Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

1988 Sporting Globe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Sporting Globe
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:43pm
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:12am
Will be a great read , many thanks.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
That takes me back.  I used to buy the Globe without fail and always saved the photo charts and race results.  I had years and years of them (until they were turned to pulp in a flood).  Great publication and a great read.  Thumbs Up
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:55pm
Never got back to say thanks Tonto regarding post size so ta mate, funny thing back to normal when I post but small where they land .LOL
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 3:01am
The Sporting Globe was a super paper. The charts and the commentary were excellent.

Folks, How would you compare it to The Sportsman and Best Bets (little book style)?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:00pm
Two ends of the the information spectrum there Brudder.  The Sportsman was information overload whereas the the Best Bets is minimalist at best.  The Globe was the Goldilocks option. 

I always thought the Sportsman was too hard to read - but it had everything in it.  Best Bets was light on for form and you had to trust their tipsters. It was a handy size though.

What I really wanted for form was a racebook.  They were getable but you either had to go to the city newsagents to buy one or one of very few newsagents dotted around the suburbs.   But for the results the Tuesday Globe with its photo charts and full results was without peer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply