Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2021 Melbourne Cup 3200m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

J A Richardson off 7.5m 1993
I am not decrying Richardson's win in the 1993 Stawell Gift, but it is a handicap event where the race is won by a talented athlete that has beaten the handicapper and gone on to win the race. I doubt anyone could name, off the top of their head, any winner in the past ten years. Back in its glory days the Gift attracted far more attention than it does today, as the pre AFL football season has encroached on the Gift's time in the Sun.
The only winner I can recall who made any impression on me was Bill Howard, who won the Gift in 1966 and was dragged 3.41 metres to win in a faster the following year.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:01am
Nothing nasty here, just dealing in facts
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:21am
Nasty right there shawy.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

I am not decrying Richardson's win in the 1993 Stawell Gift, but it is a handicap event where the race is won by a talented athlete that has beaten the handicapper and gone on to win the race. I doubt anyone could name, off the top of their head, any winner in the past ten years. Back in its glory days the Gift attracted far more attention than it does today, as the pre AFL football season has encroached on the Gift's time in the Sun.
The only winner I can recall who made any impression on me was Bill Howard, who won the Gift in 1966 and was dragged 3.41 metres to win in a faster*** the following year.
*** time
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

The only winner I can recall who made any impression on me was Bill Howard, who won the Gift in 1966 and was dragged 3.41 metres to win in a faster the following year.

Cathy Freeman did win the 400m version of the Stawell Gift send she was handicapped a lot and started a mile back, this is the race:

Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:15pm
What does Cathy Freeman have to do with a Melbourne Cup??
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I reckon getting Jamal & Djebel down into Joffs would represent excellent entertainment value for TBV members . 

As far as I am concerned the d1ckhead is blocked. 
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I reckon getting Jamal & Djebel down into Joffs would represent excellent entertainment value for TBV members . 

Why would you block me? What have I done wrong? Given an alternate view.....nothing wrong with that. It's your problem if you can not handle other people with different views. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:55pm

Twitter's worst judge of horse racing resorts to name calling. Classy isn't it from you but really not surprising. Fact is you can not handle someone else ha ing a different opinion to you. Clearly you need to understand that not everyone will sing from the same song sheet as you. 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:04pm

Yep, I'm more then happy to engage with Djebel and he enjoys engaging with me. So your idea has some merit. 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:16pm
You are just as bad as each other. Try to keep it relevant
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

What does Cathy Freeman have to do with a Melbourne Cup??

I think after she won that gold medal at the Olympics she was interviewed on Channel 10 on Cup Day later that same year.Wink
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:17pm
We should start a thread.  Jamal vs Djebel - The Greatest Hits LOL
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:25pm
Or perhaps a couple of one-hit wonders.  Big smile

Just joking fellas, it's been a slow day.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
Multiple cases of COVID-19 have emerged from the Verry Elleegant Melbourne Cup party in the city - including owner Ozzie Kheir @7NewsMelbourne
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
My spies tell me Jmac attended too Wink oh what fun LOL

Edited by Gay3 - 08 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 4:42pm

The pot has spoken.
LOL
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 1:26pm

The 2021 Melbourne Cup Carnival has recorded an impressive domestic turnover result, with wagering was up 7.6 per cent.

A staggering $724.1 million was turned over domestically across the four-day carnival, achieving a record result.

Wagering for Cup Day attracted a turnover of $372.8m, up 1.9 per cent, with almost 60 cents of every dollar wagered for the day being on the Group 1 feature - itself recording $223.8m turnover in domestic wagering.

Victoria Derby Day turnover increased 4.7 per cent to $141.1m, while there was also an increase of 11.2 per cent on the Derby itself and Thursday's Oaks Day also increased its turnover 2.1 per cent to $84.3m.

However, the biggest result came on Stakes Day, with turnover up 42.8 per cent compared to 2020 - a year impacted by a TAB outage - and 14.2 per cent up on 2019.

Derby Day and Cup Day hit new benchmarks in Hong Kong, while Cup Day also set a record in the US.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:33am
Timeform Ratings - 2021 Melbourne Cup

1st: Verry Elleegant - 127

2nd: Incentivise - 121

3rd: Spanish Mission - 120

4th: Floating Artist - 103

5th: The Chosen One - 103

6th: Grand Promenade - 96

7th: Delphi - 100

8th: Selino - 98

9th: Tralee Rose - 87

10th: She's Ideel - 90

11th: Twilight Payment - 99

12th: Miami Bound - 84

13th: Grest House - 78

14th: Sir Lucan - 87

15th: Explosive Jack - 88

16th: Master Of Wine - 80

17th: Pondus - 80

18th: Carif - 79

19th: Knight's Order - 79

20th: Persan - 75

21st: Port Guillaume - 67

22nd: Johnny Get Angry - 60

23rd: Ocean Billy - 40

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 12:45pm
Oh good !  that should help Carpenter with his assessments next year ....maybe . Wink
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 2:19pm
And that's why ratings are rubbish. Had Grand Promenade got the same run as Floating Artist it may have challenged the winner and most certainly would've run second IMO. But it has a lower rating. Go figure.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:10pm
How bad is Ocean Billy going if he ranks 20 points inferior to Johnny Get Angry?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:33am
Miami Bound has been retired
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:18pm
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 6:01am
0.1 difference between the premier sprint and premier staying race of the spring, does this mean you'll now be saying our sprinters are bad as well Jamal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920