Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Vow and Declare/Prince of Arran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 3:04am
News just in that Prince Of Arran has been retired 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 11:50am

'I'm going to miss him' - Fellowes emotional as Prince Of Arran is retired

Prince Of Arran, runner-up in the 2019 Melbourne Cup and third in Australia's greatest race in 2018 and 2020, has run his last race after finishing last of five in the Group 3 Unibet September Stakes at Kempton on Saturday.

A flagbearer for Newmarket trainer Charlie Fellowes, Prince Of Arran won six of his 49 races, including races in Dubai and Australia, amassing £2,042,180 in prize-money during a career that stretches back to 2015.

Fellowes had hoped to have one last crack at the Melbourne Cup in November with the Saeed bel Obaida-owned eight-year-old but after vets in Australia informed him Prince Of Arran would not be eligible to run in the race earlier this week, Fellowes has decided now is the time to send him into a happy retirement.

"I was delighted with that run and it was up to the standard he had run in the race in the last two years but we feel now is the time to call it a day," said an emotional Fellowes.

"He's going to be retired and Australia is not on the cards sadly. As it's been well documented, the restrictions getting over to Australia have been greatly increased this year and the vets in Australia have decided he is too high risk to take over to Australia and, with that off the cards, I just feel it's the best thing for him now.

"He's been a superstar for me and has taken me places I could only have dreamed of and I think now is the right time. We can retire him a sound horse and get him a lovely home. He will make someone very happy."

Fellowes has previously been critical of the extra veterinary hurdles which European-based or campaigned horses have been required to clear for the first time to travel to Australia this year but took a philosophical view of the decision made by the authorities in Australia.

"I think it was more his age," said Fellowes. "He's eight years old and has a lot of wear and tear which you'd expect from a horse his age.

"The vets called me on Tuesday and said there's nothing specific, but the Melbourne Cup has come under a huge amount of scrutiny recently and although I don't agree with the decision – I wouldn't have entered the horse and planned to run him if I thought there was a risk – I do understand they have a race to protect and at the moment it's under a huge amount of pressure. It's just one of those things."

As well as his exploits in the Melbourne Cup, Prince Of Arran won the Group 3 Lexus Stakes and Geelong Cup in Australia, along with a lucrative handicap at Meydan.

Fellowes added: "He's been a credit to the team and there are so many people to thank, his owners primarily for trusting me with this horse and allowing me to do really whatever I wanted to do with him, which has been amazing.

"That first win in Dubai was special and the win three days before the Melbourne Cup to get into the race and then to back up and finish third was one of the best days of my life. He just leaves with so many fond memories that I will cherish for the rest of my career. 

"It's a very sad day and I'm going to miss him a huge amount – he's a real character – but I'm delighted he's retiring a sound horse and he will have a fantastic retirement."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12