Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Capitalist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capitalist
    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:33pm
 Hefty fee rise Confused

Capitalist Earns his Fee Increase

Tara Madgwick - Tuesday April 27

Newgate Farm’s Golden Slipper winning sire Capitalist has achieved great things so far this season and a Group I winner last Saturday in Captivant put the icing on the cake to justify a fee increase from $44,000 to $99,000.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Capitalist stood for his first three seasons at a fee of $55,000 covering 200 plus books in each of those seasons and was only adjusted down last season in response to the COVID pandemic.
He now leads not only the super competitive first crop sires table, but also the overall general 2YO sires list, a feat not achieved by a first season sire since Stratum did it in the 2009/2010 season after siring Crystal Lily to win the Golden Slipper.

Stratum was standing at $33,000 and had his fee increased to $60,500.

Going back in time, champion sire More Than Ready (USA) was a dominant Champion First Season Sire and like Capitalist got his first Group I winner in the Champagne Stakes winning it with the filly Carry on Cutie.

His fee rose from $16,500 to $44,000.

The biggest fee increase from season to season occurred back in 2005 when Arrowfield Stud lifted the fee for Redoute’s Choice from $44,000 to $220,000 on the back of a stellar second crop season highlighted by Golden Slipper winner Stratum, Blue Diamond winner Undoubtedly and Sires Produce Stakes winner Fashions Afield.

That second crop also included Group I winning 3YO’s Snitzel and God’s Own.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:52pm
$55,000 increase? What for? A sales restricted race and a Gr1 not even the ATC care about? Bloody hell.
Time is a flat circle
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 11:13pm
230 covers per season for his first four.

The new fee might, at least in some way, be a supply side correction from the owners?... also adds value to the shareholder’s freebies.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 11:23pm
Bloody hell.   Cry
BOL to those who buy in.  Shocked
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:25pm
That is a big jump even with the big numbers behind him.  8 winners from 41 starters and 4 stakes winners.  If he's like his sire you will get some very good three year olds also.

Extreme Choice had 4 winners from 11 starters and the Golden Slipper winner.  Her was perhaps the surprise packet as he had far fewer foals to represent him but many have showed very good ability.  THere are stakes placegetters out there also.

Shalaa throws an elegant type with 25 runners and five winners one a multiple stakes winner.

Flying Artie had 26 starters for five winners also and the Blue Diamond winner.  Now to be fair to him I thought they would be three year olds so perhaps this was a bonus season.

To round out the top five is Frosted with 11 starters and 5 winners including two dual stakes winners and a Golden Slipper placegetter.  He could be the sleeper here.

Others like Star Turn and Sooboog both with seven winners also deserve a mention.

Now many top sires have had stellar first season crops including Star Kingdom, Marscay and Danehill.  Others like Bletchingly, Redoute's and Fastnet were quieter with their first two year olds.  So there could be other sleepers in this crop also.

The sales ring over the last five years has been crazy and that is reflected in the price these young stallions are being set at.  Now what deals are done would be the interesting story.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 2:01pm
What do we think Extreme Choice's service fee would have been had he not had fertility issues? Siring a dominant slipper winner in the first crop and all seem to show good ability.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 5:24pm
Assuming no fertility issues - therefore no reduction prior to his second season.... 118 covers that year, so let's say 80 live foals instead of 48... 20-25 runners a fair estimate, make it 6-8 winners - gives him enough to sit on top of the table.

Maybe Capitalist doesn't go all the way up to $99k if the ownership are making the expected returns from EC and FA - as such, the high water mark probably lands at $77k....

I'd guess probably somewhere in the $55,000 - $66,000 range.

Purely hypothetical, mind.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 8:34pm
I feel like stud farms are running a price fixing cartel, anything with a chance of siring a 2yo metro winner stands at ridiculous fees that I'm assuming the inner circle does not pay in full. Quality broodmares are purchased by stallion ownership group to make a lot of these moderate stallions look better than they really are. Toronado at $50k is just a joke for mine as well 
to the victor
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:01pm
I'd take Toronado at 50 over Cap at 99 any day of the week. At least he's somewhat proven past 2, as a sire and as a racehorse
Time is a flat circle
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:17pm
You’re getting no 2yo winners, no stallion prospects, lots of wind ops - might as well go Nicconi for half the fee 
to the victor
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
Are the Capitalist 2yo's from last season training on?  Have they already plateaud before their 3rd birthday
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:35am
I'm tempted to write a post knocking this bloke . That way he may start getting some decent winners this season.   $99KEvil Smile
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:21am
They seem a tad hot headed.  Maybe they will settle down eventually.  I prefer the Flying Arties and Extreme Choice is on fire.  But Capitalist is still up the top of the First Season Three year old list thanks to Captivant.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 4:17pm
He has had almost 60 rnrs and only 19% wnrs
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

He has had almost 60 rnrs and only 19% wnrs

That statistic would be damning in July and it's not nearly as ugly at first blush in October.

Of his 43 non-winners, 28 of them are placegetters so far.  It's early in the season, and it's reasonable to expect that several of them will be winners soon.

Three of the non-winners this year -- Captivant, Profiteer, and Gleneagles -- have raced almost exclusively in Group stakes company (Gleneagles came back from a spell in a BM 78).  Although they account for the majority of his earnings this season, none of them are winners this year so far.

Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:36am
Would you spend $99K on a service fee K.M.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Would you spend $99K on a service fee K.M.

No.  Based on his yearling sales, with a median of $120k in 2020 and 2021, a fair fee is the $55k range where he was.

But...not that long ago we were having this exact same conversation about Pierro:  https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/pierro_topic44545_page2.html

...and shortly after looking like wet powder, that rocket took off with Pinot winning the Oaks.  

It's still October.  Give it a bit of time.

Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 1:38pm
I agree on all points butwe will need to see some serious upside to maintain $99K. Newgate can't buy them all
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:28pm
The stats at present are concerning
71 starters  16 wnrs  : 2 metro Saturday, 2 metro midweek and at present they don't like to run past 1100mts
Perhaps his best are being saved for Autumn. One would hope so if you've stumped up this years service fee
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:10pm

Spot on the mark ,Desy .

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Nov 2021 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply