Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

GOLF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GOLF
    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 4:22pm
Sad demise of who a golfer who once appeared to be of  jovial character.

Edited by Gay3 - 27 Jan 2024 at 6:21pm
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 1:17am
gelati happens.    Just shows golfers can be A***holes too
animals before people.
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:04am
LOL. You've obviously never played AA. One round generally proves that. LOL
longevity does not equate to credibility
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:25am
True.  Never played.  OH is a fanatic tho.  LOL
animals before people.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:03pm
Rather than take up the corona thread  A big thank you to JJ.

Tried your chipping technique and it worked an absolute treat. I’ve attempted it before after seeing some videos but I wasn’t getting my hands forward of the ball enough. I pushed myself to do so today with great results 

Didn’t try the cross hand putting stroke as it was suggested my putter was the issue. Played with a mates odessey and drained them so I’ll be jumping on eBay soonHug
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:22pm
 Clap

I miss my golf. I've only hit one bucket of balls since I had my back fused. It was awkward not being able to swivel but it was like heaven doing it.

I once was intending to play every golf course in NSW and Queensland, but only managed half. Two brats curtailed it for a good few years. 

Where do you play?

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
There a group of 5 of us and we play about a dozen different course. Not members anywhere. I could imagine anything worse than playing the same course every week

This year we’ve played at
The Coast
Stonecutters Ridge
Lynwood
Windsor 
Richmond 
Riverside Oaks 
Muirfield 
Gordon 
North Turramuura 
Asquith 
North Ryde
The Springs
Shelly Beach 
Glenmore Heritage
Blayney
Lithgow
Dubbo
Bonville 

I’m sure I’ve missed oneLOL

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

True.  Never played.  OH is a fanatic tho.  LOL

has he played Cypress Lakes, up your way?

My OH and I played the front nine when it was only half-finished (obviously). We took the first rugrat along with us in the cart, and I nearly rolled it on the ninth. You can see why my family was always relieved I never got my car licence.

Embarrassed 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:30pm
Adjust the auto spell

There’s a group of 5 of us and we play about a dozen different course. Not members anywhere. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than playing the same course every week

The Coast
Stonecutters Ridge
Lynwood
Windsor 
Richmond 
Riverside Oaks 
Muirfield 
Gordon 
North Turramuura 
Asquith 
North Ryde
The Springs
Shelly Beach 
Glenmore Heritage
Blayney
Lithgow
Dubbo
Bonville 

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:31pm
Why would you bother playing the better courses on that list?

Strawberries to pigsWink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:33pm
Depends on what you call the better courses
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:35pm
Exactly my point.

Strawberries…..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:39pm
I’ve got no idea what your claiming 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

There a group of 5 of us and we play about a dozen different course. Not members anywhere. I could imagine anything worse than playing the same course every week

The Coast
Stonecutters Ridge
Lynwood
Windsor 
Richmond 
Riverside Oaks 
Muirfield 
Gordon 
North Turramuura 
Asquith 
North Ryde
The Springs
Shelly Beach 
Glenmore Heritage
Blayney
Lithgow
Dubbo
Bonville 

I love Bonville. I have so many photos of the original bunkers on the ninth...which were unplayable. You had to hit out backwards. They eventually modified them after endless complaints. 

North Ryde is a nice little course. I hit off one downhill par three there with a putter, It works. 

Riverside Oaks...I hit the very first ball ever on that course when it was being constructed. My brother-in-law was responsible for its conception and getting Greg Norman to help design it. I played in the pro-am behind Greg and B-I-L, and had lunch with them. The Shark is a nice guy, despite his political beliefs. 

The Coast I've played countless times. We used to go swimming at Little Bay, after. 

The others, I haven't played. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
When it’s not crowded or the overzealous Marshalls are not around Bonville is my “happy place” I simpl6 just love being there. A great course 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:49pm

I’ve got no idea what your claiming 

The design, the intracies and the condition of the better course are wasted on poor players.

The very fact you can’t easily identify them, from a list you provided, confirms my POV.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:52pm
Oh, your a gun are youLOL

Trying to derail another thread with your pathetic sniping?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:55pm

When it’s not crowded or the overzealous Marshalls are not around Bonville is my “happy place” I simpl6 just love being there. A great course 
Hahahaha.

Overzealous……

If you can’t keep up with the group ahead, get the fvck off the course!

