Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Tokyo Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tokyo Olympics
    Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:02am
Multiple polls now indicate 60% of Japanese citizens want the Games cancelled.

America's Track and Field team has just announced they are not flying to Japan to train, they are staying home to train.

Big decision

And what on earth will India do for the event?

The Olympics comprises of thousands of athletes, thousands of support staff for athletes, then of course thousands of Olympic staff

They seem flip of the coin right now, they are very unsure.
Not exactly oozing confidence.

Going by lack of confidence, and to host Olympics you need confidence, I will say they are going to be cancelled.
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:21am
Hosting an Olympics has so much more to do with the crowds, meeting of all of the cultures and so forth that it is easily the most affected by being played behind closed doors.  Competitions like the AFL, NRL and many others around the world can, in the short term at least, function as a TV only product whereas the Olympics will loose something for mine if its run as a behind closed doors event and the athletes just FIFO for the events.

Plus think of the money condom manufacturers are missing out on without the Olympic village being in action Embarrassed
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:03am
The Olympics is usually one of my most anticipated events but it seems very hard to be enthused by it this time. The idea of no crowds, no athlete interaction, no athletes at the opening/closing ceremonies etc just drags the whole thing down to me. I’m sure I’ll still watch my favourite events but doubt I’ll clear the schedule to do so. I wouldn’t mind at all if they do end up being cancelled, and that still has to be a real possibility. 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:06am

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:22am
[QUOTE=Redemption]Multiple polls now indicate 60% of Japanese citizens want the Games cancelled.

America's Track and Field team has just announced they are not flying to Japan to train, they are staying home to train.

Big decision

And what on earth will India do for the event?

The Olympics comprises of thousands of athletes, thousands of support staff for athletes, then of course thousands of Olympic staff

They seem flip of the coin right now, they are very unsure.
Not exactly oozing confidence.

Going by lack of confidence, and to host Olympics you need confidence, I will say they are going to be cancelled.
[/QUOTE
When Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded the modern Olympics back in 1896 he proclaimed the most important thing about the Olympics was not necessarily to win, but to compete, so I might suggest  that would apply to most Indian competitors. India has only ever won 8 gold medals and most of them are in hockey and in view of the situation at home they might better not to participate.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:56pm
If any nation can pull it off, its the high tech Japan, which would know how to still make it all entertaining.

Sadly, as much as most of us love the Olympics, I would lean to them being cancelled.

Hope I am wrong.

ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:19pm
 should never even be any argument about it. Just going to be a super-spreader event.

I love the Olympics, but it was cancelled in war-time and it should be cancelled now.

Those Aussie swim costumes were snazzy, though.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 7:51pm
The 2021 Tokyo Olympics have been cancelled

Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply