Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

GLENFIDDICH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GLENFIDDICH
    Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:40pm
Well he’s found a stud home.

Aquis @ $8,800 a pop.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:43pm
Courtesy of Racing.com

Glenfiddich’s career on the racetrack was short-lived but the team at Aquis Farm is hoping his tenure as a stallion is long and successful after announcing the Group 2 winner will join their roster for 2022.

The son of Fastnet Rock failed to make it back to the track following his three-year-old spring campaign in 2020, in which he won the Group 2 Stutt Stakes (1600m) and was placed against the older horses in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m).

As a two-year-old, he was a narrow runner-up in the Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m) and was also placed in the Listed Blue Diamond Preview (1000m).

While he’d won two trials this year as trainer Peter Moody attempted to nurse him back from a tendon injury, connections made the decision to retired the colt last month.

Aquis’ Director of Sales, Jonathon Davies, said the farm was delighted to secure a high-class son of Fastnet Rock for their Canungra roster this spring.

“We couldn’t be more excited about the opportunity to stand a stallion of this calibre,” Davies said.

“Glenfiddich is an outstanding athlete and breeders love a horse that showed so much precocity yet could mature and take it up to the best of them over a mile. And he’s by Fastnet Rock!”

“He split King’s Legacy and Ole Kirk in the Champagne and the latter went on to win a Golden Rose and Caulfield Guineas. First up at three Glenfiddich ran third behind 3-time Group 1 winner, Behemoth, and Derby winner, Mr Quickie, in the Gr.1 Memsie with a lot of good horses in his wake that day.”

Glenfiddich will stand for an introductory fee of $8800 and joins an Aquis roster that also includes the recently-retired Jonker ($16,500), as well as Pierata (TBA), Brave Smash (TBA) and Lean Mean Machine (TBA).

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 2:22pm
I do not understand what they are doing ?

Unless selling Mo'Unga pays for the operation ?
reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:34am
I don't hate this bloke at the price. I am usually scared off by US pedigrees but there is sufficient Australian nexus to make it easier to understand (Eleven Eleven, the Criterion family through Mica's Pride). The Memsie and Champagne runs were good and he has the Group 2 on the CV.

If there's a knock from my perspective then it's on the entire crop he came through - King's Legacy, Ole Kirk, North Pacific, Tagaloa. None of them competed outside their age. Lunar Fox beating Cherry Tortoni in the Caulfield Guinease of that year tells you what you need to know. But I'd rather punt this guy at $8K then the others at triple the price and more.
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 2:19pm
My thinking is a bit different, 
I'am not convinced Fastnet Rock is a sire of sires, the numbers for me don't add up, 
If Merchant Navy comes out and throws winner after winner I will look a goose, but 

Your Song 425 live foals now rising 4 yo or older, other than Gem Song 5 lower Stakes winners
Wanted 460 live foals now rising 4 yo or older, other than Leicester 4 Lower Stakes Winners 
Stryker 430 live foals now rising 4yo or older, other than Rangipo 1 Lower Stakes winner
Rothsay 580 live foals now rising 4yo or older, other than Rothfire 6 Lower Stakes winners

Of cause 
Foxwedge 650 live foals now rising 4yo or older, 2 x Gr1 winners in Aust, 1 x Gr1 winner NZ and Urban Fox winning the Pretty Polly. so he is leading the pack easy.

Some of these horses started off on significant service fees and are now barging basement.

Am I missing something or as a breed are they under achieving.

Ciao For Now

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 3:20pm
agree OldFlight, when you go through his sire sons not much to speak of. Smart Missile the only other one who has done reasonable. only one gp 1 winner but another 21 stakeswinners. Although you could work your way through Snitzel's sons and things were pretty average until Shamus Award and R.R. came along. 
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 3:22pm
Then you look at High Chap with only 10 sons standing in OZ and he has successful sons - SYT , Dundeel and Toronado....
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:18pm
You are right Slowdown 
I forgot Smart Missile he was the one I first looked at and forgot to add him.

How many of the above sires had yearlings at Easter I wonder, except Merchant Navy.
I just don't see them as sires with a future. Again MN could get a heap and im an idiot.

Is anybody putting their mares to a son of FR this season if so could you share your thoughts on why.
We have a mare that nicks up great to his sons but I can not make myself commit to them?

As you say HC is doing it from a very low number compared.

Anyway its all opinion 

Ciao For Now Old Flight

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:00am
even if Merchant Navy was to go great there doesn't seem to be a star amongst them yet. Heroic Valour seems to be going well up North but no stakeswinners yet. Maybe it is the same for most Sires of Sires. Not sure.  for example look at R.C. Sire sons. Take away Snitzel and there isnt a lot proven. yet . maybe it takes longer or that is what you would expect. over to the experts for those thoughts. 

Redoute's Choice (AUS) 1996
 Aust.Id.: 621010bay stallionDate of Birth: 15/08/1996 
 Microchip Number: N/A157 stakeswinners & 315 stakeswinsDNA Typed: Y 
 by Danehill (USA) 1985 
 from Shantha's Choice (AUS) 1992Deceased (26/03/2019) 
 bred by Mr MA Yaseen, Vic 
Sire Sons in Australia
Alabama Express (AUS) 2016Niconoise (AUS) 2008
Barbados (AUS) 2008Panzer Division (AUS) 2011
Best Choice (AUS) 2007Pariah (AUS) 2014
Bradbury's Luck (AUS) 2002Patronize (AUS) 2002
Condamine (AUS) 2003Prague (AUS) 2017
Decides (AUS) 2002Red Henno (AUS) 2012
Fast Choice (AUS) 2010Redente (AUS) 2006
French Redoute (AUS) 2016Rogano (AUS) 2006
Great Choice (AUS) 2009Rumbler (AUS) 2003
Hardham (AUS) 2013Sharkbite (AUS) 2003
Killy (AUS) 2006Sheer Talent (AUS) 2009
King's Legacy (AUS) 2017Slater (AUS) 2007
King's Troop (AUS) 2012Snitzel (AUS) 2002
Martelletto (AUS) 2009Swear (AUS) 2013
Master Of Design (AUS) 2005The Autumn Sun (AUS) 2015
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:54am
Hey Slowdown you forgot Not a Single Doubt.  He and Snitzel (already champion sire himself 3 times) are constantly in the top ten.  Stratum only lived a short time but got a Golden Slipper winner and the great filly Streama, Stratum Star, Takedown etc. 

King's Troop isn't serving much in WA but has stakes performers.  

You maybe judging him hard.

While I'm the first to love High Chap and So You Think I wouldn't place him above Redoute's and Snitzel.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 11:27am
Forgot Beneteau who also died young and then take into account Not a Single Doubts young sire son Extreme CHoice.  Pretty sure Time Thief could of done better with some better patronage also but In her Time was a pretty good example of his get.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 12:45pm
ahh cheers Furious. i went off Studbook which doesn't list them once they are no longer standing !! of course . missed way too many . makes me wonder about others that may now not be on studbook under sire sons......
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 12:59pm
go to the decendent chart under the sire and you get more that way
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 1:27pm
ahh ok. thanks Furious. will do
 Post Reply Post Reply