Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2022-2023-2024 Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 6:20pm
well done Voyager.  I tend to follow the ones I picked from the sales which include Veight and I am Unstoppable who unfortunately keeps coming second!

But it was nice to get a two out early in the season with Karavas and Arabian Summer both picks while the three girls In Secret, Espiona and Asfoora have been bright lights to follow.

Sunsets and Aethelflaed have stood up in the three year old ranks while Riff Rocket (mare line) and Aprilia (dam picked) also gave me some cheer. 

Tiz Invincible was good early and Wild Planet's last  win was over futher than he'd ever been.  Ersa and Rovno Amber are also showing some promise.

But I admit my favourite horse at the moment is Mr Brightside who I didn't pick but comes from a great female line and it is so good to see another great horse emerge from that line.

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 6:35pm
Good to read through all that, Voyager. This Spring delivered a lot more than I was expecting! Good job re your early comments on Sheraz! Wish I'd read them before now!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 12:27pm
It certainly has been an interesting start to the season.  Some things stay the same with I am Invincible and So You Think up the top of the sires standings.  But Zoustar and Pride of Dubai have had an enormous run throughout this last carnival.  While 2nd season stallions like Trapeze Artist, Prized Icon and Harry Angel produced their first G1 winners and The Autumn Sun, Grunt, Justify, Written By, Brave Smash and Sioux Nation all got black type winners or G1 placegetters or both.

I could be a changing of the guard is coming with two first season sires Alabama Express and Tassort both with 3 winners already and Sun City, Pierata, Exceedance. Cosmic Force and Strasbourg already producing winners.  And I didn't give the locals much chance this crop with Blue Point and Too Darn Hot the pick outs to me.  So it shows how wrong I can be.

We saw I am Invincible's son Hellbent get it first G1 winner yesterday.  Zoustar get another G1 winner and then some older names with Written Tycoon (2), Spirit of Boom, Playing God, Maurice, Brazen Beau and Pride of Dubai.

The staying events have on the whole gone to European bred stayers so it was nice to see and Australian Muramasa beating a NZ in Ladies Man in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.  But where were the NZ colts and fillies in the early classics?  The VRC Derby had three who all finished at the back of the field.  They did better in the Oaks with a fine third but only one other mid field runner.

Likewise only three turned up for the Spring Champion S for the best finish of 6th.  Then in the mile events we saw on runner in the Flight (10th), two ran in the Caulfield Guineas with Militarize (by Australia based Dundeel) 5th and an 11th.  While in the 1000 Guineas Coeur Volante ran well for 4th and Zourion (by Zoustar) finished 8th.

So either all the purchases for the NZ sales are late bloomers or sprinters?

My favourite runner for the spring was Mr Brightside who did stand up and be counted for the Kiwi's while I had a soft sport for oldtimer Buffalo River who had a couple of wins after a time in the wilderness.  

Tom Kitten's Spring Champion win was easy a bit like most of Imperatriz (I am Invincible) wins for the season.  She does gallop she waltzes over the turf.  That first win when she rounded the field up like they were standing still still being my favourite.

Alligator Blood also have a very good spring although both he and Mr Brightside went down in the Cox Plate it was a close call and anywhere after the post or before the post I think Mr Brightside might of had the win.  Just didn't get his head right for the shot that mattered.  

Fangirl was good but hard to find on the right day.  Riff Rocket and Aprilia had a very close finish in the Derby so hopefully both can bring the form forward to the Autumn.  Pride of Jenni, Hypothetical, Deny Knowledge, Chandon Burj etc gave Pride of Dubai his best spring ever.

It will be interesting who turns up in the Autumn.  But the spring certainly had a few twists and turns. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:34pm
Nice write-up furious, making me excited for the autumn already! Which will come around soon enough, by the time we get through the Sandown Caulfield meeting in a fortnight, the Ingham and silly season, it'll only be a few weeks and the good races will be starting again.
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 12:10pm
Classic aussie racing on Saturday...three handicap miles worth $1.5m, $1m and 500k.  And lo and behold we have three mediocre fields. Feel sorry for WA the most...at least their race has always been in this location on the calendar
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 11:59am
Is it just me or have Godolphin gone quiet at the moment.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 12:01pm
And Chris Waller who was having a quieter time than usual in the stakes races has stepped up and said I'm back.  While Gay and Adrians strangle hold on the slipper became a little less of a sure thing over the weekend.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 2:28pm
Just as a thought.  Our original 6 picks from the yearling sales was to see if we could do as good as Gai with her picks.  Glad it wasn't this season with the two year olds in her stable - well unless we had picked the same ones.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 3:18pm
Gai got a few more than 6 picks.
She nommed 150 for the slipper
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 4:01pm
True I think we had to pick six from the Easter Sale under the cost of what her six cost.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 5:59pm
She still hasnt won a Blue Diamond.  One thing missing on her sheet. Quiet odd really.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123