Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Seriously Overrated Jockeys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 10:46am
Berry suffers from riding Chataqua too much, a horse that was able to get back to any bad position and still win. Quite often you'll see Berry ease his mounts back to impossible positions in the run. That said he has a great strike rate and if I was to pick a jock to get the best out of my horse in the last 200m Berry would be right up there. Decision making very suspect though.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 7:34pm
Maybe we should say Jeff Penza is seriously underrated ?   He won all 3 of the big races races at Newcastle yesterday.  The Tibbie, Cameron, and the Cup.  First time its ever been done.
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

....and come here and spank us when they want, with one exception, Frankie Dettori, shocking rides from that man here, have no idea why.

OK,  Dettori had enuff of Pommyland??
Dettori to Winter at Santa Anita Park Starting Dec. 26

"Frankie was riding for Richard Cross at Hollywood Park when he was 15 1/2," - That is 1980s stuff when Billy Shoemaker, Laffit Pincay and Fernando Toro were in the reins!!!

https://www.truenicks.com/articles/264471/dettori-to-winter-at-santa-anita-park-starting-dec-26
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 2:36pm
What a ride by Frankie on the favourite Hosier at Randwick Big smileCryLOLConfusedthis blokes just got to be kidding , thought the winning post was at the half mile , absolute dud ! 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 2:39pm
Btw , finished 50 yards last !  feel for the connections , John Wayne would have ridden it with more tact .
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 3:14pm
Well I guess he has a history of dud rides on the first Tuesday (and even for some of Hosier's connections, think Vow and Declare's Cup win) doesn't he?
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:22pm
I have a new contender.

W.Buick. Not sure if he is overrated, but seriously. 

This Clown, and do not come and tell me he is a class jockey, absolutely slaughtered Zapateo on Saturday and then he must have thought he would get a bonus for getting to the top of the home straight first because he and Knight's Order had a race to that point.

Here is some advice for Godolphin for next year and beyond, after Champions day in England give this guy a trip to the Breeders Cup in the US via a rest in a Mediterranean island from now on PHUKING LET US AUSTRALIAN PUNTERS MISS OUT ON HIS USELESS RIDING Angry 

Just because Godolphin has a rider contracted to them it does not mean he has to ride their horses in Australia.

If international stables have contracted riders, and they are going to use them on horses in all jurisdictions around the world, then they should make the jockeys ride in those jurisdictions for 12 months as part of their contract, so they can gain experience on the tracks that they have not grown up riding on.

His ride on Zapateo was a ride you would see from a jockey at Royal Ascot down the straight. Asfoora went at a good gallop early and he thought she would come back to him and so he saved his run for too late and he was no chance. There is no rise up to the finish at Flemington like Ascot. 

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I have a new contender.

W.Buick.

Here is some advice for Godolphin for next year and beyond, after Champions day in England give this guy a trip to the Breeders Cup in the US via a rest in a Mediterranean island from now on PHUKING LET US AUSTRALIAN PUNTERS MISS OUT ON HIS USELESS RIDING Angry 

Just because Godolphin has a rider contracted to them it does not mean he has to ride their horses in Australia.

I think we need to have Australian immigration authorities be proactive for this to happen. Surely half these folks know how to watch videos? Stop them at the border and this just wont happen!

BTW  William Buick will be on Nations Pride (G3 Jockey Club Derby winner) and Frankie Dettori is on Mishriff (G1 Saudi Cup, G1 Juddmone International winner) at Keeneland this coming Saturday.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 5:03pm
I wonder why Lord Williams hired Dettori to ride for him at Rosehill? Must have been for a laugh, tee her he. Obviously he knows how bad he rides in Australia. I notice he never puts him on one of his cup horses.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:16pm
His last ride in the Melbourne Cup was for Lloyd.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:16pm
He rode Master of Reality second over the line but managed to get demoted to 4th on protest.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:50am
And to add to insult, these blokes are flying business and first class to Oz? surely not......they were economy rides at best, so cattle class please.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:21am
I seriously dont get why anyone would bring an overseas jockey here for a big race when we have the best of the best here.   They dont understand the tracks and the way we race here.  For every 1 bloke that gets a grip on things and wins, aided by a very good horse, there are a dozen who may as well stay home.
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 12:45pm
I reckon Taufans Melody Caulfied Cup win would still haunt a few , suspended for 2 months and 20K fine , what a cowboy that bloke was .Angry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:21pm
Mick Kinane seemed to have it worked out, but I think I read somewhere he actually worked here as a young bloke ??? 
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 4:07pm
Oisin Murphy spent some time here as an apprentice , couldn't count so his even time work was up to sh1t Big smile rode a few winners too , don't think Danny O would put up with him having a " toke " Wink , but he hit the ground running , British Champion jock 19, 20,21 , doing 15 months at the moment , drink ! , I hope he has a photo of Georgie Best on his wall , for one so young and talented , that's how he could finish .
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 4:22pm
Few of Georges best Carioca ;

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds & fast cars. The rest I just squandered"

"In 1969 I gave up women & alcohol. Worst 20 minutes of my life"

"If you make up your own mind, you can only blame yourself"

LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Mick Kinane seemed to have it worked out, but I think I read somewhere he actually worked here as a young bloke ??? 

Kinnane never got closer than 4 wide that I saw.LOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 5:33pm
All good posts but what about Tom Marquand.

See he has spent two autumns riding in Sydney so he understands what is required. It does not seem to have interfered with his progression as a top level jockey.

He actually came with Haggas's horses and spent the six or eight weeks here. Got the lay of the land and he rode Addeyb perfectly coming late at Verry Elleegant and grabbing her late so she could not respond and kick and win.

True professional!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:23pm
Tom is riding in Japan for the next few months along with Holly.

Tom rode a winner on his first day there
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:50pm
I doubt there is a jockey named on THIS page that is overrated.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Australian racetracks were built for corruption and to make jockeys look stupid.

The very best Australian jockeys can look like 4 kilo claimers on our courses.
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 9:42pm
The very best of our jockeys went to UK, EU, India and SEA , and kicked arse !  and Ireland . Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 10:11pm
Kinnane never got closer than 4 wide that I saw.LOL

Yeah but he did crack a winner in the cup, and a place the next year,,3rd or 4th maybe?

animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 3:47pm
He doesn't have his own thread but this one is good enuff....

Frankie Dettori riding tathis weekend  King Abdulaziz Racecourse in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia raising the tempting possibility for his legions of fans worldwide of carrying on longer than planned.

Dettori, who announced his worldwide retirement tour earlier this year, gave hope that racing would get to see more of him, saying the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita Park might not be the last time he takes to the saddle. Among the possible stages for him to bow out on is the Melbourne Cup (G1) in November.

"Ascot (for Champions Day) should be my last one (event) in England and then possibly the Breeders' Cup my last, although I don't know if the Melbourne Cup or something else will materialize," he said.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567