Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gavin Bedggood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gavin Bedggood
    Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 7:28pm
Wondering if anyone can share what they know about this ex jumps jockey turned trainer who seems to be getting a few winners at good odds?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 7:34pm
Understand there's a recent Racing.com interview that you may be able to download.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:29pm
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:41pm
Thanks Shawy.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:42pm
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:18pm
Gavin is a hardworking and honest trainer. He has trained winners for me. Before he got his licence he voluntarily assisted another trainer who had my horses and who has now retired. Gavin and his partner, Karen, and daughter make very effort for their family business to do well. He communicates honestly and well with owners. In fact, most trainers these days do exactly that. Gavin has worked all his life for the success, and good luck, he is now enjoying.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 3:57pm
Unfortunately he has just lost a horse in R2 at Cranbourne, badly broken down and couldn't be saved. 
Another horse trained by J Rattle is also badly injured from the incidident
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 4:51pm
That's sad shawy.

Who was the retired trainer he worked for Adolphus?
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:16am
Showusyourmoves - 2 starts and a 458 day spell, handful of starts- 100/1 - Bedggood
Billie De Lune - 200 day spell, 141 day spell, 4 yr old grey mare, new yard ?? Moody
New regulations needed re racing unsound horses, will definitely help for more positive statistics
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:25am
No such thing as 0% attrition in this game or any other Dot. Exactly what new regulations do you want? 

Taking an isolated incident out of context will never improve any stats. 
longevity does not equate to credibility
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:30pm
He does seem to mainly take on tried horses, and seems to work wonders with them. Small sample size I guess, but that's the one thing I've noticed. I suppose there's always the chance of one or two going amiss.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:06pm
Who said 100%? Not me. I did say we need to stop people racing unsound crocks. Plenty of healthy young ones out there to train. Or sound tried ones.
 Racetrack mortalities need to be improved, its the way of the future, and culling out the above would be a step in the right direction. Plus its a lot safer for the jockeys as well.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 1:33pm

I've edited the misspelling of his surname throughout the article Wink

Gavin Bedggood is no ‘one-trick pony’ when it comes to placing his horses and the raw numbers will tell you, it’s a successful modus operandi.

The Cranbourne-based former jockey turned rider agent turned trainer has been at his current profession since 2017 and is having comfortably his best season to date.

“Being able to ride myself, you’re able to get on the horse and have a ride and see how it should or shouldn’t feel and I know all my horses pretty well,” Bedggood told Racing.com’s A Good 3 podcast.

“It gives me a bit of an inside edge, I suppose”

Bedggood has saddled up 179 starters as of June 26 with 13 per cent (25) runners to winner strike rate. That balloons to 37 per cent for runners finishing top-three.

It’s not solely his riding ability that provides and edge, it’s placing his horses in the right races and, to do that, he has assistance.

He’s recently started using Arioneo Equimetre, a device used successfully by the likes of Ciaron Maher and David Eustice, which assesses the fitness and recovery of horses through data giving a clearer picture of a horse’s ability.

“That’s been a bit of an asset,” he said of the device.

His other measures are a little more ‘old school’.

“Through being a rider agent and not minding a bet, I can sort of have a look at a race and think ‘oh, you’re kidding yourself running it here’ and decide not to run it.”

“People like Deane Lester, he owns shares in a couple of horses with us, he’s been a great asset as well.”

Lester has long been regarded as one of the sharpest form judges in racing with various stables tapping into his knowledge over the years.

“Perfect example is the horse, No Effort,” Bedggood began.

“I remember this time last year, I said to him I had to try and get some black type with her, she’d already won two or three Saturday metro and he said the Heatherlie was the race to do that in.

“He said she is going to be the fit mare and your get a lot of stayers resuming in that sort of race and, if you can go there on top of your game and bowling along on speed, she was going to be hard to hold out and he was 100 per cent right.”

No Effort won that race as a $20 chance, one of the first wins of Bedggood’s successful season.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:45pm
10 winners from last 50, not bad with a stable full of recycled horses ClapClapClap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 1:23pm
Gary Mallinson....sorry I took so long to reply. Was just browsing the forum and came across your request
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

10 winners from last 50, not bad with a stable full of recycled horses ClapClapClap
Success with another recycled horse today at Sale.

Keats (Ire) had black type form in Ireland and was purchased for around $400,000 by Paul & Mike Moroney.  Then had 11 unplaced runs in Australia.  

Picked up by Beddgy for $25,000 who wins with him at his first start for the stable today Clap
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 12:37am
Sale BM64 grade is a long way from a listed race at Cork.
He might make the grade as a Country Cup horse this Spring.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 12:57am
Gary Mallinson...a master horseman 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 12:29pm

Second-hand horse guru Gavin Bedggood will aim to place new acquisition Degraves to advantage to recoup the $90,000 purchase price.

Bedggood swooped on the ex-Lloyd and Nick Williams-owned galloper on Wednesday in the late stages of the Inglis December Online Sale.

Degraves was the most expensive of five Hudson Conway Racing stayers sold, including Verimli ($85,000), Hector de Maris ($65,000), Mr Mooj ($30,000) and Nelson ($17,000).

"I was pretty keen to buy Verimli but I was underbidder on him," Bedggood said.

"You get what you pay for and if you go back through his (Degraves) form throughout his career, he's run fourth to Delphi, fourth to Armony back in Ireland.

"Those horses come over here and Delphi won a Group 2 race and Armony ran second in a Cox Plate."

Degraves, the best-profiled tried horse Bedggood has purchased, raced three times in Australia from June to September 2021 for two wins and a sixth.

"He's a 93 rater at the moment, I wouldn't have had any horses that could be beat less than two lengths by a horse like Armory two years ago," Bedggood said.

"Hopefully we can get him somewhere near that form. That would be all right … who knows, he's only lightly raced, the sky is the limit.

"The prizemoney on offer I thought he was a good horse to get into the stable.

"Nothing too serious yet (plans) … he's had 14-15 months off the scene, we'll be realistic and aim him where we can try and get some money back."

Bedggood's recent success with recycled horses includes Keats, Field Of Roses and Nasraawy.

All three bargain buys have won and placed multiple times since changing hands to bank six-figure-plus windfalls for new connections.

"Field Of Rose (bought for) $16,000 went to the paddock with $100,000 next to his name," Bedggood said.

"Nasraawy I think we paid $15,000 for him and he's earned $120,000 since."

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 2:53pm

One of the other high-profile horses who went under the hammer at the sale was dual Group 2 winner Just Folk, who was sold for $199,000.

Gavin Bedggood secured the six-year-old gelding, who was up for grabs with Josh Julius taking a break from training.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:01pm
Perhaps it has been discussed elsewhere but why has Josh Julius taken a break ?

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:48pm
Julius plans to spend more time with his family and starts work next week as part of the track staff at the Bendigo Jockey Club.

Racing.com
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:51pm

Dual Group 2 winner Just Folk will now call Cranbourne home after Gavin Bedggood went to $199,000 for the former Bendigo Horse of the Year on Wednesday.

Retiring trainer Josh Julius placed his stable star on Inglis Digital on behalf of his grandparents, who bred the horse, making it Bedggood's most expensive purchase yet.

"I didn't have a zap more," the renowned tried-horse conditioner admitted.

"I rang Josh straight away when I saw him on there and he said he was giving it away and his grandparents wanted to move him and I spoke to him a few more times throughout the week.

"He was fully vetted and come up clean and Josh was more than accommodating.

"He is right to come in and get cracking."

he Crystal Mile and Ajax Stakes winner last raced in the G3 Lord Mayors Cup at Eagle Farm when finishing sixth behind Without A Fight.

With 32 starts under his belt, Bedggood is confident there is still plenty of racing ahead for the rising seven-year-old, who has banked $772,413.

"His form on soft and heavy ground is exceptional," he said.

"He is a dual Group 2 winner and if it's soft in Melbourne he can stay around and if it's not, he can get on a float and go up to Sydney we can pick and choose.

"Nothing is in concrete we will just pick and choose our path and dabble around the fringe but there are plenty of good prizemoney races around and if he wins one of them, he has nearly picked up his purchase price."

Bedggood has enjoyed success with numerous tried horses, headlined by No Effort and Keats, and said a number of shares will be made available.

Julius plans to spend more time with his family and starts work next week as part of the track staff at the Bendigo Jockey Club.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:31pm
Good luck to him.

ps the Bendigo jockey Club makes a habit of employing local identities or relatives of same: Rawiller's, Stanley's, Hearps's etc.  Wink  Am half surprised the extremely well qualified food and drinks manager got the gig as she doesn't appear to be related to anyone associated with the club.  Shocked
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:46pm
Maybe the food and drinks manager is qualified in other fields....
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

One of the other high-profile horses who went under the hammer at the sale was dual Group 2 winner Just Folk, who was sold for $199,000.

Gavin Bedggood secured the six-year-old gelding, who was up for grabs with Josh Julius taking a break from training.

Another astute purchase by the Gavin Bedggood yard. Prizemoney earned in only 4 starts since joining his stable is $210,990 Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:27pm
Great result.

Don't see too many selling for $199,000.  Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply