Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2021 Arc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 Arc
    Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:40pm

Arc field: first forfeits

Torquator Tasso (GER)
Deep Bond (JPN) 
Broome (IRE)
Tarnawa (IRE)
Love (IRE)
Raabihah (FR)
Chrono Genesis (JPN)
Mojo Star (GB)
Baby Rider (FR)
Hurricane Lane (GB)
Sealiway (FR)
Alenquer (GB)
Bubble Gift (FR)
Teona (GB)

To be supplemented

Adayar (GB)
Snowfall (IRE)

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
1........133 Adayar..........................129
2........126p Hurricane Lane...........125
3................Chrono Genesis...........124
4.........125 Tarnawa.......................121
5.........125 Deep Bond...................121
6..........124 Snowfall.......................123
7..........123 Broome........................120
8..........123 Torquator Tasso...........118
9..........122 Mojo Star......................118
10........117 Love.............................122
11................Sealiway.......................116
12................Alenquer.......................116
13.........112 Teona...........................116
14.................Bubble Gift...................114
15.................Baby Rider....................113
16.................Raabihah......................112

123  112

reductio ad absurdum
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:53pm
Would have loved to have seen Chrono Genesis or even Deep Bond down here for a MC. 
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:55pm
Sorry I'm slow, what does "To be supplemented" mean?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
Late entries

Must be done by tomorrow our time I believe. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
Thumbs Up
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:35pm
Arc gates.

1 – Mojo Star 2 – Hurricane Lane 3 – Tarnawa 4 – Love 5 – Deep Bond 6 – Bubble Gift 7 – Broome 8 – Alenquer 9 – Snowfall 10 – Sealiway 11 – Adayar 12 – Torquator Tasso 13 – Baby Rider 14 - Chrono Genesis 15 - Raabihah
16 - Verry Elleegant

Edited by djebel - 30 Sep 2021 at 9:36pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:39pm
You're  having a lend about No 16?

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:44pm
LOL YOU are not the person I expected would be confused by that. 
reductio ad absurdum
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 2:24am
Congratulations to longtime poster Ticino on a great Arc winner for Germany.

It beat last years Arc winner and the French and English Derby winners. Can't get much better than that.

Clap 
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:39am
Hello,
many thanks for the conggratulations of the winning Germanbred horse "Torqutor Tasso". I was really surprised about the result.

Frankly I didn't expect it, he would win, in the best case a possible placing.
Just to make things even more great, he wasn't  bred by a big stud, but by the "small breeder"
Mr. Vandeberg.

His damlinje is from of the longestablished "Alveole family", and as  stated from the great Allegretta/Alya strain.

regards, Ticino

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 11:28am

German's stunning Arc upset

The eagerly anticipated 100th running of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe assembled a veritable who's who of European Flat racing. It finished with stunned observers left simply asking: "Who?"

For German racing the remarkable victory of Torquator Tasso provided an unexpected but wonderful cause for celebration. For almost everyone else it initially delivered anti-climax and bewilderment as a 72-1 outsider swept past leading fancies Tarnawa, Hurricane Lane and Adayar to achieve something few could possibly have foreseen.

Only two months ago a horse who carries the colours of the German flag had been soundly defeated on home soil by the Sir Mark Prescott-trained Alpinista. That did not suggest his ticket to the Arc would yield much of a return, yet following success in the Grosser Preis von Baden he surged forward once again to capture what had looked like a vintage staging of the sport's supreme middle-distance championship.

If the horse's name had hitherto meant little to many racing fans, neither were trainer Marcel Weiss and jockey Rene Piechulek exactly household names outside their own country. Now, however, they occupy a proud place on an illustrious roll of honour after combining to give their nation a third Arc triumph following the wins of Star Appeal and Danedream in 1975 and 2011.

Rain had pounded the streets of Paris through Saturday night and Sunday morning, creating a sound that must have been music to the ears of a second-season trainer and a jockey whose career has been helped by opportunities afforded him by the Covid-induced absence of visiting international riders in Germany. Their horse adored the gruelling Longchamp ground and in what became a test of bravery as well as brilliance, it was he who was the extremely deserving winner.

Given the intensity of the build-up to this Arc and the unrelenting focus on so many of its leading contenders, the postscript felt strangely surreal, not least in a post-race press conference during which journalist Liz Price conversed with the winning trainer and jockey in German before perfectly translating their answers into French and then English.

"It's all very difficult for me to understand – I can't really digest that I have won this race," said the 44-year-old Weiss, an assistant trainer for 20 years before taking over the Mulheim yard of Jens Hirschberger at the end of 2019.

"We started to plan for the Arc last winter. I thought this was the strongest Arc of the last few years but I still thought he deserved to go to the start. We would have been very happy if he had finished third, fourth, fifth or sixth. We would have considered that a success. The fact he has won is a bonus.

"You cannot go higher than the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe. Every trainer dreams of it. That I have won it is absolutely unreal."

Not that Weiss was jumping and up down with joy. Dressed in a sober black suit, he could have been mistaken for an understated tax inspector. Nevertheless, although much more Ryan Moore than Frankie Dettori, he said his demeanour changed when Torquator Tasso crossed Longchamp's winning line three-quarters of a length in front of Tarnawa, who along with her eventual conqueror and Hurricane Lane had only got past long-time leader Adayar just over half a furlong from home.

"During the race I was very quiet," admitted Weiss, before adding with a smile: "When we won I screamed but nobody saw me."

Piechulek was positively beaming. "There was not a lot of pace in the race so I immediately tried to get a position with the leading horses," said the 34-year-old. "I wanted to be in a spot where when we got into the straight I could really launch my horse. The longer the straight the better he gets so I was keen to make full use of him.

"I was honoured just to be able to ride in the Arc. I want to thank the owners, breeders and trainer for letting me ride Torquator Tasso, even though I hadn't taken part in the race before. I can't believe I've won. Wait until tomorrow, then I might believe it."

Tarnawa's trainer Dermot Weld was already convinced. "This is not a surprise," he insisted. "I have the highest regard for German racing. Every so often they've come up with a good horse."

Their latest exceptionally good horse is part-owned by 88-year-old Helga Endres, who along with husband, Peter-Michael Endres, is one of the forces behind Gestut Auenquelle, in whose silks last year's Deutsches Derby second competes.

Sadly, she was not able to make it on to the winner's podium but instead stood close to it with the Arc's silver trophy perched on her walking frame. Throughout the playing of the German national anthem she sported a face that transmitted joy, as she had when congratulated moments earlier by the Princess Royal.

"It's fantastic – and, yes, I do believe it," she said. "I was so sure, so very sure. He was number one, so he came first in the parade and he also came first in the race. He was always number one to me. This horse is in my heart.

"I'm so happy, I can't believe it. I have a broken leg, so I can't do much at the moment. I have done sport all my life. I am a skier and I have never broken anything but I fell over in the garden. The leg was already feeling better. Now, thanks to this horse, it feels very much better."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Ticino Ticino wrote:

Hello,
many thanks for the conggratulations of the winning Germanbred horse "Torqutor Tasso". I was really surprised about the result.

Frankly I didn't expect it, he would win, in the best case a possible placing.
Just to make things even more great, he wasn't  bred by a big stud, but by the "small breeder"
Mr. Vandeberg.

His damlinje is from of the longestablished "Alveole family", and as  stated from the great Allegretta/Alya strain.

regards, Ticino

Heeeyyy, nice one Clap
Time is a flat circle
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:02pm

The 100th Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe – over the years the best flat race in the world – and a sizeable field made for a great spectacle and memorable occasion. But it was not the vintage edition some claimed of it, with no MishriffSt Mark’s Basilica (both perhaps better at around 10f) or Love (withdrawn late on due to the rain-softened ground), and in the event the form horse Adayar running out of petrol late on. Still, the winner might have been unexpected but he was deserving as things unfolded, about average for an Arc winner in recent years (behind Waldgeist in 2019 and Enable’s first win in 2017). The pace was surprisingly steady until Adayar was given his head after 4f and took them along, the finishing speed for final 600m and final 400m around 107%, and that did not suit some of the runners, not least Adayar himself.  

TORQUATOR TASSO  (124 here, 118 previously) had been achieving more than many were prepared to credit him with in Germany this year – a possibly unlucky second to Alpinista in a Group 1 before winning at that level at Baden-Baden – but still must have improved a bit to win a race of this calibre, held up in mid-field, driven 500m out and wider than most before edging right and running on for pressure to edge ahead with 100m to go, asserting near the finish. This was just his fifth race of the campaign, so we should see more of him this year, though how he would cope with ground firmer than good is unknown.

TARNAWA  (120 here and previously) ended up running up to her best without the smoothest of passages along the way, awkward to load and a bit slowly away, soon in mid-field but losing her place slightly and short of room for a few strides before improving up the inner to dispute the lead with 150m to go, one paced near the end. She should have a good chance of a repeat win at the Breeders’ Cup, but the evidence is that she is very good but not quite outstanding.

HURRICANE LANE  (123 here and previously) continues to perform heroically, this his toughest test yet, and he ran as well as he ever has, mid-field, driven 600m out and briefly with little room but staying on to dispute the lead 150m out under pressure, unable to pull out more near the finish. The suggestion was that he will remain in training as a 4yo, which would be great to see.

ADAYAR  (118 here, 127 previously) was far from discredited but ended up losing a race he had the form to win, and which he looked like winning for some way (touched almost 2/1 on in running), not settling fully until allowed to stride on after 800m or so, better thereafter and quickening into a lead of 3 lengths early in the home straight, only to wilt and be caught with 150m to go, one of the slowest in the entire field in the final 200m. He showed stamina aplenty in winning a well-run Derby on good to soft going, and in following up at Ascot on much firmer, so it would seem that his early exertions here and being in front for so long proved his undoing. He should have more good races in him at this trip, though possibly also at around 10f (at which trip the early pace tends to be stronger) if staying in training in 2022.  

SEALIWAY  (117 here and previously) ran his best race of the year, having started it looking a major classic contender on the back of a demolition job in the Lagardere, ridden to get the trip and still going well wide 500m out but coming steadily under pressure, initially closing but one paced late on, the trip seeming to tax him.   

SNOWFALL  (114 here, 118 previously) ran close to her best, not good enough in open company in all probability, held up mid to rear, briefly having to wait for a run 450m out but soon alongside the winner before her run rather petered out. She is a very smart filly, if not quite the superstar some interpretations of her classic wins suggested.

CHRONO GENESIS  (114 here, 120 previously) was a bit below form, in second for much of the race (kept wide early) and with every chance until weakening (and being squeezed for room briefly) 150m out. Her best form would have seen her go close.

BUBBLE GIFT  (116 here, 107 previously) ran surprisingly well, though never a danger and making late gains having been a bit slowly away.

ALENQUER  (114 here, 115 previously) ran creditably with no excuses, briefly leading early and quite close up until left behind in the final 450m.

MOJO STAR  (114 here and previously) is likely to struggle against high-class opposition at 12f but ran creditably, quite close up in the main group until outpaced late on.

BROOME  (110 here, 117 previously) was below form, managing to lead briefly early despite a slowish start but weakening from prominence late on.

RAABIHAH  (103 here, 111 previously) was steadied towards the rear and made just the briefest of headway early in the straight, not knocked about thereafter.

BABY RIDER  (104 here, 107 previously) never threatened to get into it.

DEEP BOND  (? here, 118 previously) stopped quickly after making some headway wide, though driven along, 600m out.  

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply