Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gladys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm
Still prefer Our Glad to that nutter up north,,,,Pildipgelati.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:55pm
No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Its a different persona in operation there. Politicians are masters of perception management, but basically subject to the same foibles as all of us.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:01pm
One Premier fell over a bottle of wine ...

Gladys has NO choice ... Her days are over.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:13pm
Morrison still backing Gladys. Is it incontestable, that she lied under oath ? If so, this is a watershed moment in Australian public life, if that that goes through to the keeper,
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:21pm
She, as premier of a state, continued to secretly see someone for 2 years after she sacked him for corruption. This is who Morrison is backing.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:26pm
I just want to know whether it is unambiguous, that she lied under oath, if that is deemed a minor infraction, then we are on the slippery slope.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Morrison still backing Gladys. Is it incontestable, that she lied under oath ? If so, this is a watershed moment in Australian public life, if that that goes through to the keeper,
Max, have you not taken any interest in the inquiry into hotel quarantine in Victoria ? Ministers before the inquiry gave evidence under oath. Could the ICAC inquiry be the second watershed ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:29pm
Steer yourself away from that obsession, BB, I asked a clear question, did Gladys lie under oath, I have heard she did, but the media seems shy about it.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:43pm
She said that if she felt that he had been doing anything wrong she would have reported it as she should do.

They then played a recording of her phone conversation with him where he was boasting of what he was up to. She said she dismissed it.

Very suspect at best.

During a morning of stunning revelations, the inquiry heard intercepted phone calls in which Maguire told Berejiklian that he potentially stood to make hundreds of thousands of dollars if land owned by the racing heir Louise Waterhouse near the site of the new Western Sydney airport was rezoned.

The payment would have been enough to pay off “about half” of his $1.5m personal debt, Maguire told Berejiklian in one phone call.

Berejiklian responded: “I don’t need to know about that bit”.

In a sometimes tense exchange with counsel assisting the inquiry, Scott Robertson, Berejiklian denied she had been trying to limit her knowledge of Maguire’s activities, saying she: “probably would have firstly not regarded it as interesting to me, it was not something I paid particular attention to”....

The inquiry has previously heard Maguire had been lobbying government officials on behalf of Waterhouse, and had given the racing heir access to Berejiklian’s direct email address.

Another intercepted phone call played on Monday revealed that Maguire told Berejiklian that Waterhouse was going to email her, saying she was “really pissed off”.

The premier described the email as “irregular”, and said she had deleted it. Asked whether she had ever given the issue “a tickle from the top” on behalf of Maguire she replied “absolutely not”.

She then clarified: “not to my recollection, I should say”.

But Berejiklian was grilled by the inquiry commissioner, Ruth McColl SC, over whether she had suspicions about Maguire’s dealings.

“Were you by this stage starting to be concerned that Mr Maguire was talking to you about a deal in which he would make a profit as a member of parliament out of a large-scale investment with which the NSW government was concerned?” McColl asked.

Berejiklian replied that Maguire was “always talking big” about deals, and that a lot of what he said was “fanciful”.

“I wouldn’t have registered a concern at that stage, because he was always talking big about deals and they always seemed to fall through,” she said.

Earlier in the hearing the premier denied knowing about improper conduct by Maguire, telling Icac on Monday she “made the assumption that he was always doing the right thing”.

The NSW Icac is investigating allegations Maguire misused his position as an MP and parliamentary secretary to improperly gain a benefit for himself or for G8way International, a company he “effectively controlled”.

The inquiry previously heard Maguire sought payments to help broker deals for Chinese property developers, and helped “grease the wheels” of a deal to sell the racing heir Louise Waterhouse’s land near the proposed western Sydney airport in 2017 and 2018.

But in bombshell revelations on Monday, Berejiklian revealed she had been in a “close personal relationship” with Maguire from around the 2015 election.

“I would like to say at the outset that Mr McGuire was a colleague of 15 years, he was someone that I trusted ... and that developed into a close personal relationship,” she said.

The relationship, which was kept secret from parliamentary colleagues because, the premier said, “I’m a very private person”, continued after Maguire was forced to resign in 2018 after a separate Icac inquiry heard he had sought payment to help broker deals for some property developers.

The premier said the contact had continued after he resigned and that she had ended her relationship with Maguire “a few months ago”.

“He was someone in a very bad state [and] after having known him for 15 years I felt I should check on his welfare,” she said.

“When I was asked to support this inquiry, it became apparent to me that I should have absolutely no contact any more with that individual.”

The inquiry heard Berejiklian was aware Maguire had legitimate business dealings outside parliament, including on one occasion informing the premier about a $5,000 commission he received on the sale of a motel in 2014.

“Congrats!!! Great news!! Woo hoo,” she wrote in an email at the time.

But Berejiklian said she had always “made the assumption that he was always doing the right thing”, and denied suggestions from the counsel assisting the inquiry, Scott Robertson, that she had “on more than one occasion” sought to “discourage Mr Maguire from giving you details on his outside interests?”

“I would never ever, never ever, turn a blind eye from any responsibility [or] any wrongdoing I saw, or any activity not in keeping with what a parliamentarian should be doing – I want to make that very clear,” she said.

The inquiry heard recordings of a number of private phone conversations between Berejiklian and Maguire in which he complained about his personal debt, and difficulties with a company called UWE Commodities.

Icac has heard Maguire had financial ties to UWE but Berejiklian said she did not know that at the time.

“From my recollection it was about jobs, regional jobs,” she said. “I didn’t even know what UWE was.”

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:59pm
I'm only more confused, as to whether she lied under oath, that is the key issue.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:22pm
"Not to my recollection". The way of saying 'no' without saying 'no'. Your supporters will still keep the faith but if proven that something did happen then you didn't 'lie' you just didn't recall.

MR ROBERTSON: Can I just confirm, though, that you agree that Mr
Maguire told you about the extent of his debts?---On reflection, yes, yep.
When you say “on reflection,” what do you mean by that?---Well, I hadn’t, I
hadn’t remembered until you brought it to my attention recently, yep.

So you’re drawing attention to the fact that during the compulsory
examination, I showed you - - -?---Correct, you, you did, yep.
- - - some evidence that suggested that Mr Maguire had told you about those
things?---Yep, had, correct.

And is that something that you have an independent recollection of, or is
that something that you only recall now because I showed you some
evidence about that when you attended?---I think a combination of both. I
wouldn’t have remembered anything specifically. I would have
remembered general conversations. But I think what you showed me was
specific in terms of what he raised with me. 

Did Mr Maguire speak to you in 2017 about problems that were being faced
by a firm called United World Enterprises and/or its managing director, who
goes by the name of Jimmy?---I had no recollection of that until you
brought it to my attention, and subsequent to that, it did jog my memory,
yep.

20 And what do you now recall about communications in connection with
United World Enterprises and/or a person by the name of Jimmy?---The
only thing I recall was provided detail in the private examination or private
hearing, when you disclosed Mr Maguire had a conversation about me about
concern over job losses with that company. Yep. But I, but I remember
asking you what the UWE was, because I didn’t know what it was, and I
didn’t remember what it was, yep.

Do you now know or can you now recall why Mr Maguire was involved as
you understood it in this United World Enterprises issue?---Well, only
30 because of the additional information that’s come out of the hearing and
information also provided by other witnesses.
Does any of that jog your recollection as to what was happening in 2017
regarding that issue?---Vaguely, vaguely, vaguely. Not in relation to him,
but in relation to my office’s actions, yep.

So do you recall whether any issue concerning United World Enterprises
was raised with you by your then chief of staff, Ms Cruickshank?---I do
recall that either my office or Minister Blair himself told me that they had
40 received a concern from Mr Maguire that he’d wanted to – obviously this is
now on the public record – attend some delegation, and my office had
rightly asked him not to do that.

She's had 2 months to practice her answers for this public hearing.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:31pm
Curious indifference to what he was talking to her about and doing, at best.

Comes down to intent, but an unfortunate tractor accident accidentally destroying a heap of evidence doesn't help in determining that. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:38pm
Reading between the lines here. She said that she didn't know what UWE was at that original hearing (or whatever it was) back in August. They then played her the tapes of her knowing what it was and discussing it. Whether that hearing/questioning whatever was under oath I don't know.

Now we come to the now. She is under oath and the answers are along the lines of I didn't remember that happening until you showed me evidence that it did. 

So under oath now I guess technically not lying but only because she already knew what all the evidence was going to be. 
Time is a flat circle
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:43pm
Who is pulling all the long faces at the daily Coronavirus Conferences now Gladys is being bent over ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm
I think CMO Kerry Chant and her are still fronting.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:46pm
people who dodge, duck and weave adroitly, are not to be trusted, I am just amazed that news outlets were making it sound as if she definitely perjured herself, but journalists these days seem more intent on picking winners, than sticking to hard facts.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:50pm
It is not over yet, and ICAC do not go after Premiers without plenty behind them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:52pm

people who dodge, duck and weave adroitly, are not to be trusted, I am just amazed that news outlets were making it sound as if she definitely perjured herself, but journalists these days seem more intent on picking winners, than sticking to hard facts.

I haven't read the whole transcript but just picked out a couple of parts. As I've said before don't just listen to the media, like I foolishly did yesterday (take my own advice lol), go to the source and get the facts.

She's still 100% full of gelati though LOL
Time is a flat circle
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:06pm
All his mates getting caught corruptin' 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:10pm
I can/t see her escaping ....     has to go ...    
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:17pm
Alan Jones id wrong on this one ...      Gladys knew enough years ago to sack him but continued to share the bed of a Shady married man,

OHHH NO NO NO ....     I can't believe Scomo , Jones etc would lower their Standards to condone this one ....        Like Barnaby , Blanche Hawke etc ...       Weed your own gardens before being part of such high Office .

Gladys has the Morals of an alley cat and has to go.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:21pm
As we know, adultery is not part of the criminal code, what exactly she ought resign over, has only to do with her function as Premier, and whether she broke any laws that are on the books. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:33pm

As we know, adultery is not part of the criminal code, what exactly she ought resign over, has only to do with her function as Premier, and whether she broke any laws that are on the books.

I know ...    She broke the laws of her position . She was knowingly , the partner of a man who she knew was a guilty person . (consorting )
the events may be clearer after Maguire is finished on the stand.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
It isn't a crime to be in a sexual relationship with a criminal, otherwise all those bikie sluts would have to get a job.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:43pm
Whether it is a crime or not her position as leader of NSW is untenable.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:45pm
I am only interested in whether she broke the law, if she has, the police should charge her. If not, I am not interested in any of her shenanigans.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:46pm
How long did Barry O'Farrell hang on after he admitted to getting the bottle of Grange?

Wasn't Gladys one of the Ministers advising him to step down?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm
Let's face it, the era where politicians would resign on principle, is a fast-receding memory. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:05pm
Have also just seen there is a photo at a ribbon cutting that includes her and Iwan Sunito, a man she said she doesn't know.

Now there'd be a few photos around of me with people I don't know usually while on a night out but you would think 4 people at a ribbon cutting ceremony would be introduced to each other at some stage.
Time is a flat circle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>