Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2020 UK Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:57am
The Ebor Handicap has been won by the favourite, Fujaira Prince (6g  by Pivotal x Zam Zoom, by Dalakhani). He carried 9 stone 8 pounds, so gave weight to nearly all of the field. A good performance on soft ground. Trained by Roger Varian & ridden by Andrea Atzeni.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:38am
Persian King too good in the G1 mile race at Longchamp. That was a quality G1 WFA mile race.

Pintubo ran on well and looks like the mile suits. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:45pm
Looking forward to the G1 St Leger (2900m WFA) at Doncaster and the G1 Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown. Both races on tonight. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:26am
The G1 Matron Stakes over a mile at Leopardstown has been won by Champers Elysees (3f  by Elzaam x La Cuvee, by Mark Of Esteem).

Her sire, Elzaam, is an Australian bred stallion by Redoute's Choice x Mambo In Freeport, by Kingmambo. He raced in England & was a handy 2yo running 2nd in the G2 Coventry S, and 3rd in the G2 July S & the G3 Horris Hill S. As a 3yo he won the LR Carnarvon S at Newbury. He is a full brother to the good mare Ravi who won the G3 Sheraco S on this day in 2017.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:49am
........ and keeping up the "Australia" theme, the stallion Australia has sired his first Group One winner with Galileo Chrome (3c by Australia x Curious Mind, by Dansili) scoring a narrow victory in the St Leger.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:40pm
Big night in world racing tonight. At Longchamp (France) there is two G1s, one G2 and two G3s. At Curragh (Ireland) we have four G1s and a G2. The St Leger was run on Saturday night in England, now tonight its the Irish St Leger in Ireland. Longchamp will see champion stayer Stradavarius run in a G2 2400m as well - not his ideal distance but a good challenge...his best is 2800m to 4000m.
A great night coming up.

#worldracing #europe #curragh #longchamp
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:13am
Irish St Leger has been won by last year's winner Search For A Song (4m by Galileo x Polished Gem, by Danehill). She defeated the Ebor winner Fujaira Prince & Lloyd's Cup hopeful Twilight Payment.
God bless her!

Other Group One winners on the day were -
At the Curragh -
Flying Five won by Glass Slippers (4m by Dream Ahead x Night Gypsy, by Mind Games)
Moyglare Stud Stakes won by Shale (2f by Galileo x Homecoming Queen, by Holy Roman Emperor)
National Stakes won by Thunder Moon (2c by Zoffany x Small Sacrifice, by Sadler's Wells)

At Longchamp -
Grand Prix de Paris won by Mogul (3c by Galileo x Shastye, byDanehill)
Prix Vermeille won by Tarnawa (4m by Shamardal x Tarana, by Cape Cross)

At Baden-Baden -
Grosser Preis von Baden won by Barney Roy (6g by Excelebration x Alina, by Galileo)

The other race of interest was the G2 Prix Foy won by last year's Epsom Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck (4h by Galileo x Believe'n'Succeed, by Exceed And Excel) who defeated Stradivarius by a short neck.

Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:49am
Hello,
may I point out, In Swoop (by Adlerflug), German Derby winner 2020 was 'runner up' to Mogul at the "Grand Prix de Paris" and Torquator Tasso, by same Sire (secondplace German Derby) was 3rdplaced
at the "Grosser Preis von Baden".
regards, Ticino
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 12:44pm
Thanks to Grey Affair, I'd noticed the dominance of Sadlers Wells & Danehill combined Big smile

More G1 Success for Galileo x Danehill Nick

Champion sire Galileo has always had a great affinity with Danehill line mares and we saw it demonstrated clearly overnight with three Group I winners bred this way in exciting two ye-rold filly Shale, Cox Plate entry Mogul and Search for a Song, who won the Group I Irish St Leger (1m6f) for the second year in a row.

Trained by Dermot Weld. Four year-old mare Search for a Song was given a cool ride by Oisin Orr, who had the mare settled at the back fo the field before powering clear to win by two lengths.

“She was trained for the day and I was quietly confident. I though Oisin switched her off beautifully. He gets horses to relax very well,” said Dermot Weld.

A homebred for Moyglare Stud, Search for a Song has four wins from nine starts and was the Joint Champion 3YO Stayer in Ireland last year.

She is a three-quarter sister to Group I winner and promising young sire Free Eagle being the best of 10 winners from 10 foals to race from Danehill’s blue hen Polished Gem, whose 10 winners include a remarkable six stakes-winners.

Bred on the exact same Galileo x Danehill cross is the Aidan O’Brien trailed three year-old colt Mogul, who posted his first Group I victory when taking out the Group Grand Prix de Paris at Longchamp (1m4f).

A Group II winner last year, Mogul has been thereabouts in good races this year including a sixth in the Epsom Derby and put it altogether for this performance surging away to win by two and a half lengths.

His success emulated that of his full brother Japan, who won the same race last year.

“Mogul is in the Arc, he's in in Australia and there's the Champion Stakes so he doesn't have to go [to the Arc], said Aidan O’Brien.

“We were thinking of going back to a mile and a quarter. He could go to America, he could go to Hong Kong so there's a lot of options for him. He's also in the Caulfield Cup and the Cox Plate.”

Bought for 3.4million guineas from the Tattersalls October Yearling Sale, Mogul is the second Group I winner for blue hen Shastye, who has six winners, five of them stakes-winners .

Galileo’s third Group I winner was two year-old filly Shale, who won the Group I Moyglare Stud Stakes (7f) at the Curragh for Donnacha O’Briena and Ryan Moore.

Shale shas kept improving at every start and score a three-quarter length win her taking her overall record to three wins and a second from five starts.

“She was nearly first off the bridle but she really toughed it out for pressure, it was a very good performance. She has kept progressing the whole way. I imagine the Fillies Mile or the Boussac will be next, said Donnacha O'Brien.

A homebred for Coolmore, Shale is the first stakes-winner among four winners from Holy Roman Emperor’s Group I winning daughter Homecoming Queen, a three-quarter sister to European Horse of the Year Dylan Thomas.

Coolmore Australia have two sons of Galileo on their roster this spring in Churchill (IRE) and Adelaide (IRE).

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 1:03am
Addeybb just ran in the LR Doonside Cup at Ayr. Under the SWP conditions, he had to give 7 lbs to the field & appeared to be struggling a little two and a half furlongs out but as he showed in Australia, he is a gutsy horse. He responded to hard riding & within a furlong the race was his.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:27pm
No wonder he took him home and left Young Rascal here.LOL
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm
Whilst most of us were sleeping overnight a few smarties cleaned up on a hurdle race in Navan in Ireland. The horse Dreal Deal trained by a relative unknown JEP O’Brien was backed from $26 into $2.75. At its previous four starts over unsuitable distances it SP at 100/1, 250/1, 300/1 and 100/1.
It nearly fell at the first hurdle losing 10 lengths but slowly worked its way through the field to win by 8 lengths with its head on its chest.
Whoever that trainer is he knows how to place a horse.WinkWink
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:56pm
The O'Brien was the jockey (an amateur rider), the trainer was Ronan McNally whose horses over the past 12 months have had 57 starts for 7 wins
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:21am
The Gp1 Middle Park Stakes has been won by Supremacy (2c by Mehmas x Triggers Broom, by Arcano) defeating Lucky Vega & Minzaal.

In the past couple of months, I have been noticing a number of stakeswinners by Mehmas, a first season sire by Acclamation x Lucina, by Machiavellian. There were three of them near the top of the market in the Middle Park - Supremacy, Minzaal & Method. When I did some research on him, I was surprised to see how heavily he had been used. As at 25 Sep, he has had 87 runners 280 starts 33 winners of 49 races & 4 stakeswinners with earnings of £628,193. Undoubtedly, he gets very precocious youngsters.

Mehmas only raced as 2yo winning the Gp2 July Stakes, Gp2 Richmond Stakes & Gp1 placed in the Middle Park Stakes & the National Stakes.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:26am
..... and I just saw an Aidan O'Brien trained 2yo finish like a train to just get up & win the Gp2 Beresford Stakes over a mile at the Curragh.

High Definition (2c by Galileo x Palace, by Fastnet Rock). I'm sure he will shorten in next year's Derby markets.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:49am
From the Racing Post -

High Definition vaults to top of Derby betting after amazing Beresford victory

By David Baxter
Those who thought Aidan O'Brien would win a tenth consecutive Alan Smurfit Memorial Beresford Stakes, and 20th overall, with High Definition would have thought their luck was out with two furlongs out.

But the son of Galileo came from last to first to run down Monaasib, and in doing so made himself the new favourite for next season's Derby with most bookmakers.

Unibet were most impressed, going 7-1 (from 25) but he can be backed at double that price with BoyleSports and Sky Bet.

While High Definition's backers were able to celebrate an unlikely victory, those who had taken 1.01 in running on Monaasib were left cursing.

