Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nonconformist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:04pm
Nice to see this horse putting it together , 2nd prizemoney in the CC  hard to earn with pick n shovel. Smile
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:08pm
I have to admit Shawy he is not one of mine, but if this was the 1990's that would have been considered the best Caulfield Cup trial and he would be near favorite for the race.

I still think he needs to step up a little but if he can run a strong 2400m he has to be a top four hope at least. 

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
I like him, will give a run for my money anyway.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:54pm

Danielle Henwood doesn't know what she'll whisper in Nonconformist's ear when she lets him onto the track for Saturday's Caulfield Cup (2400m).

She thinks it'll probably be something simple like 'come home safe boy'.

He's far exceeded anything she had ever hoped and dreamed for the homebred son of Rebel Raider and the enormity of the fact he's lining up as a genuine contender in the $5 million race isn't lost on her.

Henwood is the breeder, part-owner, track rider and strapper of the five-year-old. She does it all and is living the dream with Nonconformist, whose five wins and seven minor placings have netted more than $830,000 in prizemoney.

It's one of the great fairytales of this year's race but one that almost didn't happen.

Henwood was born into the industry with her family heavily involved in breeding and training thoroughbreds.

But with rising costs and limited success, there came a point where her father was ready to call time on their little venture.

He ordered his daughter to disband their broodmare band, although she convinced him to let her take a punt on a modestly performed Hold That Tiger mare, Good Thinking.

"We tried to create a little dynasty of our own and they weren't super horses, but they held their own in the bush," Henwood said.

"Good Thinking was out of a mare called Rowenchelle, who was a Last Tycoon mare that we kind of ended up with by default because the owners didn't pay their bills.

"She's only a pit pony, she'd be lucky to stand 15 hands on her toes.

"She had a few foals for us, all of which won races and they ranged from 1000-metre horses to milers and up to Good Thinking, who ran over 1800m and 2000m.

"He's very business-minded my father and one day he got his bill for the mares that were on agistment and he said to me that we had to get rid of the horses and that he'd had enough.

"We managed to get rid of the majority of them, but I put my hand up to have Good Thinking because she was such a beautiful mare - she was a big, bay mare that would've stood about 16.2hh.

"He was happy to palm her off to me as long as he didn't have to see any of the bills."

Determined to breed a stayer and armed with only a modest budget, Henwood decided to send Good Thinking to dual Derby winner Rebel Raider, who had sired some handy progeny but no stars.

The result was a nice foal - nothing spectacular - but one that quickly started to assert his authority.

"He was a lovely foal - he's not 100 per cent correct but that's OK," she said.

"Mum (Good Thinking) got colic so he spent the first 10 days of his life in hospital with her.

"But right from the outset he looked like he had a bit of quality about him.

"Once he was weaned off mum, he had a bit of authority about him and he was pretty much a horse that took control of his paddock mates."

A lifetime in the industry has tempered Henwood's expectations for her horses and she admitted she would've been rapt with having a horse capable of tackling mid-week races.

But under Grahame Begg's patient tutelage, Nonconformist has improved with each run - he was a city winner at his fourth start and landed the Group 2 Alister Clarke Stakes (2040m) two starts later.

The gelding has soared to new heights this campaign, booking his Caulfield Cup ticket with a win in the Naturalism Stakes (2000m) and going within a nose of overhauling Probabeel in the G1 Might And Power Stakes (2000m) last start.

"When we took him to Pakenham for his first start, he was ridiculously green and wayward but he boxed on to hit the line very well for third, so I thought to myself that we might have been half a chance of getting a horse that could maybe win a mid-week race," she said.

"So I cannot for the life of me get my head around what he's gone on to do.

"It probably hit home when first-up this preparation we kicked off in a Group 2 race.

"Who would've thought that a homebred who was by a stallion that stood for $4000 would be kicking off in Group races.

"To have been beaten by Probabeel the other day, given the quality of the other horses behind him, I could never have imagined anything like that."

And what does her dad think about Nonconformist's success?

"There's not a day that goes by now where I don't hear about it from Dad," she said.

"I had so much trouble syndicating the horse, so Mum and I ended up retaining a majority share in him.

"I asked Dad if he would like a share in him and he said it wouldn't run before it was five and he had no interest.

"Every time we've been able to get together or we watch the horse race, I get reminded that I should've offered him a share in the horse."

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Nice to see this horse putting it together , 2nd prizemoney in the CC  hard to earn with pick n shovel. Smile

( posted 9-10-21, ) wish I had followed up in the tipping comp Big smile still Grahame will be happy , nice to see. Clap
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:44am
According to a interview with Racenet, this sounds like a sensible plan for 2022.

“We’ll look to once again only give him probably four runs in the preparation starting with the All Aged Stakes in Sydney before heading north for the Hollindale, Doomben Cup and Q22.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:13pm
Because of the heavy track in Sydney Nonconformist is not running in the All Aged and is missing the QLD Carnival.

Unf**kingbelievable. 

The whole autumn wasted. 
reductio ad absurdum
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 6:13pm
Why wouldn’t they run in the Victoria Handicap this weekend?  At 1400m it the same distance as the All Aged Stskes.  Sure he’d get a top weight in the handicap at Caulfield, but it would at least have still be a reasonable starting point rather than aborting the entire winter campaign that would include so many ideal races for him.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 6:40pm

Caulfield Cup runner-up Nonconformist has gone to the paddock after a series of extremely heavy tracks in Sydney cruelled his autumn campaign.

Trainer Grahame Begg said on Monday it was decided that as his preparation for a Queensland winter assault had been too adversely affected by Sydney’s big wet. “So, we’ve put him away until the spring,” he said.

“He was to run in Sydney in races like the All-Aged Stakes as part of his preparation for those races in Queensland but it’s been far too wet for him and we’ve decided to put him away again and aim at the spring.

“He can enjoy a nice, slow build-up and run in some of those early (weight-for-age) races on his way to seeing if he can go one better in the Caulfield Cup.”

Nonconformist was a big improver last spring. He bounced off his listed Naturalism Stakes (2000m) win with a second placing in the G1 Might And Power Stakes (2000m), splitting Probabeel and Zaaki, before beating all but the star Incentivise in the Caulfield Cup.

Begg is soon to welcome back other stakes performers in the form of the flying filly Dosh and the staying mare Butter Chicken.

He said Dosh had too suffered a few niggling troubles in her preparation but was now on track to run at Caulfield on April 23 in either the listed Bel Esprit Stakes (1100m) or the VOBIS Gold Dash (1100m) on the same day.

He said that because she’d had a stop-start campaign, he was wary of aiming up at some of the upcoming Adelaide sprints. “We might even give her this run and back-off and get her ready for those early season sprints such as the Monash and Bletchingly,” he said.

As for Butter Chicken, she too is to be taken along slowly after jarring up badly early last spring at The Valley.

“She’s jumping out at Cranbourne this morning and she looks to be getting back on track,” he said. “She’s eligible to go through the grades so we won’t aim too high just yet.”

Butter Chicken ran second in the G2 Autumn Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield last autumn.

Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:28pm
Graeme Begg on radio this morning announced proposed 6 start Spring program for this horse

1. Memsie Stakes 1400m
2. Craiglee Stakes 1600m
3. Underwood Stakes 1800m
4. Caulfield Stakes 2000m
5. Caulfield Cup 2400m
6. Mackinnon Stakes 2000m
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:32pm
A very traditional campaign.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 8:07pm
He did not look real crash hot on Saturday for missing the Autumn slush.

Probably his worst first up run of his career.
reductio ad absurdum
Jrake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 5:27am
Begg is a good trainer Djebel, lets see how it goes next start.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 1:12pm
Worked home strongly last 100 , just what they wanted , ambitious plans ahead , so its steady as she goes .
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:48pm
That was quite a good second last.

Massive drop in grade next week.

Mr Begg has him spot on. 
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 6:07pm
The grey was a better run but he went well!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:48pm
Already in the spelling paddock.

A seemingly unsuccessful 5 start spring campaign with a 8th of 14, a 7th of 8, 6th of 6, 7th of 8 & 10th of 18.

That spring form card looks terrible yet he still earned a whopping $200,000 in prize money Confused
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 6:15pm
Huge return. Bring on the Aus Cup
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 6:54pm
A very welcome return to form in the Blamey Stks.  After such a lacklustre spring, I was worried he’d lost interest in racing.

Well done G.Begg & H.Coffey Clap
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:52pm
Yep , great return , Beggs on fire , buts its Harry ClapClapClap what an amazing young man he is . Star
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:56pm
I must admit that that was a very, very good return.

Can not see the Australian Cup being a strong one (unless some come down to miss Anamoe) so he has to be well in with a hope. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 2:51pm
What do we make of this guy ?  moody perhaps , gay deceiver , needs everything to go his way ? last start only looked fair dinkum last 200 hundred metres , I like the change of jock today , hope he digs him out of the gates and have him handy , may change his luck , may. Smile
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 5:06pm
Good effort to run home strongly for 2nd in the Q22 WFA at the Farm , $216K should help pay the fees Wink well done boys . ClapClap
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 5:18pm
Love the idea of Graeme Begg keeping young Harry Coffey on this horse , there would be no greater satisfaction in my life if this racing treble can manage a Group 1 , best of luck Harry in the run up to the Caulfield Cup. 😎
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 5:54pm
Interesting radio i/view with "H" this morning which may not be relevant to this particular horse but throws light on why horses settle for him.
About 3 years ago before they changed his meds for the better, he was struggling for breath at the end of distance races if he'd had to fight them early on, so he concentrated on getting them to settle asap which has resulted in him being a renowned distance rider who can actually cope with a post race interview LOL
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 5:56pm
A marvelous young man who thoroughly deserves every success that comes his way.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 5:57pm
Nice run , he is a handicapper not a group horse imo , CC  next for him , love to see him a little more forward in running though , time will tell . 
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 7:05pm
Look like he needs 2 miles. 
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 9:40am
Have to reel myself in from backing Harry every time I see him in the formguide. Saw that documentary they did on him a couple of years ago. What a courageous likeable young bloke. Our Harry’s the real prince Hug
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:42am
You'll be in front if you back him every time you see him in a 1 1/2m or longer race Big smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123