Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

banner ad

Glen Boss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

Everybody knows why he doesn’t get rides! He does not ride to instructions at all! He thinks he’s above instructions and he’s been known to ride horses upside down.

Great example was So You Think in the Emirates. Bart told him to take a sit but Boss ignored him and led, subsequently getting run down by All American (of all horses). Lost the ride on So You Think forever.
Sponsored Links
banner ad

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:40pm
Remember when he told connections of a VRC Oaks ride that their filly was the slowest he had ever ridden, or words to that effect? No doubt he is an A-grader through and through. Can ride a big race though and really that’s all I care about if I’m backing one he’s on.
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:50pm
Fantastic ride Saturday. Gotta take the good with the bad with him.

Gave me some great memories & some poor one's for us, on one of ours.

But Saturday was a masterclass... and he called it throughout the week.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:53pm
Brutal should’ve been in the 3yo races, would’ve given Autumn Sun a run for his money.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Brutal should’ve been in the 3yo races, would’ve given Autumn Sun a run for his money.

Nice call Xavier, pretty much on the money imo.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:47pm

Triple Melbourne Cup-winning hoop Glen Boss will be based back in Australia by the end of the month, bringing his Singapore stint to a close.

Boss, who turns 50 in August, said making the decision to return home after three years in Singapore has further reinvigorated him, as he plans to bow out of the Asian jurisdiction after riding on Kranji Stakes day on Saturday week.

The 82-time Group One-winner added that there is one feature race left on his bucket list, as he looks to complete the Grand Slam of Australian racing.
"I'm really excited to be really honest," Boss told Sky Sports Radio.

"I've been toying with the decision for a little while, but once I made the decision, I felt like I'm really locked in. I've still got the energy, I've still got the drive, I've still got the passion to ride, it's always been there and probably even stronger now.

READ: Boss forecasts return to local riding ranks

"I'm fit as I've probably ever been in my life, physically and mentally I'm still well, I still think I've got a lot to offer.

"There's one itch I've got left to scratch - I'd really love to win the Caulfield Cup, then I can say I've won the four. That would sit pretty good with me."

Boss has won the other three majors on multiple occasions. Makybe Diva's hat-trick in the Melbourne Cup is supplemented in Boss' long list of achievements by three Cox Plates (2005, '09, '12) and two Golden Slippers (1995, 2008).

In terms of where he'll base himself, Boss said it looks like Melbourne will be home again, with trips to his home state Queensland for the winter carnival early doors - but could yet base himself in Brisbane going forward.

"Initially I'll go back to Melbourne, and base myself out of Melbourne for the time being," he said.

"And make my way up to Brisbane for the rest of the carnival.

"And then I'll sit down with family and make some decisions after that, where I'll base myself, and possibly it'll be Queensland and follow the carnivals around.

"There's so much good stuff going on in Australia at the moment, it's hard to ignore."

Since 2016, Boss has ridden 137 winners in Singapore, and sits fifth in the 2019 premiership with 17.

In April, Boss continued his stunning affinity with the Doncaster Mile, with Brutal becoming his seventh winner in the time-honoured handicap.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:06am
If Brett Prebble struggles for a ride in Victoria, Boss shouldn’t even consider Melbourne.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:59pm
He gives the same speil as soon as he gets the gelatis on people. He will pretend to be everyone's buddy mate!! Then move on
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:06pm
Already given up on QLD
Moving to Sydney this week
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:22pm
Probably thinks he can squeeze in on Shinn's connections.

Wish him good luck with that
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:09pm
He should ! He’s such a genuine guy that ouzzes trust and friendship! Great asset to Sydney racing. Good on you BUDDY!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:12pm
Finishes up in Sydney tomorrow.
Will do 2 weeks quarantine and then be based out of Melbourne for the Spring Carnival.
Always was, always will be
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
Bossy has announced his retirement 
Saturday will be his last day in the saddle
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm
Jeez he'd be a monty to ride at least one winner wouldn't he? The question is which one?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:46pm

Boss Bombshell: Champ retiresIn a major shock, champion jockey Glen Boss is set to retire after Saturday’s Zipping Classic meeting at Caulfield.

The 52-year-old rider of 90 Group 1 winners across a glittering career has decided his ride on import Spanish Mission will bring down the curtain on his career.

The country Queenslander came to Sydney in 1995 and enjoyed instant feature-race success before his grand association with three-time (2003-05) Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva. 

The surprise announcement is certain to inject new interest into Saturday’s final feature meeting in Melbourne for the spring with Boss’ final ride aboard the Zipping Classic’s hot favourite.

MORE TO COME
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:47pm
A great career comes to an end. Grest work Bossy.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:52pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:57pm
I can almost guarantee he’ll be back within 12 months or so. This has fake retirement written all over it. 

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:59pm
Bit of Farnsy about it you reckon?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:04pm
Just three wins from 93 rides this season.  Hope he can go out a winner.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:04pm
Cant stand the bloke myself but jeez that's an impressive resume. What a career! Beer

He may plan to train.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Cant stand the bloke myself but jeez that's an impressive resume. What a career! Beer

He may plan to train.
Step away Bossy. No more to achieve and you will be remembered for all your great success. Would be a shame to see him try to prolong his career when it’s obvious the young guys are really taking over. Thanks for the memories Clap
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Bit of Farnsy about it you reckon?

Just think he loves the limelight. He’s an attention seeker for mine. Plus, he was all gung-ho about getting to Melbourne for the spring, excited to get on Incentivise & Sir Dragonet, keen to work hard in Melbourne. This was all very recent. And now all of a sudden retirement. I don’t believe it’s permanent. He’ll be back by next spring is my guess. 

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:38pm
He said that his desire to get to Melbourne was fuelled by having the ride on Incentivise in the CC as he hasn't ridden the winner in that race, perhaps the retirement was in the back of his mind even then?

He's 52, so maybe strict lifestyle requirements of being a jockey have finally become to much?
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:00pm
Entain, owner of Ladbrokes, Neds, Betstar and Bookmaker, have announced Boss will be joining their content team exclusively.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:05pm
One big factor in moving back to Melbourne was that he and his wife felt isolated in Sydney with their kids living in Melbourne.
Wanted to move back to be closer to them.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:32pm
Have to say. Met him once at a country cup where he was the guest at the dinner the night before.   Could not have run into a nicer bloke.   I ask him to sign stuff for a charity auction and he was more than happy to.   Just chatted away like we were mates.  Offered me a piece of his memorabilia to sell when he found out it was for a charity.
Could not fault him.
Best of luck Bossy. 
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:46pm
G. Boss and Private Steer , thanks for the memories Bossy ! StarStarStar
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:51pm

"I'm one of those individuals who is always 100 per cent, chips in all the way, and I made a promise to myself more than a decade ago … that if I got to the point in my riding career when I wasn't fully committed and all the way in, then it was time to finish."

Boss said he had begun to face psychological hurdles late in his career.

"I just felt I was slipping a bit mentally," he said.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:37am
Look I have never been one of his fans, but there is one aspect to his career that I find intriguing.

Throughout his career he was never the stable rider for any big operation. Yes he had that short time where he was with Gai but at the time I think Chris Munce and Danny Beasley and a few others were getting the better rides. 

When I look at the most successful jockeys over the last 30 years, most of them were getting the plum rides from the big stables.

Shane Dye, Darren Beadman, Damien Oliver, the two Cassidy brothers, Craig Williams, Chris Munce, Hugh Bowman, McEvoy, MacDonald. they were all helped by major stable service.

Boss had rides from top stables, especially Waller in those mile races, and Gai in the mid to late 90's but was never a top No.1 stable rider. He got the ride on his champion Makybe Diva due to his relationship with the David Hall yard and kept it when she was transferred.

The only other two riders who come close for me to him are Brian York (who had Bruce McLachlan and Jack Denham but they did not have huge group 1 winners at the time), and Grant Cooksley, who was freelance when he arrived in Australia, then he was supplied by Graeme Rogerson and John Hawkes but he was never the stable rider. But Boss has a superior record statistically.

Top rider who was very good but not quite as good as he thought he was. 

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic