Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Amade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 3:41pm
Stokes comments post race says he will likely skip the Cup and go to the QE
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Red Cadeaux

Wasn’t the one I was thinking of but i think Shawy has the correct answer with Red Cadeaux when he ran in the 2015 Melb Cup.  Which unfortunately didn’t end well for him.

The one I’d been thinking of before that was the veteran Kiwi stayer Magistrate - he was a 10yo in the 1981 Melb Cup & amazingly backed up again as an 11yo in the 1982 Cup!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 10:18pm
The more I watch the Geelong Cup and the form this guy is in and the way he ran through the line I think they are crazy if they do not run in the Cup.
reductio ad absurdum
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 11:33am
OTI haven’t paid up for Amade in that latest round of acceptances for the Melb Cup.

Despite 5 of the horses he steamrolled over the top of in the Geelong Cup last week all being acceptors - Ashrun, More Felons, Magical Lagoon, Virtuous Circle & King Frankel.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 11:52am
Steamrolled?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 12:00pm
The way he burst through and ran through the line, I think that is an apt description. 
reductio ad absurdum
TOLEDO View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOLEDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 4:27pm
What do you make of Ashrun? He should have more improvement out of Geelong than anything else and his run in the 2020 cup of was great after drawing wide and dropping out the back
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

The way he burst through and ran through the line, I think that is an apt description. 

Won by 0.3l so no I wouldn’t describe it as that. Regardless, it was zero chance in the Melbourne cup anyway. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 4:41pm
Henderson said @ Geelong that Amade would not be in the MC as it's his job to maximise owners' returns & he felt the horse would be just making up the numbers. Fair enough reasoning too I reckon.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Won by 0.3l so no I wouldn’t describe it as that. Regardless, it was zero chance in the Melbourne cup anyway. 

0.3l hardly tells the story. 
reductio ad absurdum
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by TOLEDO TOLEDO wrote:

What do you make of Ashrun? He should have more improvement out of Geelong than anything else and his run in the 2020 cup of was great after drawing wide and dropping out the back

I’m actually on for a small bet at big odds in the cup. Don’t dismiss him
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 10:21pm
Amade was a top 10 chance for sure, they're crazy.

Ashrun not going as well as two years ago but could still earn a top 10 cheque too
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:31pm
From Racing.com

OTI Racing provide the topweight in the $200,000 Bagot Handicap (2800m) at Flemington in the form of Geelong Cup winner Amade.

“He’s going all right,” Henderson said, “We’ve tried a few tactics to get him out of the gates as he’s been reluctant to leave. That includes a blindfold and keeping him on his toes and that seems to work a bit better.

“The 2800 metres is right up his street and if it stays dry, he certainly will run well.”

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 7:25pm
Gee he is a tough old horse. If only he could leave the barriers cleanly. Would be hard to beat in the Adelaide Cup if he figured it out. 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 3:06pm
Snapped his iron and still managed to run 4th. 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 3:11pm
Huge performance Shawy.  Zac will be counting his blessings let alone his crown jewels after that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 4:25pm
Hopefully stewards will be all over this.

"Iron snaps on Amade going to the barrier" courtesy of Racing.com but you'd think it was the leather that broke, but either way it's replaced prior to the start. 
And then what?  The other iron/leather fractures on the jump leaving Icepack Zac with just one iron and riding like the last of the straight-backs a century or more ago.

One gear failure? Entirely possible.  Subsequent identical gear failure (other leather)?  Astounding.  

Hope Phil's clients aren't paying a monthly fee for gear maintenance.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 4:37pm
Would be Zac’s gear 
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 4:50pm
Good point.  In retrospect, yes.  
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 9:27pm
Worked for a good trainer who took on a leading apprentice halfway through his indentures , we were feeding up again at 7pm when he turned to the new kid and said " bring your racegear out , I want to insect it " , kid returns with a canvas bag and was told to upend it on the floor , the old boy had this big knife for cutting carrots and proceeded to inspect his gear , half an hour later with mouth open couldn't believe the old boy had done to his gear , " you want me to back my horses riding with that rubbish " get the Race Club to give you a cheque for new gear " , problem solved .
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 2:47pm
From the Stewards

AMADE (IRE) (Z. Spain) – the off side stirrup leather snapped en route to the barriers dislodging

Z. Spain. AMADE (IRE) galloped riderless for a short distance prior to being recaptured.

Underwent a pre-race veterinary examination and was deemed suitable to start. Z. Spain was

examined by the First Care Medical personnel and passed fit to fulfil his engagements. A

replacement off side stirrup leather was fitted to the saddle at the barriers. Stood flat-footed and

was slow to begin. Passing the winning post on the first occasion the near side stirrup leather

snapped resulting in the rider being placed at an extreme disadvantage for the remainder of the

event. Stewards took possession of the broken stirrup leathers, which appeared to be in good

condition, and undertook to bring the issue to the attention of the manufacturer.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 2:53pm
Do jockeys oil their leathers these days?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 2:59pm
Only ask because when our kids were riding they were very early one told by riding school staff to do so, including removing the the stirrups from the "niche' created by pressure, and then fully straightening the leathers before applying neatsfoot. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 3:19pm
Saddle soap is the best , well to do jocks would have their " valet " do the maintenance and report back , the battlers , your on your own , hard to say if it's a manufactures fault , maybe the whole saddle needs looking into , from the " tree " on the inside imo .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 3:42pm
Uh oh, saddle soap for sure and certain C.  Getting confused with the ages ago maintenance of my trusty baseball glove.  Embarrassed

Talking about valets, first witnessed it up close at Kyneton back in Nov 2002.  The Gauch himself walking on course, followed by a bloke into his 70's lugging almost more gear than he could handle.

Am sure the valets go a lot further back than that though.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 6:09pm
I'm sure it would be a UK/Euro thingy going way way back to maybe Scobie Breasly days , Sir Gordon Richards / Piggot /Pyers / "Togo " Johnston / Glennon/Selwood / of course George ! 😂
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:11pm
Hi Team
Nobody exept extreme light weights use leather, almost everyone uses Goo or Zilco Terylene Web Stirup Straps (leathers) the 30 inch length weight less than a 100grams
It can be down to the (barrel) shape of an individual horse on where the exact pressure goes not necessarily your buckle hole, yes I know sounds counter intuitive.
Personal opinion only, I believe there is no excuse for this its hard enough to get a horse this far and maintaining your gear is the least you can do.
In a different world the Stewards would look at a suspension for not giving the Horse every possible chance.

Again everybody has an opinion its just mine
Ciao For Now Old Flight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12