Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Flightline (USA) - goes alright

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I can never get excited by these US dirt trackers. 

This bloke proved me wrong. First time ever proved wrong.

I was the same. And I am the same. LOL
Time is a flat circle
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

I think best dirt horse since Secretariat

Yep, I think that's a fair assessment 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:43am
No wonder racing struggles to get attention from the main stream population anymore, in what other sport can a competitor come along, have 6 starts, retire and be considered a champion?  His entire racing career has lasted less than 10 minutes of racing time.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 2:23pm
Whilst it is disappointing, when you produce performances like this guy has what else can you call him ? 

reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 3:12pm
A  freak of nature .
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 7:42am

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 8:42am
reductio ad absurdum
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 10:22am
Flightline ran a faster time than either American Pharoah or Arrogate, so it's a bit hard to believe that his TF rating for the BCC is lower than either of them.  Arrogate was all out to win over an equally flat-out and brave California Chrome.  American Pharoah set a crawling pace before running out in the stretch--the time at the 3/4 mile mark was about 4 seconds slower than the 3/4 mile time for Flightline and Life is Good--and his final time was slower than Flightline's in spite of being ridden hard to the wire.  (It's been fun to watch the old videos.  I forgot how AP had his ears up the whole time.)  

Flightline's run in the Breeder's Cup wasn't either his fastest time or his largest margin of victory in a 2000 m race -- that would be the Pacific Classic -- but it was by far the best field he's ever seen, a blistering pace up front by a top-class miler, and his jockey stopped riding him with about 150 m left to go.  Could he have run faster?  Probably, if the jockey kept riding.  Because I'm that kind of nerd, I counted--Flavien Prat hit him with the whip twice, waved the whip by his left cheek three times, and that was all from the top of the stretch to the finish line.  In the helmet cam video (lots of fun here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Bqj96nySs) you can see Flightline slowing down before the wire.

So, yeah, I agree with the twitter poster Djebel screen shotted--it's nonsensical to give a horse who ran a faster time while wound down a lower rating than horses who were all-out to win.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:16pm
As expected voted NA Horse of the Year and was also won the Eclipse Award for Older Male Horse.
239 out of 246 votes

Undefeated Champion

Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
I was hopi ng you were posting that he was shooting blanks and returning to the track 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123