I remember playing on the Pines at Sanctuary Cove, and was chatting to the course marshal mid round.
He knew exactly which groups were slowing the field down, and how many minutes behind the pace they were.

One group can fvck up the works for players behind them for the rest of the day.

I hate chopsies on the golf course!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm
My brother is a member of Carnarvon. He can keep it. I played there once and never wanted to, again.   Same for Kogarah. Bunkers full of stones.

My OH was a member of Randwick, so I was forced to join there. It's small, but when the wind gets up it's nightmarish. He was also a member of Souths' Golf Club. They made me an honorary member, the only female allowed. Even designed a shirt for me. Good times. Most are now dead, unfortunately. 

I prefer not to be a member of anywhere. I like to play around. (golfers joke...don't tell you know who I said it)   

My favourite course of all of them, is Robina Woods. If you get the chance, play it. Designed to mimic Augusta.

Thumbs Up

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:01pm

I had forgotten about the overzealous marshalls. Yeah...they're a pain. I love the nineteenth, the Japanese style dressing rooms and the spa. I presume they are still there. It's been twenty years since I last played it.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:02pm
There was a nice little course at Rose Bay that I had one game at with a mate of mine both about 20 , I had worked for 12 months or so for East Bros. later P.G.F. he a golf fanatic , me a punter , enjoyed the game , my mate 25 years later trained Dinky Flyer who knock off Our Waverley Star in the QE at Randwick. fun days , 19 th hole was ok too. Smile
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Hahahaha.

Overzealous……

If you can’t keep up with the group ahead, get the fvck off the course!

I remember playing on the Pines at Sanctuary Cove, and was chatting to the course marshal mid round.
He knew exactly which groups were slowing the field down, and how many minutes behind the pace they were.

One group can fvck up the works for players behind them for the rest of the day.

I hate chopsies on the golf course!

what snobbery...

so, only single markers get to play the 'good' courses...?????

I taught three of my brothers' kids how to play, on the Sanctuary Cove courses...with no problems from the marshals. If we looked like holding up play, we let groups through. 

I hate golf-snobs...

Angry
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:09pm
I wonder how many course records Billy Dunk held in NSW. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:13pm
Whoa!!!!

If you’re letting groups through, you’re not holding up play.
Unfortunately, that’s a rarity.
Usually, the weaker golfers don’t understand the etiquette.

I played the Vintage the last 3 days.

On the Friday, it took one hour to play the first 3 holes.
We had to insist that the group in front (x3) let us play through.
In Saturday comp it took a touch over 4 hours, and on Sunday, we were off early and zipped around in under 3 hours.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

There was a nice little course at Rose Bay that I had one game at with a mate of mine both about 20 , I had worked for 12 months or so for East Bros. later P.G.F. he a golf fanatic , me a punter , enjoyed the game , my mate 25 years later trained Dinky Flyer who knock off Our Waverley Star in the QE at Randwick. fun days , 19 th hole was ok too. Smile

well, Carioca...unless your mate was in with the money crowd, I presume you're talking about Woollahra Golf Course. Nice and flat, go around twice, after a long wait to get off both the first and ninth tee. Played it countless times, occasionally looking through the fence at Royal Sydney, next door. I was invited to play RS once, but had to decline for jealousy reasons. My OH hated me playing with other men.

Embarrassed

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Whoa!!!!

If you’re letting groups through, you’re not holding up play.
Unfortunately, that’s a rarity.
Usually, the weaker golfers don’t understand the etiquette.

I played the Vintage the last 3 days.

On the Friday, it took one hour to play the first 3 holes.
We had to insist that the group in front (x3) let us play through.
In Saturday comp it took a touch over 4 hours, and on Sunday, we were off early and zipped around in under 3 hours.

And barely enjoyed the experience.

Time shouldn't be the main factor. Four hours is dignified.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I wonder how many course records Billy Dunk held in NSW. 

he was worth watching, dear old Dilly Bunk, as we used to call him.

Clap

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:21pm
He was working for Neville Begg at the time and was good mates with journo Keith Robbins ( who I think was mates with the local pro.) you know JJ sometimes it's not what you know ,blabla , but your right it was that course and I remember it was bloody cold , the big one was next door , long time ago , bout 62/3 .
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:23pm
 I didn't start playing until about ten years after that...

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
Did you know there was a 9 hole course on the corner of Botany Street and High Street Randwick ? cleared about /60. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>