Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Surefire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:19pm
Lamp
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 9:34pm
Where do we see this imported gelding fitting in this spring?

Holds noms for both Spring Cups in Melbourne.  Will be interesting to see the pathway to get there.  You’d think the Chelmsford at 1600m would be next & then 2000m for his 3rd start.  Maybe 4th up into a Caulfield Cup?

What about the Five Diamonds - $2m race restricted to 5yo’s run at WFA over 1800m.

AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 1:39am

Wins firstup over 1400m 

Good TEMPO set it up 

He’s a Cox Plate horse imo !! 

Horses with 2400m legs (stacked with ability) rrrr puuurfect for Cox Plates imo when they up the anti 800m from home they absorb it …..

Most cracking milers in the past who posses all the traits turn of foot push button horses fold when the heats applied stepping up to the mile n a quarter in Cox Plate war zones !! 

Winning over the mile overseas ability to quicken n 1400m yesterday 

This guy has the speed he’s no flat footed stayer …….. hmmmm not sure I agree with Waller preferring the Caulfield Cup over the Cox Plate (Maybe I’m just off my headLOL)

Anyway let’s see what happens in 3 weeks time G2 1600m 

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:47pm
I think it depends on who shows up Hunta.

With no Verry Elleegant, Think It Over and both Duais and Montefilia heading to Caulfield, and Zaaki needing to recapture his best, and Anamoe needing to transfer from the 3yo's to the open age group, who would be the main  contenders?

I see Neasham has said Numerian is a Caulfield Cup bound horse, Heutor needs to show form against the  very best, no Hitotsu, Converge being kept to the mile, Mounga also looking a miler and State Of Rest maybe targeting races in Europe, who will be the main contenders?

If he was mine I would go Chelmsford into the Turnbull to test the water and then chose where we go. He looks a similar type to Finche and so the 3200m Melbourne Cup might be a bit far distance wise so not sure why he could not do both the Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate, but maybe the Caulfield Cup might be the harder race to win this season.  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:54pm
Only snag is that he’s not actually entered for the Cox Plate.

Unless MVRC take late entries?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 5:09pm
I think Mr. Waller's getting a bit cheeky Wink winning sprints first up with English stayers LOL , but that bit of flippancy aside , he impressed , and they had their money on too , SP $3-90, ratings wise , he was a 92 prior to Sat. and also carried a Kilo over ? any idea what it may be now ? the field he beat was average , and the horse of any note Mugatoo tailed out last after a bleed , and resuming from a long spell from tendon problem , I'm not pouring water on him , but will wait till he steps up in class for my spring tips in the comp. Smile
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
rating went from 92 to 98
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 5:19pm
Thanks mate . 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 4:13pm
Scratched from the Metrop in Sydney to run in the Turnbull in Melb.

Interested to see him finally go around on a good track at Flemington.  I can see him running really well & zooming back into Caulfield Cup contention.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:04pm
I had him as a potential Caulfield Cup type & whilst he missed that race, he’s still managed to salvage his Spring with a solid 2nd in the Geelong Cup & todays Archer Stks win.

Not sure if CJW pulls up stumps now or he runs again in maybe Zipping Classic?  But he could be a nice Doomben Cup / Q22 horse next year.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:22pm
Surefire will be nominated for the 2600m Queens Cup next Saturday
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
Must be something awry with this horse.  Really awful performance in the Aust Cup Prelude, beaten 17.6 Len.

Had his tongue hanging out from before the home turn & all the way up the straight.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 8:27pm
I had a gut feeling when doing the form for the Chairman’s Hcp that this might happen.

The fact he was so terrible at Flemington last start but still pressed on with a campaign in Sydney made me think he must have really pleased CJW in his work.  Wet track no doubt assisted too.

Not sure he runs 3200m and think a few others will have his measure in the Sydney Cup next weekend.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 1:20am

absolutely love this horse !! 

When he’s least expected to win (he’s won) n that’s when u want to be on em Heart

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 1:41am
What are the whip rules in Sydney ?

Joao gave Surefire at least 10 good cracks with the whip before the 100m.

reductio ad absurdum
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 3:15pm
Surefire – Prior to the declaration of correct weight the Stewards identified from the
inquiry room that J. Moreira had used his whip on 11 occasions prior to the 100m.
When Stewards could not be satisfied that Surefire had gained an advantage that
resulted in it winning the race, in accordance with AR221(2) they therefore declined to
exercise their powers under AR132(1) and did not proceed with a formal protest. At a
subsequent inquiry, J. Moreira pleaded guilty to a charge under AR132(7)(a)(ii) in that
he used the whip on 11 occasions prior to the 100m, 6 more than is permitted under
the rules. J. Moreira’s licence to ride in races was suspended for a period to commence
on Sunday 9 April 2023 and to expire on Saturday 15 April 2023, on which day he may
ride.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 8:35pm
Noticed this import is now showing up as ‘Retired’ on Racing Australia website. Wonder what happened to him?

And despite being retired he’s still showing up in TAB’s market for the Tancred Stks as a $51 chance Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12