Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rachael Blackmore NH Champ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachael Blackmore NH Champ
    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm

How empty stands helped Blackmore

Rachael Blackmore has relived the moment she believed her historic Grand National victory was within her grasp as she said she was able to hear the race commentary with no crowd in the stands at Aintree.

The jockey, who travelled home to Ireland on Sunday, was unsurprisingly still on cloud nine when speaking on RTE Radio 1's Morning Ireland programme on Monday, and described the feeling of winning jump racing's greatest prize as "absolute elation".

She said: "I heard the commentator say I was four lengths in front as we came back on to the racecourse properly. I knew Minella Times would gallop to the line and you start believing it then. It's absolute elation, it really is. It's just so massive, such a special race.

"It's great just to be part of it. I was tenth with Valseur Lido in 2019 and got a kick out of it – no other race gives you that feeling even without winning. To actually go and win it is indescribable.

"I don't think it's all sunk in yet and it probably won't for a while. It's just incredible. Every child with a pony growing up thinks about the Grand National, it's the first race that captured my imagination. It's incredible and I don't know if I have the words to describe it."

The 31-year-old was asked if she would have heard the commentary if the famous meeting had not been held behind closed doors, and added: "Definitely not. That was the one very small, slight advantage in the unfortunate circumstances of having no crowds."

Blackmore, who was the leading rider at the Cheltenham Festival, recorded her breakthrough success aboard Minella Times, who provided her with her first win for JP McManus in December 2019.

The jockey said: "My first feeling when winning at Cheltenham is more of relief because there's more pressure attached. Going into the Grand National, you don't feel the same pressure and people don't have the same expectation because there's 40 horses, more than four miles to run and anything can happen.

"You need so much luck and so much to go your way. You don't have that pressure going in so you don't have the same instinctive relief when you cross the line."

A small break in June will give Blackmore a chance to reflect on the magnitude of her achievements but more immediately, she returns to the saddle for six rides at Fairyhouse on Tuesday. She trails Paul Townend by ten winners in her bid to be crowned champion jockey.

Townend has been out of action since falling at Fairyhouse on April 4 and it remains unclear when he will return.

However, when interviewed on BBC Radio 4's World at One programme, Blackmore said she is taking each day as it comes rather than solely focusing on winning a first jockeys' title to cap off her landmark season.

"I never did set myself massive targets and I'm not going to start now, you try and get the best out of the horses you're riding on the day," she said. "Of course, I'd love to win a Gold Cup or jockeys' title but it's not something I sit down and target at the start of the year.

"The one thing that you learn very quickly is that you're going to lose a lot more than you win. You're going to take the falls and disappointments, but you're living for the days that it does work out like Saturday. Racing never lets you get too carried away."

Ireland's champion Flat trainer Aidan O'Brien also paid tribute to Blackmore and praised her tactical awareness on Racing TV.

"It's absolutely incredible for Rachael, Henry [de Bromhead] and everyone," he said. "Rachael is a superstar. We've known her and her parents since the lads were riding ponies. She's just a little bit older than Joseph but she's always been a star.

"She's an unbelievable rider. You can see her parents in her. She's come from point-to-pointing and has made it there herself."

He added: "The way she bounced back from falls at Cheltenham on the same day she rode winners was incredible. She's tactically brilliant and an unbelievable horsewoman – she has it all.

"She's hungry, intelligent and rides an uncomplicated, perfect race for a horse. She rides the horse rather than the race all the time and does it day-in day-out. It's not simple, but she makes it look simple."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:03pm
She must have guts.   To ride that race.   Awesome. 
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:25pm

There’s no point in now telling lies: I wasn’t part of the Rachael Blackmore brains trust that advised the relatively unsuccessful amateur to turn professional at the age of 25, to try her hand at a profession which would require as much mental toughness as most other people think it requires physical resilience.

I wasn’t one of the few who spotted the talent and, being honest, until we crossed paths in her first season as a claiming professional, I only knew her as Miss R Blackmore on the racecards, riding occasionally for John “Shark” Hanlon.

She says she turned professional because she had nothing to lose, but I don’t buy that.

A young woman fresh out of college had as much to lose as she was ever likely to gain. But I guess there was the mentality and outlook that we are all seeing now.

