Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Zali Steggall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:36am
Has anyone ever, ever heard, from Australia Day, Invasion Day activists, just once, a word of sympathy for the convicts on the First Fleet ? I'll bet not, whilst ostensibly the activist movement that peddles these agendas is all about human rights, the lack of any inclusiveness of those wretched people, almost all of whom would never see their homeland again, puts the lie to that. Grievances limited in that way, wouldn't impress anyone, it reminds me of an old bloke I knew years ago, who would knock up belly-aching about worker's rights. Nothing wrong with advocating for worker's rights and entitlements, but when that bloke retired, I never heard another word from him, about the poor old working man. Instead, it became an incessant whinge about the plight of the poor old pensioner !
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
Squark all you like but Australia Day won't be on January 26 in 20 years time and probably sooner.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:53am
Maybe focus on issues like health, education, incarceration and communities breaking down instead of worrying about a day and a anthem
EAD
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Maybe focus on issues like health, education, incarceration and communities breaking down instead of worrying about a day and a anthem

Maybe fart and chew gum at the same time.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:57am
sympathy for convicts as a comparison?  seriously.
I though cruelty, murder and genocide of the original people may be a bit more worthy of sympathy.
No matter what way you look at it the 26th is not inclusive. 
How many indigenous don't care Max?
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
Baguette has hit the nail on the head.
As to Australia Day and what date it should be, who cares ? But every nation should have a national day to be proud of their country, and show a bit of patriotism.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Squark all you like but Australia Day won't be on January 26 in 20 years time and probably sooner.Wink
You are the one squarking about Australia Day, I couldn't care less about it. But touting that an issue of substance, in indigenous affairs, is just BS, but that is what your typical do-gooder is, a person not really concerned about anything beyond giving themselves a warm inner glow of moral superiority. Confected outrage just supplies the fodder for that aim. So, when are you going to advocate for ELECTED representatives of the aboriginal people, to speak on their behalf ? I'll tell you when, NEVER,  because that would take do-gooders right out of the picture ! Wink 
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:04am
been reading this thread for some time, and some very good points being made in most cases
having grown up. and going to school with, and working with, many indigenous people,all of my life thus far, most of whom i can claim as friends and in a few cases, through extended family,related to, i am always amazed at the lack of knowledge, or lack of personal engagement, or respect, of a people on whom our forebears imposed themselves. we missed an opportunity to have something like the waitangi treaty that at least laid out something resembling a level playing field for nz, as has been mentioned within the thread, too many people making tokenistic contributions or window dressing a bigger more broader issue by changing one word in a national song,a song that is something that should have been a shoe in really, by creating or changing anything like that into something that everyone participates in and as in new zealand sing it in indigenous and english, simples, 
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:06am
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

sympathy for convicts as a comparison?  seriously.
I though cruelty, murder and genocide of the original people may be a bit more worthy of sympathy.
No matter what way you look at it the 26th is not inclusive. 
How many indigenous don't care Max?
I'm not downplaying dispossession, marble, but you have to read between the lines a little bit, with the "outraged" types not even rating the droves of wretched convicts consigned to a similar or worse fate, as  worthy of even attracting a scintilla of sympathy. Genuine concern for human rights doesn't jive with that, and the invasion day hand wringers lay exposed as hypocrites by that omission. 
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:26am
The British Empire was built by and for the benefit of the upper classes in Britain , plus the burgeoning Middle Classes. The vast majority of the population lived in abject poverty and zero political power or say in Government policy. If in 1788 there had been free and far elections with full voting rights for all there would have been no First Fleet. The ordinary people would have voted for decent housing wages and aged care etc before any foreign expansion. The convicts who ended up here, leaving families , children , everything they knew with no hope of ever returning, had two choices. Sit down and whine or get off their butts and make a life. Thankfully enough chose the latter and they built our country. What would you have done in their circumstances?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
All I know, the plight of those "dispossessed" convicts,  never gets even a token mention by Australia Day hand-wringers, despite them claiming it is a matter of human rights.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:40am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkrjYitgeA
thx for that AA
from my perspective, that means far more to me as, with the heritage of my family, can understand and empathise with indigenous people
being a member of a family that was dispersed by the english to the vast and lonely places on earth, so far from their native scotland, and , for others , other places, either by choice or force
this song encapsulates everything that my heritage and knowledge has provided, apart from the convict legacy of many, my family were farmers,shearers,(me included) gold diggers, preachers, diggers, (soldiers), teachers
music and song has so much power, and it should be used as a means to move to "close the gap" for anyone, not just indigenous, as in the case of this song, it says it all about our great country, i would really like to see some real progress in this, over my next 70 years, i love my country and my country's heritage and hate the political  bullgelati that has happened over the past 7 or 8 years

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:47am
would love to see someone go back and tell the crofters of scotland, (and the irish for that matter) that the evictions, and similar were for their own good, the only reason was to further fill the rich landowners like lord macdonald etc, and while your doing that, fast forward to now and  also tell the indigenous that the land grabs and destruction of sacred grounds like what was done by rio tinto was for their own good as well, can imagine the sanctimonious wail of pinocchio morrison if someone desecrated his "holy" or "sacred" place

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:53am
I am with you Take2.  I had convicts and free settlers who worked the land too.  Many indig worked and played with them.  Those people made Australia what it is today, and I hate seeing these radical hand wringers doing their best to divide us.
Our heritage is unique, and something we ALL should be proud of.  Our country is envied worldwide for our mateship  and free and easy way we accept others, and step up to help in troubled times.
We should all be pulling together , not constantly trying to make mountains out of molehills in the hope it will divide white from black, while not achieving one single thing to help the remote communities , both black and white, who need all the help they can get.
I love seeing the Aust Day photos of all the various migrants who have made Aust home, being so proud to wave our flag and get citizenship. The smiles and happiness on their faces says it all.
Too many dont know just what a great country we have here, and do their dammedest at every turn to pull it down.
Focus on pulling together like they did in the old days, not on constantly looking for a way to divide us.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:58am
It makes ample sense to me, that if you are are going to regard a sector of the population as a "special case" for attention by government, then you must consult with those people in a systematic way, not by listening to megaphone-wielding attention-seekers, and self-promoters, who are not the real stake-holders. It is paternalism to think these people need advocates outside their own group, let's hear their voice, from the grass-roots up, not noisy minorities who have unilaterally declared themselves as their spokespeople ON NO AUTHORITY, just like the do-gooders around here.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:13am
Clap onya MM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234