Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stay Inside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stay Inside
    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:47pm
Hello,
I read the thread of the "Golden Slipper" contenders and the winner Stay Inside.

The most interesting aspect in the ped of the Sire "Extreme Choice" I spot the name of "Ole Bob Bowers", His most popular offspring was the very succesful gelding "John Henry". Maybe some elder racegoers remember his name.

Thanks to "Gay", who listed the famele families of all starters in the 'Slipper'.

best regards, Ticino

Many thanks Ticino but I suspect it was 'furious' who listedf the female lines Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Mar 2021 at 1:25pm
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:52pm
Top American horse from memory .
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Top American horse from memory .
May have been named after famous miner , Johnny cash and others sing of his life .
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:05pm
John Henry's record

JOHN HENRY(USA) 1975                                       
Bay gelding                                       
Ole Bob Bowers (USA) 1963 (Prince Blessed (USA) 1957) - Once Double (USA) 1967 (Double Jay (USA) 1944)                                       
Countries raced: USA, Japan (Japan Cup - unplaced)                                       
83 starts, 39 wins (16 x G1 (3 x dirt, 13 x turf/grass), 15 seconds and 9 thirds.  Win % 47.0, Place % 75.9. Earnings USD 6,591,860.  
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:53am
wow. great record, must have been sound to go on, good earnings for that time too.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:15pm

From a $1,000 Mare and Now One of the Most Valuable Colts in the Nation

Mark Smith - Saturday March 27

Stay Inside looked a picture in the mounting yard before the running of Saturday’s $3,500,000 Longines Golden Slipper (1200m) at Rosehill Gardens and looked even better a short time later with a dominant performance in the world richest race for two-year-olds.

From an inside barrier, everything fell into place for the stocky son of Extreme Choice.

Settled just off the speed by Tommy Berry, the Richard and Michael Freedman-trained colt peeled three-wide on the home turn. With a brilliant burst of excelleration, Stay Inside put the race to bed in a matter of strides.

It was left to Godolphin’s top-class Street Boss (USA) colt Anamoe to mount any sort of challenge. Coming from second last, Anamoe gave Rachel King a torrid ride down the length of the straight to get within one and three-quarter lengths of the winner.

Godolphin claimed third place with the handsome Ingratiating, an admirably consistent son of Darley Stud’s first season sire Frosted (USA). Damien Oliver weaved between runners in the straight to finish tw

The well-supported Snitzel filly Four Moves Ahead was just edged out of third with Captivant (Capitalist) in fifth and Artorius (Flying Artie) in sixth.

”That’s a huge thrill. Michael’s done a great job with the two-year-olds as he always does,” Richard Freedman said.

“He picked the right day to work him and worked him the right way, and the horse looked beautiful here today. I thought he looked better today than when he won.”

Michael Freedman said the son of Extreme Choice is foolproof.

“He’s just such a professional. You can make all the plans in the world from barriers, but he (Tommy Berry) rode him to absolute perfection and got him into the perfect spot,” he said.

“He was able to find the right spot and conserve his energy, and with that turn of foot, he’s the real deal.

“Last year we sat at home and we didn’t have a runner anywhere. To have two in the race today and come away with the winner, I’m a bit speechless.

“We are very close to Tommy. It goes back to the Singapore days when Nathan (Berry) was the stable rider for me up there and tragically passed away. Tommy and I have had a pretty special bond since then. I guess there’s a touch of irony that he ended up on that horse today.”

Tommy Berry expanded on the close association.

“I’m lost for words. Having an association with Michael, he’s been a good family friend, Berry said.

“When Nathan passed away, he and his wife Anna and their beautiful family looked after us in Singapore.

“We came back and I ran second (in the Slipper) for them on a filly called Frolic and I told them I’d go one better for them this year.

“Before this horse had his first start I told Michael he needed time. Now he’s bloody gone and won a Golden Slipper.

“To do it for that family, the Freedmans, it just means so much to me. And to have my beautiful family here, my wife and my kids.”

Stay Inside won easily on debut at Randwick back in January. He then improved on that again three weeks later with a four-length romp on a soft track at Randwick in the Pierro Plate, after which Newgate Farm bought into the colt.

Stay Inside was a troubled fourth in the Group II Todman Stakes at Rosehill at his most recent start.

A $200,000 Magic Millions purchase from the Newgate Farm draft for Freedman Brothers/Rick Connolly Bloodstock, Stay Inside was a successful pinhook, having been bought originally from the Kingstar Farm draft at the Magic Millions National Weanling Sale for $60,000.

Bred by Kingstar Farm, Stay Inside is the first winner for Nothin Leica Storm, purchased by Kingstar for $90,000 from the Widden Stud draft at the 2018 Inglis Chairman’s Sale when carrying the Golden Slipper hopeful. 

Nothin Leica Storm was sold for just $1,000 at the 2015 Inglis Australian Broodmare Sale following a career on the track that yielded one win, in a maiden at Cessnock from 20 starts.

