Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Domestic violence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:23pm
Bloody good point!!!!!

Since becoming a member of parliament, there's been one issue that my office has continued to be contacted on, and it's a disturbing one.
It's becoming increasingly common for animals to be used for coercive control or as bargaining chips in violent homes.
When an animal is registered in a violent offender’s name, it creates an enormous barrier to escaping family violence.
Too often violent offenders will threaten to hurt a family pet if an escape attempt is made.
That's why next week in parliament, I will bring a motion for debate to reform how animals are seen in the context of family violence.
One part of this is automatic guardianship transfer away from violent offenders to victim-survivors of family violence - so that an animal is not seen as the 'property' of a violent offender.
By fixing this system, we don't just protect our beloved family animals. We can remove another barrier to leaving too.
My conversations with the government on this have been really positive so far. If you'd like to add your support to this important reform, you can sign the petition I've just launched here: https://animaljusticepartyvictoria.good.do/.../signpetition/
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:36pm
What a ripper result, it passed ClapClapClap

BREAKING: Companion animals to be recognised as victims of family violence in Victoria!
My family violence and animals motion has PASSED parliament unanimously just now.
The government has made a commitment to ensure more robust protections for animals in situations of family violence.
We will also work on a system to ensure pets are removed from perpetrators, defaulting to the victim survivors of family violence, should they wish to leave with them.
This is a huge step towards removing one of the biggest barriers to women leaving a violent home.
I want to make a particular thanks to my female staff, some of whom are pictured here with me. We know that family violence disproportionately impacts women - and this powerhouse team of women has worked so hard on this win today.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:15pm
Great stuff GayClapClapClap

What a wonderful initiative 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324