Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Grant & Alana Williams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grant & Alana Williams
    Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm

Grant and Alana Williams confirmed on Monday that exclusive ties with leviathan owner Bob Peters are to be cut in 2022 so to welcome outside clients and to open a satellite stable in Victoria.

Western Australia’s leading stable, which has won two group 1 races over the past fortnight for the millionaire owner’s Peters Investments, issued a press release on Monday to say they that while they will still train for the owner, they are to welcome new clients into their stable and will no longer train full-time for Peters.

“From January 2022, Williams Racing will be refocusing their stable client structure to welcome the opportunity for new owners to be part of one of Australia’s most successful racing stables over the last decade,” the release said. 

“Previously, the Williams Racing stable has predominantly trained for one client Peters Investments, who’s horses have enjoyed incredible and sustained success.

“However, Grant and Alana now believe the time is right to change direction with their stable to allow a more diverse client base to enjoy the thrill of racing their horses under the Williams Racing banner.”

The Williams team has trained nearly 600 winners for Peters Investments since they began their partnership in 2014 with winners of the ilk of G1 winners Arcadia Queen, Delicacy, Celebrity Queen and Regal Power. In that time, they have boasted a strike-rate of an extraordinary 26.4 per cent.

While no training centre has been named as yet in Victoria, the dominant husband and wife training team confirmed they will have a presence in Victoria from early in the new year.

“As a part of Grant and Alana’s commitment to future success, Williams Racing will be opening a boutique Melbourne satellite stable to compliment their Perth operation,” the release said.

“Having already had substantial experience and success racing horses in Victoria, they believe the opening of a Melbourne stable will allow their horses to maximise the opportunity to race and win at the elite level and give their horses their best opportunity to tap into the wonderful prizemoney racing horses in Victoria offers.”

The stable last Saturday won the G1 Winterbottom Stakes with Graceful Girl a week after winning the G1 Railway Stakes with Western Empire, who will start at odds-on in Saturday’s final G1 of the year the Kingston Town Classic (1800m).

Peters said he was content to continue the association with the Williams stable.

“If that is what they want, I am happy,” he told Perth’s TABRadio on Monday. “I’ll adjust to whatever people want.

“By the sound of this morning’s announcement, it looks like they are happy to train some for us and its up to them as to how many and we’ve made it common knowledge that we will be spreading the news ones around when they come back in.”

Peters said the announcement was expected. “Grant came to me back in September and told me he wasn’t happy with the current arrangement.

“He felt that their talents were being underutilised with looking after the young ones in quiet times of the year.

“He was looking for a different sort of style for his operation. I accept that. Everyone has to make their own decisions and go forward and do what they think is right for them.”

Williams said he is yet to make a decision on who will train his Railway Stakes winner Western Empire in Melbourne in the autumn. Danny O’Brien trained Superstorm for Peters to win the G1 Cantala Stakes at Flemington this spring.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 2:12pm
From what Peters said it sounds like he was only finding out about the details of their plans from the media release.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:25pm
I see it as a strategic move. I wish Bob Peters a long life but the Williams' needed to plan in case the goldmine closed. Common business sense.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 1:10am
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

From what Peters said it sounds like he was only finding out about the details of their plans from the media release.

Will be interesting to see what he does in light of this. Does he branch out further too? 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:24am
Maybe Adam Durrant will be given more of the Peters horses?
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

Will be interesting to see what he does in light of this. Does he branch out further too? 
Sounds like it…

“By the sound of this morning’s announcement, it looks like they are happy to train some for us and its up to them as to how many and we’ve made it common knowledge that we will be spreading the news ones around when they come back in.”
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Graceful Girl - Timeform rating of 115 for winning G1 Winterbottom Stakes.

That was a pretty special win you talk about windburn I'm tipping the cream was out for most of those after the race. Beer
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 3:56pm
My friend Bill who doesn't come on here very often these days sent me a message saying the Williams team were screwed down to a basic day rate of $65 (plus GST?) for each of the Peters horses.

That's way below normal rates, even in WA where we pay $80 plus GST to another well known barn. 

Don't know if that's of particular relevance or not.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm
As my Dad always used to say to me, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:54pm
The following, courtesy of the Customer Racing Information Service WA website, was omitted from the above statement about the change, and adds to speculation that the day rate was too low and begs the question as to whether the Williams team was or wasn't entitled to the normal 10% of prizemoney courtesy of any separate agreement with Peters Investments:

Confusion surfaced last week after Grant Williams expressed publicly his concerns about the stable's future with Peters continuing under their existing financial arrangement.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
Bob peters and the Williams have split.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

My friend Bill who doesn't come on here very often these days sent me a message saying the Williams team were screwed down to a basic day rate of $65 (plus GST?) for each of the Peters horses.  That's way below normal rates, even in WA where we pay $80 plus GST to another well known barn. 

The Williams team were allegedly training at a significant loss re daily upkeep of the Peters' horses, and their 10% (some say 5%) was needed to offset that loss before they began to turn a profit.

Both parties may well benefit from the "divorce" in the longer run.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 2:48pm
Partnership dissolved. Now just Grant Williams.

Racing and Wagering West Australian announced all participants will need to be double vaccinated against Covid by Monday in order to attend a race meeting.
Time is a flat circle
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:40pm
There is probably a hint there. Only one vaccinated?
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
 Post Reply Post Reply