Stay Inside a $200,000 Magic Millions Yearling

Stay Inside a $200,000 Magic Millions Yearling

Nothin Leica Storm is a half-sister by Anabaa (USA) to the dam of stakes-placed Dinnigan and Pouting Lips from the family of Group I Caulfield Guineas winner Wonderful World.

Nothin Leica Storm has a filly foal by Russian Revolution pictured below at Kingstar Farm.

She was covered by Extreme Choice and Cosmic Force last year but missed to both.

Winner of the 2016 Blue Diamond Stakes, Extreme Choice finished midfield after a torrid run in that year’s Golden Slipper won by his Newgate Farm barn mate Capitalist.

Fertility problems resulted in Extreme Choice having 48 foals in his first crop, 29 in his second and 39 in his third. The son of Not A Single Doubt covered 105 mares last spring.

Stay Inside becomes the first stakes-winner for Extreme Choice, who vaults to the head of the first season sires table as well as the new leader for champion 2yo sire.   

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 2:01pm
I will be very interested to see how this colt does next season.

People say that Gai is hard on her 2yo's but if you look at the Freedmans Slipper winners, only one of them went on to group 1 glory after the slipper, and that was Flying Spur. 

The significant influence here was actually Anthony Freedman. He basically trained Bint Marscay being the Sydney stable foreman and he also had Flying Spur for the spring as a 3yo, until he went down for the Caulfield Guineas, so the other three Freedman brothers only got Flying Spur back when he started his 3yo autumn campaign.

I am not sure what distance will be his best, but he looks a pure sprinter to me, so maybe 1400m and the Golden Rose will be his major target, and then back to the Coolmore Stakes on derby day.

I will be very interested to see how he and Artorius go next season, as I still would rather own Artorius as a racehorse.   
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:15pm
If you saw John Henry in person, you would think he was a backyard-bred child's pony.  I saw him the year before he died in the middle of winter, and he looked like a very shaggy knock-kneed backyard bred kid's pony.

Tough as old boots and a fantastic racehorse.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:23pm
Just a bit of trivia KM , there's a statue of the man he was named after in Summers County , West Virginia .
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:48pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 6:05pm
What did the Stewards inquiry find from his previous run ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 6:40pm

Connections to spell Stay Inside rather than run in the Sires

Golden Slipper winner Stay Inside will head to the spelling paddock rather than run in Saturday week's Group 1 ATC Sires' Produce Stakes at Randwick.

On Monday, connections were giving consideration to running the valuable colt in the 1400m feature on the first day of The Championships but within 24 hours the plans were changed.

“He’s done such a fantastic job in such a short space of time and we felt it is the best decision for the horse’s long-term future,” Freedman, who trains in partnership with his brother Richard, said.

“He’s done his job and we don’t want to make the mistake of going back to the well once too often.

“The horse has pulled up really well but collectively we felt the best decision is to put him out now in really good nick.

“He’s only had two preparations in the stable and only went to the races for the first time in January.

“There is nothing else to prove.”
Freedman said Stay Inside would now have an extended spell while connections consider their spring targets.

Leading Hunter Valley stud Newgate Farm purchased a major share holding in the colt prior to his win in the Golden Slipper which enhanced his value to more than $30 million.

Races like the Group 1 Golden Rose and Coolmore Stud Stakes are sure to be high on the spring three-year-old agenda while a tilt at the $15 million The Everest is also be given serious consideration.

Freedman said he wants to give the colt the best possible chance of carrying on his winning ways as a three-year-old unlike recent Golden Slippers – Farnan, Kiamichi and Estijaab which didn’t win another race.
“The best way of doing that is to put him out now, give him a good break and an un-rushed foundation into the spring,” Freedman said.

“He’ll have a good six to eight weeks with part of that to be spent in Queensland in the warmth, away from the Sydney winter.

“Then we’ll build for some more big racing in the spring.

“Knowing what we have done with him as a two-year-old, I’m extremely confident we haven’t seen the last of him and the best could still be ahead.”

The Rating Bureau’s Daniel O’Sullivan rated Stay Inside’s Golden Slipper win the best since Overreach (2013) and Pierro (2012).

Stay Inside’s figure of 105.7 was higher than the likes of Farnan 104.5 (2020) Capitalist 104.7 (2014) Vancouver 104.7 (2015) – all Slipper winning colts.

Godolphin colt Anamoe is the $4 favourite with TAB Fixed Odds to win the ATC Inglis Sires’ Produce Stakes
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
It looks like Anamoe will start odds on now.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
The 2 China horse club horses were wonderful in the slipper
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:04am
For some reason I have more confidence that a Freedman 2yo will go on with it than a Waterhouse 2yo. Based on prejudice.LOL But what do the facts say? How did the Freedman GS winners go as 3yos back in the day?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:35am
Bint Marscay was injury plagued, nearly won a Doomben 1000. Danzero did nothing. Flying Spur won an Australian Guineas and an All Aged. Merlene didn't race after 2.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 2:01pm
Been retired, off to stud. Another flashy 2YO that couldn't make it at 3.
Time is a flat circle
 Post Reply Post Reply