Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

MICK PRICE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

At least he has had a lot of years at Caulfield.

Poor Phillip Stokes decides to grow his business and make the switch to Caulfield, and 8 months later he sees the race club kick him out within the next five years.

Lloyd Kennewell?

They warned any trainers looking at relocating there within the last few years that they’re expecting it to close in 5 years. So I’m not sure why he’s so surprised.
to the victor
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Originally posted by monty1 monty1 wrote:

Yes, maybe Flemington in another 10 years. There is nothing at Pakenham! Good luck getting staff there.

Absolutely, it's a hell hole, pisses down in winter, and summer happens once a week, boring as bat gelati, and how many good horses are coming out of there? Even the boom trainers from NZ with their huge stable have to go bush to win races.

Agree, I worked at the races there this winter and couldn’t believe they built a racetrack in that swampy wasteland
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Bendigo. Great place.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

The number of trainers based out of Ballarat has increased 75% in five years.
That's my point. The fact that it's such a horrible place to be hasn't stopped the trainers from setting up shop.

If the facilities are good enough, the property market out at Nar Nar Goon won't be adding much to their costs.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:52am
That hurts Ouch  LOL LOL LOL
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Ballarat is a nice place. Everywhere has its bad parts, but some parts of Ballarat are lovely. I love the area near the beautiful Lake Wendouree.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 2:42pm
I'll admit, it does paint a pretty picture in the rear view mirror.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:29pm
Tell it like it is Mick!!!! Best sacking advice I've ever heard..............in less than a minute LOLLOLLOL

Apparently 12mths old but I've never heard it before & apparently loving his new career Big smile

Copy/paste https://www.racing.com/news/2020-06-11/news-tugcoats-quick-career-change?fbclid=IwAR30fEGChyBDJ1i56Ae3RsFrA_Baak7DQo2K7FPqwx0QQZ_WzBUmFE2vQK4

Tugcoats quick career change

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Jun 2021 at 11:37pm
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:33am
At least his strapper loves him.......he's going to a new home, as in home, he's a slow bugger, the fate for them is usually Echuca or worse.......a happy ending for this one.......well, you know what I mean.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 1:40pm
I like trainers that dont string owners on and on.  And on.  Cry Lets hope he goes well for the girl. Lucky horse.
And Ballarat is quite nice we thought, after our visit with Gay.   Wonderful facilities at the track and the uphil gallop would be the envy of many.
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 2:06pm
Racing.com did a feature on this horse about 12 months ago
hope the link works (scroll down for the video)

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 12:06pm
Witty way to deliver bad news, glad he got a good home, sooooo glad he didnt get sent to the end before the end, the hurdles. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:25pm

The yearling sales might be done and dusted for another year in Australia, but that hasn't stopped Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr looking further afield to America this week to bolster their new acquisitions for the season.

On Tuesday at the Saratoga Yearling Sale in California, the Caulfield-based training duo went to US$250,000 (AU$340,000) for a colt by War Front, following on from an experiment last year which saw the team purchase four horses from the USA.

"Through an association we have with an American agent, it was probably a plan we put in place 18 months ago," Kent Jnr explained.

"Australians have been buying from the Northern Hemisphere for a little while now, but particularly the European market and the Tattersalls Sale have become quite expensive.

"We were knocked out of the park a few times with the average a quarter of a million sterling (AU$470,000).

"You get phone calls at 1, 2, 3am in the morning from agents and hang up disappointed you've missed out on another one.

"We feel in America if you go after those good turf pedigrees you can pluck out a horse at good value."

After last year selecting four colts by Declaration Of War, who sired Melbourne Cup winner Vow And Declare, VRC Derby winner Warning and Queensland Oaks victor Winning Ways, Kent said the early signs are promising from the experiment.

We were able to pick out the best types by Declaration Of War and 12 months on I'm really pleased to say they look impressive types," Kent Jnr said.

"You need to go after the pedigrees that make sense here and a lot of them don't suite to winning races in Australia - it's very polarised between dirt and turf.

"Last year's horses will more likely race at the end of the year, they are having their first jumpouts now but will probably be horses that will have a good go at the autumn.

"They are six months behind but as you saw with Russian Camelot, who was a bit of a trailblazer, if they are good horses they can cope with the deficit."

Kent said this year's acquisition would follow a similar path and now go to Kentucky to be spelled and broken in before flying to Australia in October.

"Saratoga is one of the best sales, it's over two nights with only just over 200 lots and the majority of horses make good money and it's where you go and be seen ... a bit like Magic Millions and Easter combined here," he said of the sale.

"The horse vetted spotless and Mick said go to $200,000 plus a bid, I thought stuff it lets go one more and we got him.

"A good horse is a good horse from anywhere ... we like to explore all the markets.

"The American invasion is coming."

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:45pm
What an absolute wank.......senility is setting in.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:01pm

Price breaks bones in bike fall

Trainer Mick Price has declared himself fit for duty despite spending a few days in hospital last week nursing the painful effects of a motorbike fall.

Price was on Saturday happy to announce his retirement from his hobby of riding dirt bikes.

"My motorbike riding career is in tatters," the 62-year-old lamented from his home on Saturday.

"I hit a fence and had a stack at home a week ago and Ive broken a couple of ribs and a collarbone and spent a few days in hospital.

"I was a work this morning and Ill just plugging away."

Price, who also punctured a lung in the accident, has quite a history of motor bike tumbles the most recent about five years ago when he broke a shoulder when falling at Phillip Island. His latest brush with death has however forced a rethink.

"My new bike is sitting there shattered but it can be revived and so can I," he said.

"But Id better give it away. It sort of makes me feel guilty and its not like I havent got a few commitments with all the horses so the bike riding career might be over again."

The injuries will not restrict him too much as he and his co-trainer Michael Kent Jnr press for multiple Group 1 glory this spring. 

"I am going to he Sandown gallops on Monday and off to The Valley on Tuesday and weve got a few at Cranbourne to trial also so its pretty much business as usual."

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 5:55pm

Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr

• Odeum - Has returned to light training after recuperating from bone lesions. Will be assessed with a decision to be made if she will return to full training or head to the breeding barn this season.

• Get In The Spirit - Maribyrnong Trial winner who underwent surgery after a fetlock complaint. Spelling and will be aimed at the spring.

• Gunstock - Has been gelded since his most recent start in the Victoria Derby. Remains in the spelling paddock and will be seen again in the spring.

• Kurabui - Suffered from a rare and serious form of arrhythmia at her previous start in November. Will have her first trial back this week.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:22pm
THat will be the end of Gunstock as a serious racehorse.
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:05pm

EXCLUSIVE Mick Price interview: I have always been scared of failure

Snowy Clark

It would come as no surprise if you have listened to trainer Mick Price being interviewed, to know there is little room for sentiment. Black is black, white is white and there is no room for any shades of grey.

The persona is as perceived. Matter of fact. Hard isn’t the right word, focused and still driven, even at the age of 63 years young is Mick Price 2.0, embracing life, business and continued success.

Which is why you get a mention of the Jeff Bezos flywheel model as inspiration, and perhaps explains an Amazon like approach to buying and selling new products from around the globe.

It is well known when Price closed his Caulfield training base and moved to his self-designed Cranbourne facilities last November, the only thing that came were the horses and staff.

Some 25 years of trophies and memorabilia that documented the rise from a stable foreman for the Freedman Brothers at Epsom to one of the dominant players in Australian racing, were binned.

“I just chucked them out, they went into the skip, probably about 100 of them. It was a new stable, a new beginning, a new assistant trainer and I wanted to put the foot down,” Price says in his typical punter loving banter.

“It just gave me a totally fresh outlook, I was never looking back, my brain was focused on the future.”

So those 2218 wins as Mick Price were more just a noted statistic, the 35 Group 1 wins starting with Rustic Dream in the 1999 Futurity, a measure of talent and a dot point on the CV.

Now it is Price and Mick Kent Junior, just Junior will do in conversation, and already that partnership has spawned 401 wins, three group 1’s the latest in the South Australian Derby last weekend with Jungle Magnate, but that was last week, that’s in the rear-view mirror.

A Group One win with Jungle Magnate and Illation wins a Listed race, making it 3 in a row for the most handsome horse in the stable!! What a day! Super proud of Mick!! ???? ???? pic.twitter.com/ZBmnNeORTz

— Shona Drechsler ???????????????? (@ShonaDrechsler) May 14, 2022

This week it is chasing the Group 1 Goodwood in Adelaide again with his latest excitement machine Extreme Warrior, while Lombardo is more than just a back-up.

I remember talking to Price, probably some 15 years ago, about being a “lifer” in racing. As ever he was practical about it.

“It’s not as though I’ve got a business to sell,” he said.

But Price 2.0 has got much to still achieve and as much drive to get there.

And Cranbourne, Junior and new life partner (and bloodstock manager) Shona Dreschlar, are alongside to make that ride as fast as one of those 1000 RR motor bikes, he likes to slip around Phillip Island on to “relax”.