The will to try, the belief to keep trying, the state of mind to recognise improvement will always be needed, and the ability to be self-critical, but not to the point of self-doubt, are not strengths all people possess.

Even if they sound simple, the easy things are always the hardest.

I will also freely admit I was never sure — nor am I still — that being a professional jump jockey is a trade for every female because, simply, it is not one for every male either. Winning is magnificent, but the only guarantees any jockey has is that they will lose more than they win and will hit the ground on average once in every 19 rides.

Anthony McCoy is the winning-most and losing-most National Hunt jockey of all time; Richard Johnson is second in both; I am third. One comes with the other, and you can do the maths for how many falls each of us had.

The physical pain of anything in life leaves you quickly, it is what affect it has on you mentally that will determine what course of action you take.

It is those individuals who repeatedly pick themselves up and go again that I admire most.

For me, this is where Rachael Blackmore breaks the mould.

Some of the most talented horse people in the world have been female, but in a sport where two ambulances follow you around every day, it is the sheer strength of will she has to pick herself off the floor and go again that amazes me.

There is no doubt she has ridden her way to the top of the tree, helped by the support of many, but given the opportunity to ride better horses by Gigginstown House Stud, firstly, and Henry de Bromhead, secondly, that has pushed her to where she is now.

When I was given my last champion jockey’s trophy, in 2017, I stood beside her on the podium at Punchestown as she was crowned champion conditional and even from then to now, she is unrecognisable.

Her progress in the finer details of race-riding has been on a trajectory that economists would love, but even since Honeysuckle in the 2020 Mares’ Hurdle at Cheltenham to Honeysuckle in the 2021 Champion Hurdle, Rachael has further harnessed the skills of race-riding.

Tactical awareness, judgement of pace, and conviction in her own plans led to Saturday at Aintree, where, by the time she crossed back over the Melling Road after jumping just 12 of the 30 fences in the world’s greatest steeplechase, she was singing off her own hymn sheet, situated exactly here she wanted to be, just lengths behind the leader, Jett, close to the favourite, Cloth Cap, and beside her housemate, Patrick Mullins, who was on Burrows Saint.

From there, she negotiated her way over The Chair and set off on what must have been the most thrilling two miles of her life as, with each fence jumped thereafter, she felt the reality of winning the Grand National grow greater.

From the elbow she knew she would win. What she felt then was the excitement of a lifetime’s ambition becoming reality.

Indescribable, but what she didn’t yet feel like she had accomplished was the breaking of the highest glass ceiling in National Hunt racing.

A woman had finally ridden the winner of the Grand National.

No ordinary person, either, because whilst she undoubtedly has the physical strength, it is the mental courage of any top sports person that she has too.

I know from looking at her that physically, as I did myself, she aches at the minute when she gets a fall, but no-one outside of Rachael’s world will even notice that.

Her achievements at Cheltenham and on Saturday at Aintree have been earned whilst parking pain in some far-flung corner of her brain.

I watched her fall from Plan Of Attack at an empty Prestbury Park an hour after Allaho won the Ryanair Chase.

I stood with David Casey, watching the screens being erected around her as the medical team attended, and we both thought something was amiss. It probably was, but she got up and walked away. When you ask her how she is, her mouth utters the words “fine, thanks” but her eyes scream otherwise, and her body just carries on because that is the price of success.

Ronan O’Gara always told me that when you miss the first penalty take the second like it’s the first. Simple logic, but try it someday when you make a mistake.

Yet, when Captain Guinness ran away with her in the Arkle, she parked it and won the Champion Hurdle an hour later.

Jason The Militant dumped her far too easily in the Aintree Hurdle on Thursday and she responded by winning the Grand National. How? Why? Because she can do it all: Park physical pain, take the pressure of setbacks and defeats,and carry on delivering.

I doubt Rachael will read this, but if you do, have a look in the mirror. You are Rachael Blackmore. You are a Grand National-winning rider. But most of all, you are a brilliant jockey.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40263593.html

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:39pm
Wow, what a shower of accolades from one who really does know what he's talking about & I love the insight her gives the reader. Thank djebel, great find Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply