Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Annabel Neasham

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annabel Neasham
    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
I think she'll be more than worthy of her own thread over time!

Slipper trail part of Ghostwriters script in Golden Gift

Annabel Neashams background is in eventing, she worked with stayers and jumpers in England, and rode the winner of a 10-day race in Mongolia.

But here she is training in Sydney where there is more emphasis on speedy two-year-olds than anywhere else in the world.

When I first came to Sydney I was surprised there was so much importance on the two-year-olds, Neasham said.

But I guess a race like the Golden Slipper has a lot of history and it is a stallion-making race.

All the studs want to win the race with their colts, all the trainers want to win it so that does lead to a greater focus on two-year-olds.

Fortunately, Neasham is showing she is expert at training juveniles, too. She have proved that the last two seasons when in charge of the Sydney satellite stable for trainers Ciaron Maher and David Eustace, regularly turning out two-year-old winners like Away Game, Prague, Holyfield and others.

But at the start of this season, Neasham decided to launch her own training career. She has made a sensational start preparing four winners from just 11 starters including the first three races she had a runner.

And at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, Neasham is chasing her first Sydney Saturday winner with the promising two-year-old colt Ghostwriter in the $1 million Golden Gift (1100m).

Ghostwriter is rated at $8.50 by TAB Fixed Odds in early Golden Gift betting. The Peter and Paul Snowden-trained Captivant is early favourite at $8.50 just ahead of the Maher and Eustace-trained filly Sneaky Five at $4.80.

After winning barrier trials at Randwick and Warwick Farm, Neasham decided to send Ghostwriter to Brisbane for his race debut where he won over 1110m at Doomben.

It was quite an ask sending him interstate but Ghostwriter is a beautiful looking colt, a good mover and very straight forward, Neasham said.

He is so professional with everything he does and if anything it was a benefit that hes had that trip away.

He travelled back in really good order from Brisbane and I always knew he would because hes such relaxed horse, he takes everything in his strike

I think, from the trip, it has sharpened him up mentally. His work on Saturday was really good for him as he is a pretty relaxed dude. He hasnt put a foot wrong to date.

If Ghostwriter can win the Golden Gift, it would be further vindication for the Englishwoman that she has made the right decision to call Sydney home.

Neasham, 29, didnt have a family history in racing but she has always had a love of horses.

I worked mainly for point-to-point people (amateur jumps racing) and also at the Royal Studs breaking-in, she said. I rode out a bit in flat yards but never full time.

In another demonstration of her riding skills, she won the gruelling Mongol Derby a 10-day race over 1000km, riding for 13-14 hours per day.

But Neasham always harboured ambitions to train and decided to move to Australia in 2016 to gain more experience.

She worked initially with Gai Waterhouse at Randwick before shifting to Melbourne where she linked with the Maher stable, eventually relocating back to Sydney two years ago.

I thought I would come and spend a year in Australia before heading back to England but that was more than four years ago, Neasham revealed.

It was always in the back of my mind that I wanted to train but back home everyone was steering me into bloodstock.

It was too hard to train, especially as a girl, certainly that is the perception over there. But my eyes were opened when I got out here, it is the land of opportunity compared to back home.

I realised it would be a possibility to do it out here but I ended up training sooner than I thought I would.

Neasham gained her trainers licence in August and already she has 32 in work at her Warwick Farm stable base.

She has adapted quickly to the Australian way early morning starts for trackwork and preparing her team on tight, turning courses.

This is a vastly different environment to England where trackwork doesnt start until after 7am and is conducted primarily on spacious paddocks and rolling hills.

The training conditions in Australia are more suited to two-year-olds than perhaps anywhere else, she said.

When you are training on a racecourse, you dont really need to get the stamina into two-year-olds legs.

It is more about conditioning them and keeping them sharp. Training them on the racecourse rather than up hills like we do back home helps with that.

Even the pre-dawn starts to her working day dont seem to bother her.

The alarm goes off at 2.45am every morning and if you didnt enjoy doing it, then you would just roll over and stay in bed, Neasham said.

I love training, every minute of it, I dont think you could do it if you didnt.

Ghostwriter has made the early morning starts even more enjoyable this week as the colt continues to please Neasham in the countdown to the Golden Gift.

Even the likelihood of a heavy track at Rosehill on Saturday hasnt dampened Neashams confidence. They are all in the same boat, she said.

Ghostwriter is by champion sire I Am Invincible and is the only foal produced by Heavenly Sound as, sadly, she died just a few months after giving birth to her colt. Heavenly Sound is a sister to former champion racehorse and sire, High Chaparral.

Given Ghostwriters pedigree and faultless conformation, he was always going to command a hefty price tag as a yearling with Aquis securing the colt for $975,000 at the Magic Millions Yearling Sale earlier this year.

There is an element of pressure when you are training such expensive colts but I feel it is good pressure, Neasham said.

It is my job to make him into a stallion. He has a stallions pedigree and I like that challenge of trying to place these horses well after having had that exposure when working with Ciaron and a lot of expensive colts.

Ghostwriter earned $72,500 for his Doomben win and a top three placing in the Golden Gift would secure his place in the field for the big juvenile races later in the season including the Magic Millions in January and the Golden Slipper in March.

I remember last year when working with Ciaron we had Cellsabeel making her debut in the Golden Gift and she earned $44,000 for running fourth, she said.

Just having that money in the bank means you can plot your path in the autumn to the big race (Golden Slipper) without having to chase so much.

Im hoping Ghostwriter can run well and earn some good prizemoney, too. He has all the right attributes for a two-year-old, he has made my life easy so far and hopefully he will make us look good on Saturday.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:50pm
Agree Gay - Annabel will be an absolute superstar.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:02pm
From 37 runners she has had 10 winners. 
reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:52pm
You can't beat these Pommie Sheila's, this lass is a gun. No, she's a cannon.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:04pm
Unquestionably.  Star
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:43am

Annabel Neashams rising stable has secured some A-grade talented with a number of potential Group 1 runners recently added to her stable.

Aquis-owned Global Quest, Osamu and Olmedo are three of a number of horses to have been moved from Chris Waller, while Ciaron Maher and David Eustace-trained Prague has also been added.

The acquisitions are massive for Neashams thriving stable with Aquis holding hopes Group 1 hopes for import Olmedo.

Global Quest ran in the Golden Slipper last preparation, while Osamu has competed at black type level and placed in four of his nine career starts.

They join rising star Mounga under Neashams care, while progressive colt Cadenabbia has also moved.

Prague is Group 1-placed following his second in Aprils Sires Produce Stakes, while he has a win in the Group 3 Pago Pago to his name. Racing decisions relating to Prague are made by Kia Ora Stud.

Aquis managing director said the move of their horses was a sign of the faith they had in Neasham, adding that some horses part-owned by them would remain with Waller.

Everyone knows we are huge supporters of Annabel and with the start she has had, we have every confidence having horses with her, thats for sure, McGrath said.

There are some horses we own in partnership that have stayed with Chris Waller. Its more the horses we control (that we have moved to Annabel).

Meanwhile, Neasham will saddle up Queen Of Wizardy in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m) next Saturday.

The Aquis-owned galloper is a $15 chance with Sportsbet following a stunning debut win last start.

Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
"Aquis managing director said the move of their horses was a sign of the faith they had in Neasham".

Sounds like they have little faith in CJW. 
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:42pm
CJW is too smart to deal with the grubs at Aquis. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Good Old Ted Good Old Ted wrote:

CJW is too smart to deal with the grubs at Aquis. 

LOL  Good Old Ted told a funny. LOLLOL
reductio ad absurdum
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 10:27pm
Are Aquis the guys who pulled a holier-than-thou and said they wouldn't race horses in Qld until integrity issues were sorted, but also had horses with DKW?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 6:18pm
Snagged a win with Olmedo in QLD
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm

A Britain-based racehorse owner disillusioned with the state of racing in his homeland has signed for a half-million yearling to be trained by Annabel Neasham.

Noel Wilson bought a Lope de Vega colt for 250,000 guineas (approximately A$505,000) on the opening day of the Tattersalls October Yearling Sale Book 2.

Wilson, who formerly worked at The Sun newspaper in their racing department, races horses in France under the name Just Wow Ltd and has owned horses in Australia, including the OTI Racing-owned Scarlet Tufty.

"I live in Kent, but I would never have a horse in training in England, it is just a joke," Wilson told The Owner Breeder.

"I have had horses in Australia come 10th and pick up 1500 (A$2800). It is not a deciding factor, but it is indicative of what is going on. If you look at Australia, I have seen 90-rated horses placed in Group 1s.

"I am not really rich enough to support British racing. I set the alarm to watch the horses run in Australia, and I also have Equidia (French racing TV channel) in the kitchen.

"I don't need to go and watch them physically. When they lose it is nice to turn around and make a cup of tea (rather) than have to get in the car and drive to a different country to get home!"

Wilson's support in entrusting to Neasham the colt, who was raised in the UK county of Northamptonshire, again highlights her rapid growth, just 14 months after saddling up her first runner in her own right.

Neasham currently has 137 horses registered in her care, with 22 of those horses foreign-bred and boasting clientele around the world.

She trains Cox Plate favourite Zaaki, who has eased to $3 with Sportsbet following his surprise defeat in last Saturday's $1 million Group 1 Might And Power (2000m) at Caulfield.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:01am
I have just read that Lizzie Jelfs is helping Annabel out with some bloodstock work, at the Magic Millions sales this week. 

I think they are creating a syndicate together, so it will be interesting to see whether Lizzie can transfer her talents to yearlings.

Might look into the syndicate. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 1:55pm
trying to escape the big wet she had a very nice horse trial at Ararat the other day
Numerian - one to keep an eye on...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 3:11pm
Cheers & well spotted Clap
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 12:02am
Annabel has an interesting 1st starter in R4 at Canberra tomorrow.

Sequin Dress - imported 3yo filly by Camelot

Annabel is also the sole owner.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:13am
She has only just turned 3.

She must be verry verry classy to kick her off over 5. 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 12:41pm
Was sold twice as a young horse, I wonder how she ended up out here

Sales Information

Tattersalls2020 October Yearling Sale Book 2 (818)  Cooneen Stud, Ireland Rae Guest RacingGNS 10,000
Goffs - IRE2019 November Foal Sale Part 1 (145)  Collegelands Stud Cooneen StudEUR € 16,000
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 11:32am
Annabel has got Sequin Dress running again today - Race 5 at Kembla and at a 1200m sprint trip.  

Her debut didnt scream back me next time, but just interesting to see how she much she he as progressed since that run.  A real stamina heavy pedigree, just want to keep an eye on her for the future.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:55pm

Neasham's Magnolia Cup second

Star trainer Annabel Neasham has again proven there is no end to her skill with a placing in a charity race at Goodwood overnight.

The Group 1-winning trainer rode the Tom Ward-trained Zhui Feng in the Magnolia Cup, flashing home for second.

The race was won by Ashleigh Wicheard, who saluted on the Scott Dixon-trained Dark Shot.

Held at Goodwood, the Magnolia Cup features 12 women from various backgrounds who race down the straight to raise money for charity.

The ever competitive Neasham had been preparing for Wednesday race, riding at the jumpouts before her depature.

She also spent time riding Zhui Feng in trackwork before the race.

Afterwards, Neasham shared a photo on her social media with legendary trainer Gai Waterhouse.

“It was great. I was pretty unfit, but the horse gave me a great spin. I probably could have broken away cleaner but, with a standing start, he felt like he wanted to whip around at the start, so I felt like I wanted one to follow," Neasham told Racing TV.

"I thought at halfway we might reel in the winner. There are two winning posts and I thought if it was the second one we might get there. He was awesome. He is a nine-year-old gelding and has had 45 starts – he was a perfect ride.

"It was a thrill. You are riding half a ton of animal. It makes me appreciate how fit the jockeys are. I'd love to take the idea back to Australia. There is all the health and safety things, but if it can be done here, I don't see why not. It is a brilliant concept, great way to raise racing's profile and raise money for charity.”

Congratulations to @missblackequest who wins the 2022 Magnolia Cup with @scottpjdixon-trained Dark Shot

The Magnolia Cup has raised over £1 million for a host of charities & sees female riders from a range of backgrounds come together to take part in the famous race. pic.twitter.com/iE0Git0XE8

— Goodwood Racecourse (@Goodwood_Races) July 28, 2022

Wicheard, who travels horses for Wiltshire trainer Neil Mulholland, took the knee – an action in support of the Black Lives Matter movement – prior to the 1100m event.

The 36-year-old, who became interested in racing thanks to an aunt who used to work for the Elite ownership group, had spells in and out of the industry before committing to it, and now trying to better it.

"In all honesty, I wasn't sure if I would go back into racing but I took a few years out, got some qualifications, and then realised it was what I had to do," she said.

"With the George Floyd murder and the lack of diversity in racing, in order to help change the narrative, I knew it was the right time to get back into the game and be that black girl regularly seen in the paddock.

"If I can act as a role model for black women and get more of them into the sport, then I’ll be over the moon. It’s not going to happen overnight and I’m fully aware of that, but I’d like to think me taking the knee will make more people aware and improve things as a result."

Wicheard, whose fitness levels include the ability to hold a four-minute plank, was joined by her 11 fellow riders in taking the knee.

She added: "Promoting diversity in racing is my purpose and hopefully the decision I’ve made to take the knee demonstrates that.

"Riding in the Magnolia Cup and taking the knee are opportunities for racing to get behind this. I’m really confident there will continue to be diversity in this sport, and I just want things to progress and for the sport to be as equal as it possibly can be.

"I’ve been very lucky and fortunate to have received the opportunities that I have. I work for an amazing team at Neil’s and I want more black women like myself to be able to follow in my footsteps. There’s no doubt that the sport still has a long way to go in terms of diversity and equality, but there have been definite forward steps and I just want to keep it going."

Trained by Scott Dixon, Dark Shot is due to run in Saturday's Coral Stewards' Sprint Handicap at the track.

"That was an absolute thrill," Wicheard said. "I’ve been thinking the race over in my head for so long and this was the dream outcome. I don’t think it’s quite hit me yet.

"My instructions were to get a really good start, hope for the best and try to keep on pushing, and that’s exactly what I did."

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:14pm
I watched that race, and was somewhat confused when the caller declared the winner at least 50m b4the winning post.
Never ever thought there was 2 winning posts.

AN definitely would have won if they used the normal winning post

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 8:21pm

QRIC stewards investigate Neasham

Cox Plate contender Annabel Neasham is under investigation in Queensland for alleged illegal use of shockwave treatment on a horse that was scratched from Eagle Farm last Saturday.

A Queensland Racing Integrity Commission spokesperson confirmed the investigation on Tuesday. 

‘’QRIC stewards are investigating NSW trainer Annabel Neasham for allegedly using shockwave treatment on horse Supergiant within the prohibited number of clear days,” the spokesperson said.

‘’Supergiant was scratched from racing at Eagle Farm on Saturday.

‘’Under the Rules of Racing, Extra-Corporeal Shock Wave treatment is prohibited from use within seven clear days of racing.’’

Neasham, who has three Cox Plate runners – Zaaki, Mo’unga and Laws of Indices - could not be contacted for comment.

In April 2020, trainer Ciaron Maher was fined $2000 for the use of shockwave therapy within the allowed cut-off period before one of his horses ran at Flemington.

Post Reply Post Reply