Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sea Creatures and Tides/Currents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Creatures and Tides/Currents
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:31am
Do penguins etc, try to swim with currents, with tides?

I have always assumed it make sense to swim with such forces.

Penguins have to swim all day, before waiting for sunset, so they return to land to feed their babies.

Anyone know?
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:09am
it mustn't be easy swimming against the tide redemption, although some maybe unaware of it
by the way you answered your own question. If they return to the beach every day at sunset then they would encounter different tides each sunset
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:14am
Very good Marble you cheeky thing  LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:19am
It is no more difficult to swim against a tide than with it, unless you assess progress "over the ground", relative to some fixed point.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:32pm
This is what is confusing.
It would make sense that strong swimmers with stamina, would prefer to swim against currents, to beat off predators.
And some would rather swim with current, to catch prey.

I just cant workout who, what and why.
You would think all oceans species greatly factor in the currents, to make their choices.
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:44pm
If you go offshore in a boat, and there is no wind, the motor is turned off, but the GPS says you are travelling at 2 knots, that would be the speed of the current, relative to the sea bottom. If you jumped out of the boat, and tread water, you would not move relative to the boat.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:55pm
I am still waiting to find out the airspeed velocity of an unladen European or African swallow and what it is carrying a coconut.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 2:04pm
I knew a bloke who thought his speedboat got on the plane quicker, running downstream with the river flow, but upstream would struggle. If anything, it would have planed more readily going against the current, because the air resistance would have been lower. Speed through the water, versus speed over ground (SOG) confuses some.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:02pm
You fooled me Max ...    I always came through Sydney Heads on top of the swell and it seemed like 200 MPH.        Going out wasn't as comfortable for me.    Don't ask me why .      Anyone who drives through their garage door , shouldn't hold any licence.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Of course sea conditions create different circumstances, I think the bloke who thought his boat planed sooner running downstream, was fooled by the trees on the riverbank going past more quickly. I recall in the 1974 flood in the Brisbane River, a big tug was barely able to make headway upstream, it was under full steam, but you could have made a cup of tea and came back to have another look, and it seemed not to have advanced much upstream. Had he turned around and headed the other way, he'd have looked like a speedboat, from the point of view of an observer on the bank.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:14am
NEVER swim against the tide.

Across it if you must. then walk the 3 mile back   lol
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:09pm
Just thank God there are no currents in the swamp that Donald is draining.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:42pm
He's doing good in most areas.   Apart from Barley & beef.

No trouble getting a bed in aged care there.
 Post Reply Post Reply