Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Weekday + Sunday Blog January 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 4:36pm

It was a day of firsts at Donald on Sunday, not only for Ballarat-based trainer Tim Beggs but also his mare's stallion Cecconi.

Having saddled up his first runner late last year, the 32-year-old trained his first winner at his seventh attempt when Fontaine Del Rosso broke her maiden.

"With me it's more about expectation," Beggs admitted. "If I expect something, I get pretty nervous and excited, yesterday we thought we were a top-three chance and I let out a few screams when she hit the home straight that's for sure."

Beggs has three horses on the books and, as well as juggling his time as foreman for Matt Cumani, also dabbles in breeding, with Fontaine Del Rosso becoming the first winner in Australia for Encosta de Lago's son Cecconi.

"We do our own breeding with horses we've raced in the past," Beggs explained.

"Through a friend I got put onto Nioka at Moorookyle Park, which is only five minutes from my place.

"I was just starting out and didn't want to waste a lot of money on the first experiments with the mares and she recommended Cecconi and we worked out a deal.

"Every filly we either buy or breed there's a plan for them to be a broodmare in the future, so getting the win itself is very important but there is so much work go into it before you get there."

Cecconi stands at stud for $3300 and has produced one other winner in New Zealand.

For Beggs starting his career, he has opted for a patient approach with a broodmare band of two rather than buying at the annual yearling sales or online tried horse auctions to make up his stable.

"Everyone says it's expensive but it's more about patience with breeding," Beggs said.

"At least we know we have something to work with each year.

"We don't over breed, we only breed once every two years to give them a year off to recover and I think it works well.

"It means we don't have too many horses coming through but there's always something coming."

A pivotal part of the Cumani team for the past three years, the Ballarat local learned the ropes from Charles Quick and Dan O'Sullivan and says there was extra satisfaction to have Cumani's apprentice Tatum Bull in the saddle on Sunday.

"I am very lucky, when I first talked to Matt about taking out my own licence and I said I only want two at the time in work, he said I could have two boxes," Beggs said.

"He allows me to put them on his list too, so they get worked in the morning with his horses.

"Tatum has done the most work out of any jockey with this horse especially.

"She has helped getting her ticket at the trials and missed a few times through availability and suspension, so I was determined to get her back on when she was hitting her top."

Beggs explained that he was a late bloomer when it came to his interest in racing despite his family always enjoying an interest and being involved in his maiden winner.

"I only got involved with horses hands-on after I left school," said Beggs.

"Dad was an owner and my uncle worked for Bart Cummings before he bred his own horses.

"The interest sparked as I got older, being able to go to the races and have a bet.

"My Dad and a really good family friend own yesterday's winner.

"It's very satisfying to get them done for them, our first one that we've bred and raced ourselves had been a winner."

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:21am
How slow is Galaxy Reign ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:28am
he had an 800m & 1000m jump out in December, finished last in both
Vision can be found at
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 3:04pm
He wasn’t terrible!
Will definitely run all day, might see him over some jumps 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123