“I have always been scared of failure, but it is not in me to be complacent in business,” Price said.

He rolls out the Amazon Jeff Bezos “Flywheel” for reference.

It’s all about momentum, apply enough force and energy to start the flywheel moving and keep it rotating, keep building all the time and then it should feed itself, things have to be working 52 weeks a year,” he says.

Not that Price wants to be the biggest trainer, his Phillip Island quasi-Moto GP rival Ciaron Maher, can have that despite their regular trips to the Island to pretend they are Valentino Rossi. (“He’s 70kg, I’ve got 93kg of ballast to deal with,) he jokes.

Price is happy with the 80 boxes he has filled in the stables he has designed and speaks glowingly of, but it is more where these horses are coming from and the shop front attitude that excites him.

And with that shop front, you need product on the shelves, so that explains why, with Junior playing the seniors scout role, they bought two yearlings from the Arqana Ready To Run sale in France last week. They have also bought from America (try Green Belt) in the last 18 months along with their local buying spree to keep the boxes filled, owners fulfilled and a steady stream of new talent emerging.

Purchased last night.. Two Arqana Breeze Up colts sprinting up on the course proper in France. ???????? ????

Type ✅
Turn of foot ✅
Stride length ✅
Vet ✅

Lot 97 – Oasis Dream – €140
Lot 151 – Sea The Moon – €170

Ownership opportunities available! pic.twitter.com/eV7IqwNs6V

— Price Kent Racing (@MickPriceRacing) May 14, 2022

“As good as you think you are going, you have to have a youth policy, whether that is horses or staff,” he said.

“Football teams have a youth policy and sometimes buy the wrong recruits. But Junior is a good recruiter, he’s not just a good assistant trainer, he’s good with horses and the people and allows me to concentrate on the training, but there is a lot of time spent on assessing the horses and we have good people advising us.

“But I am out there taking the risk. I’m the one out there specing with my money, I don’t have an owner, Junior does the groundwork, but it’s like walking into a shop, you need to have product on the shelf. There is of course risk, trainers are out there with their 90 days interests free but when that runs out and the interests kicks in, it adds up and becomes a real burden.”

Price is quick though to praise the new home ground for his recruits and thinks the shift to Cranbourne has been significant in his rebirth, or regeneration.

“Cranbourne is undervalued in terms of our stable. I never considered Pakenham. When I came here (Cranbourne Turf Club CEO) Neil Bainbridge outlined a prime spot and allowed me to design the boxes, they are big, airy and clean.

“Caulfield had bird dropping problems, you could never bird proof the stables, and that led to problems. I have found with these stables we have a lot less issues with EIPH (internal bleeding) and less mucus problems.

“We have breezy stables, rubbered walls and floors, miles of grass gallops, no competing race club to use them, it’s a dedicated training facility with all you need, plus the deep sand and trails through the bush. It’s just perfect for me and I can’t see why this won’t become the best training centre in Australia.”

While Price admires the business model and size of the Maher/Eustace stable, they are neighbours again, while keeping his 80 boxes full is always the aim, a life balance remains as important, and with Dreschlar by his side, he has found more than just a business ally.

“Ciaron has got fantastic management, but those two boys are single, have no ties, look it is a very competitive game and owners need to see success and they do a terrific job and are very driven,” Price said.

“But I am very comfortable with where we are at. And Shona has been a massive part of that, the owners love her as well, she is brilliant in looking after them, as well as me.”

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Snowy Clark Snowy Clark wrote:

Some 25 years of trophies and memorabilia that documented the rise from a stable foreman for the Freedman Brothers at Epsom to one of the dominant players in Australian racing, were binned.

“I just chucked them out, they went into the skip, probably about 100 of them. It was a new stable, a new beginning, a new assistant trainer and I wanted to put the foot down,” Price says in his typical punter loving banter.

Surely they had some money value ?
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 3:07pm
Yes I think fans would of lined up to have them.  But everyone looks at things differently.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 3:48am
This tells me one thing about Mick Price.

He does not look back at previous preps or history.

This means as a trainer he just cares about getting the horses fit and placing them well which is good for the now, but it also gives me a reason why he does not have group 1 horses who can race at that level season in season out.

I can not think of more than five of his topline horses who have won group 1's over say a two or three year period. I might be missing one or two but not many.

I will be very interested to see how I'm Thunderstruck races next season. He has had a good twelve months, but can Mick price keep him going for another season at the highest level?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 1:53pm
Got a bloody Group 1 " sidekick " imho. StarStarStar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12