But High Definition had shown a knack for coming from off the pace when winning on his debut at the track, and he repeated the feat under Seamie Heffernan, and in doing so emulated older brother Innisfree, who won the race 12 months ago.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:13am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:41am
I notice he is from a half bred family - B3 (Perion mare)

High Definition is a full brother to the 2019 Beresford Stakes winner, Innisfree. Their dam, Palace, won the LR Cairn Rouge Stakes while the 3rd dam, Sonic Lady was a champion miler winning the Gp1 Irish 1000 Guineas, Gp1 Sussex Stakes, Gp1 Prix du Moulin de Longchamp, Gp1 Coronation Stakes & Gp2 & Gp3 stakes as well. The 5th dam, Lucasland, was an outstanding sprinter like her half-brother, So Blessed.

kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:37pm
Champions Day at Ascot tonight. Some great racing. Stayers sees Stradivarius vs Search for a song, Palace Pier looks too good in QE11, Champions Stakes sees magical vs Mishriff vs Lord North, Addeybb and Skalleti. I ntriguing race. I believe it is a battle between Mishriff and Skalleti.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:32am
Addeybb wins easily and proves the Sydney autumn form,
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:33am
Stradivarius ran 12th of 13 & was beaten 62 lengths in the Champions Stayers Cup.

What happened?  Is his career finished?
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:49am
Exactly red rancher,
And gives evidence that Verry ellegant is world class.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Foxseal Foxseal wrote:

Stradivarius ran 12th of 13 & was beaten 62 lengths in the Champions Stayers Cup.

What happened?  Is his career finished?

Frankie said afterwards that he thought the horse was ready but simply hated the ground.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:00pm
Didn't he run poorly in the Arc a couple of weeks ago in similar going?
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:07pm
Yes although the 2400m was too short for him.

Looking through his form I do not think he has ever won on a heavy track

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:38pm
It's why I left him out of my Arc selections which would've given me the 1st 4 (no, I don't do 1st 4s anyway!) had I not opted to give the race a miss LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:40pm
What an incredible achievement, given how ahrd it is for females to even get rides in the UK, let alone decent ones!

History making Doyle lands first Group 1

Hollie's Doyle sensational season hit a new high on Saturday as she rode the first Group 1 winner of her career on Glen Shiel, to go with a Long Distance Cup success aboard Trueshan.

No female jockey had ever ridden a winner at Qipco British Champions Day, but Doyle quickly snapped that statistic with a dominant success on Trueshan, before a first top-level win on Glen Shiel.

Trained by Archie Watson, who was also enjoying a first Group 1, Glen Shiel flew out of the stalls to lead, and just held off the late thrust of veteran Brando.

Doyle said: "It's not about me, it's about Archie Watson. He's campaigned this horse unbelievably.

"It's a dream come true, especially on this horse. Everyone in the yard adores him. My heart sunk on the line when Tom Eaves [Brando] joined me, I honestly thought I hadn't won."

Glen Shiel, much like Doyle, has made huge strides this year. At the start of the season the six-year-old was running in handicaps on the all-weather, but he has blossomed through the course of 2020.

Last time out Glen Shiel had finished runner-up to Dream Of Dreams in the Sprint Cup at Haydock, and he proved that effort was no fluke with a dramatic nose success.

Having made the running, Glen Shiel looked vulnerable late on, with Oxted laying down a strong challenge. But the winner dug deep to score at 16-1, with Brando just failing, having been sent off at a massive 80-1. Third went to One Master, who also finished off well.

Doyle, who recently broke her own record for the most winners for a female rider in a calendar year, secured her first win of the afternoon in much easier circumstances, as Trueshan pulled clear by seven and a half lengths in the Long Distance Cup, returning at 11-1.

Hot favourite Stradivarius proved bitterly disappointing, with the 2018 winner quickly in trouble turning for home, and the six-year-old finished well down the field under Frankie Dettori.

Dettori reported Stradivarius failed to handle the testing conditions.

Doyle said: "That was incredible. This is a proper horse, though I didn't realise he would be up to Group 2 level today. Alan King is some trainer.

"I had to stay out a bit wide early but managed to slot in and got a nice position upsides Stradivarius.

"The further I was going, the better. He went through the ground like a tractor, he loved it."

Second went to Search For A Song at 7-1, with Fujaira Prince taking third at 11-1.

But the race belonged to Doyle and Trueshan. The pair came to tackle Fujaira Prince with two furlongs left, and once in the clear quickly put the race to bed.

Betfair handed Trueshan an opening quote of 10-1 for next year's Ascot Gold Cup.

By David Baxter

horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 2:50pm
With Tom Marquand riding Addeybb to win the Champion Stakes they would have had a decent celebration last night you would think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12