a debauched manner. 
When the children of drug addicts live amongst violence and squalor
Third world people can find little or no sustenance
Animals are abused, starved, many have been annihilated from this earth
Not a small fraction of the money needed to bring about hope and change can be found, not through govts, not through benefactors. 
Confused

“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:57am
Yeah, imagine what the money spent on rubbish like the above painting could do to help kids and animals.   Instead some person thinks its worth having that hanging on their walls .  Sick
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:58pm
 I think half of Australia has a Pro Hart. 

My brother-in-law brought several of them for the prestige. They're striking and very Aussie, but not my style. 

I'd have Blue Poles on my wall if I had a wall big enough. 

I like modern, but those posted earlier are just garbage. 

of course, it's all subjective...and some people have more money than taste,,,

Ermm 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:59pm
 bought, not brought...I'm tired after a long day...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:37pm
I have a small Pro Hart bought in Broken Hill years ago.  I bought it because I like the country scene and horses.  At least it looks like something, and its very Ozzie.
Didnt cost an arm and leg at the time either.  Love Albert N too but couldnt afford one .
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:46pm
Adolf Hitler, Mary With Jesus, 1913. Price - unknown.

https://militaryhistorynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/AH6-HitlerMaryWithJesus.jpg
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I have a small Pro Hart bought in Broken Hill years ago.  I bought it because I like the country scene and horses.  At least it looks like something, and its very Ozzie.  Didn't cost an arm and leg at the time either.  Love Albert N too but couldn't afford one . 

Any acceptable provenance AA?  Will do you a favor and offer $150, or $250 if decently framed.  Tongue
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

[QUOTE=acacia alba]  I have a small Pro Hart bought in Broken Hill years ago.  I bought it because I like the country scene and horses.  At least it looks like something, and its very Ozzie.  Didn't cost an arm and leg at the time either.  Love Albert N too but couldn't afford one .  [/QUOTE
Any acceptable provenance AA?  Will do you a favor and offer $150, or $250 if decently framed.  Tongue
SC, you have no idea.Stick to trying to get the quaddie. The size of any painting has much do with its price, my frame alone for my Pro Hart cost $250 fifteen years ago, mine is 90cm x 90 cm, some Pro Hart’s are quite small say, 20cm x20 cm and might cost less than $1000, but the larger ones are much more expensive.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:35am
are you american Bob? you don't seem to get subtleties
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:07am
I thought the Francis Bacon/Princess Margaret story was funny. She was a horrible snob you know.

"I have been at the same house parties as her and her arrogance, her petulance, her rudeness and her plain bad manners were awful,” one frenemy recalled.

https://www.biography.com/news/princess-margaret-worst-party-guest

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:53am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

are you american Bob? you don't seem to get subtleties

I was born south of the Murray river, so I am a Mexican in the eyes of some Australians.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:06pm
yes - to us banana benders that makes you a mexican!
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Arriba!!
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:06am
$US70 million for this one but you can have an identical one for free.Tongue It's digital.

Everydays: The First 5000 Days by Beeple

Everydays: The First 5000 Days Digital Art | Cool Material

Simon Cameron

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 11:20am
Some people have too much money and bad tastes in art
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
This digital art stuff is so f'ing stupid
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

This digital art stuff is so f'ing stupid

my daughter does it. I'm hoping she will eventually make us rich...

Big smileWink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 2:58pm
Haha, good luck!
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 3:17pm
 she makes a reasonable living out of it. We just need to find some sucker who'll pay the big bucks...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

$US70 million for this one but you can have an identical one for free.Tongue It's digital.

Everydays: The First 5000 Days by Beeple

Everydays: The First 5000 Days Digital Art | Cool Material

According to the AFR the opening on-line bid for this "work of art" on 25th February was $ US 100, it was pushed up to $US1 million by 20 bidders finally finishing at $US 60.25 million. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:12pm
Here is one for the art lover on a budget - US$12.2 million but it's only 3 inches square.LOL

Head of a Bear (ca. 1480). Photo courtesy of Christie's New York." width="1024" height="1018">

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:18pm
A Hunter Biden original. Value $500,000 approx.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:28pm
The Biden original doesn't appeal to me at all, but if I had to hang any one of those in this topic on the wall it's the one. Reminds me a bit of "Semen and Blood III" by Andres Serrano. Maybe he uses the same technique.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

A Hunter Biden original. Value $500,000 approx.

that is hideous. It looks like he painted some of his lunch...after consuming four bottles of wine and throwing up...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:41pm
 but it's all subjective...

Wink
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
This from another thread:

How about Blue Poles, rubbished when purchased by the National Gallery but now almost priceless.

I remember watching a marvelous show quite some years ago about a Jewish couple who lived in a tiny rent-protected flat in New York, were considered experts in abstract art, and both hugely regarded by artists, buyers and dealers alike.

He in particular would evaluate countless numbers of works, some not much bigger than a train ticket, and most inexplicable to you or I.  The ones he rated always sold well, were hung in prestigious Galleries, and for the most part appreciated significantly in value over the years.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.  Especially those with deep pockets.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:55pm
 I like Blue Poles. Seen in person, it is impressive.

but it's all subjective...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:57pm
 I also liked the crazy art which emanated from the spinning machine at the Easter Show...

and some paint by numbers art...

whatever floats your boat...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>