Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2022 season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022 season
    Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 3:37pm
Anyone on here still actually breed any? Thoughts on the season ahead?

I’ll be breeding 3 possibly 4 this year. All to Darley stallions, two here in Vic and the one in NSW and one ?

After an excellent sales season , I’m not convinced that the whole show can continue on for that much longer as monsoon like clouds hover over the financial world. 

Nevertheless I wouldn’t know what to do if I didn’t have at least a couple of babies to look forward to. Embarrassed

You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 12:34pm
We shut up shop about three years ago lulu.  Enjoyed the breeding and rearing side but the continual property maintenance finally got the better of us.  Were we still breeding would be very seriously looking at Xtravagant.

As per usual we've received a number of stallion parade invitations this season and will certainly be attending two or three.

There's still a few members still breeding so it'll be interesting to see if they have an opinion or two.

Be more than interested to hear what mares you now have and where you'll be sending them.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:54pm
Will send between 10-15 mares to stallions this season.

Expecting the heat to come out of the market - but that is ok.  Been too strong anyway. 

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 8:30pm
Cutting back from 2-3 a year to something like 2-3 every 2nd year . Mainly due to quitting my off farm job. Still love the game so will keep an interest going , just less of them. 
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

We shut up shop about three years ago lulu.  Enjoyed the breeding and rearing side but the continual property maintenance finally got the better of us.  Were we still breeding would be very seriously looking at Xtravagant.

As per usual we've received a number of stallion parade invitations this season and will certainly be attending two or three.

There's still a few members still breeding so it'll be interesting to see if they have an opinion or two.

Be more than interested to hear what mares you now have and where you'll be sending them.
Hey SC. I’m hearing you regards the property maintenance side of things. Never ending, and have just finished pruning back the 300 odd trees that we have planted over several years. Talk about a rod for your own back. Sheez. 
Our time will come one day too.
On my breeding this year, am sending 3 x quality Fastnet mares to Blue Point (2) and Pinatubo (1)

I have liked the Shamardal Fastnet cross via LDV for a while now and think it will suit them commercially, physically and most of all on the track. But the best laid plans as they say. 
Only time and the best of luck will tell.

Was lucky to get a Pinatubo as it turns out. They will be very popular first year I would imagine. 
As for Xtravagant, I fully concur that he is very much a stallion to use. And I probably should be doing so. 
I basically don’t send mares north anymore but made an exception for Pinatubo this coming season and Spirit of Boom a couple of years back.

Cheers
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

Will send between 10-15 mares to stallions this season.

Expecting the heat to come out of the market - but that is ok.  Been too strong anyway. 

Just the lazy 10 to 15 Sir Gov. You need to lift your game a bit old boy. Big smile
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by slowdown slowdown wrote:

Cutting back from 2-3 a year to something like 2-3 every 2nd year . Mainly due to quitting my off farm job. Still love the game so will keep an interest going , just less of them. 

A good plan Slowdown. Slowing down Wink
Surprising how quickly every other year comes around anyway.Thumbs Up
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:02pm
Very true Lulu. having trouble getting to work with the 3 weanlings already. Fortunately the seem so far good to handle. We missed putting the work into a filly the year before who is a half to Rebel and Renegade and at this point i am not sure we will bring her around. looking like being a broodmare due to nerves. not to worry. learning all the time.....

Edited by Gay3 - 26 Jun 2022 at 11:35pm
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 9:46pm
Got two rising 2yos and 2 yearlings to break in / generally get ready.   Bred nothing last season, likely taking two over to a SA stallion this year.  

Re the continual property maintenance SC, hearing you loud and clear - almost given up waiting for that Good Fairy to arrive and sort things out here though.  :)
suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply