Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

How many race tracks have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 6:40am
Ooh, sorry, I've been to Newbury too.

Alexandra Palace was in North London.  Actually in London, rather than on the outskirts.

There's a big transmitter there and the aforementioned Palace itself, where exhibitions are held, and sometimes things like darts tournaments. 

What I was most surprised about is that the supposed run off area goes downhill, so if you can't stop you end up at the bottom of Muswell Hill.  LOL

If you didn't know a racecourse used to be there, you wouldn't really know that there had been. 

Closed in 1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Park_Racecourse

TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 6:41am
And Windsor.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 1:37pm
Actually I will replace Trangie with Trundle as I had them mixed up. Was staying with a mate at Cowra many years ago and he was working on the bag with a bookie and we headed off to Trundle for the day. So I think that still makes 37 tracks. Should pass a New Year's eve resolution to visit at least one new track a year.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 2:24pm
I am planning/hoping to get to the Launceston Cup in Feb, so that will be a new one for me.Big smile
animals before people.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

And Windsor.

Love Windsor - excellent example of a classic figure of 8 track. Used to go there on Monday nights for a good night out and mostly to back Richard Hannon 2 year olds.

Saw Give The Slip win his first race there and thought I would stick fat when he came 2nd to Ethereal in the Melbourne Cup a number of years later
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I am planning/hoping to get to the Launceston Cup in Feb, so that will be a new one for me.Big smile

Been to a few Launceston Cups  and always a good day. Wasn't that many years ago and I think the Launceston and Hobart Cups were worth about $400k. Darren Weir had a great time slipping over to Tassie and taking home the money. Prizemoney has dropped a bit since then but still a good days racing.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 8:21am
Originally posted by lotto7 lotto7 wrote:

Been to a few Launceston Cups  and always a good day. Wasn't that many years ago and I think the Launceston and Hobart Cups were worth about $400k. Darren Weir had a great time slipping over to Tassie and taking home the money. Prizemoney has dropped a bit since then but still a good days racing.
Launceston Cup Day may be ok....however the average Sunday mtg is pretty bloody ordinary. Lucky to get 100 people there. One bookie...giving gross unders....2 TAB girls who take turns not being behind the counter....basically no catering....pies, stale sandwiches if I remember rightly. I do vividly recall walking out of the joint vowing never to return !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Originally posted by lotto7 lotto7 wrote:

Launceston Cup Day may be ok....however the average Sunday mtg is pretty bloody ordinary. Lucky to get 100 people there. One bookie...giving gross unders....2 TAB girls who take turns not being behind the counter....basically no catering....pies, stale sandwiches if I remember rightly. I do vividly recall walking out of the joint vowing never to return !

when was that ,  1x1 ?  I know last Launceston Cup day there were approx 16 thousand there .   Which is better than a lot of Sydney meetings these days LOL
animals before people.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 8:09pm
About 18mths back Acacia....though as I said it was just a normal Sunday mtg....not the Cup meeting
Refer ALP Election Promises
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 8:40pm
ACTUALLY BEEN TO

Ascot...Belmont...Helena Vale(gone)....York....Beverley...Northam....Toodyay....Esperance...Carnarvon....Bunbury...Pinjarra....

Moonee Valley

Randwick....Rosehill...Canterbury....Hawkesbury....Wyong....Gosford....Newcastle...Nowra...Kembla 
 Grange

Singapore (Bukit Timah)

Adelaide...the track with the straight six (gone)...it's hard to remember anything you do in SA

Sandown UK (saw Brigadier Gerard win by half the straight,ridden by Joe Mercer) WINDSOR (UK)

***The most magnificent track,by view,was looking down at the Rio de Janeiro track from CHRIST THE REDEEMER. Pure beauty. Desperately wanted to go to the races but my Chinese relatives begged me not to go...not a safe place when SOLO.

RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Sworn Revenge Sworn Revenge wrote:

Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

And Windsor.

Love Windsor - excellent example of a classic figure of 8 track. Used to go there on Monday nights for a good night out and mostly to back Richard Hannon 2 year olds.

Saw Give The Slip win his first race there and thought I would stick fat when he came 2nd to Ethereal in the Melbourne Cup a number of years later

Windsor... a bum on a bus,overcoat,unshaved and carrying a blow-torch told me to back SKYROY BEN,trained by Scobie Breasley. My parents made fun of me and my new friend.

SB won..think around 20/1...no money on.

Windsor 1972.....first race I saw there,the horses approached the home-turn(I thought) and I was bamboozled...they ran away from that turn...the famous FIGURE 8 you alluded to.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 12:08am
Victoria: Casterton.Coleraine. Hamilton. Warrnambool. Camperdown. Terang. Geelong. Werribee. Ararat,Stawell.Kyneton.Bendigo.Ballarat.Seymour, Wangaratta. Kilmore.Moe. Mornington. Warracknabeal.Swan Hill.Traralgon.Sale. Bairnsdale. Stony Creek.Flemington.MooneeValley. Caulfield. Sandown.Wodonga Echuca.Colac
NSW. Randwick. Rosehill.Warwick Farm.Canterbury. Kembla Grange. Murwillumbah. Grafton, Coffs Harbour. Albury, WaggaWagga.Corowa
SA. Cheltenham.Morphettville. Gawler.Mt Gambier.Narracorte.
WA. Ascot,Broome
Qld. Eagle Farm, Cairns.Albion Park.Doomben
International. Ascot.Longacres. Shatin. Hollywood Park.Longchamps.Aquaduct.
Happy Valley.Singapore
All those tracks in over 50 years of punting.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:43am
I forgot Gosford, Esk & Gold Coast
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:11am
Just reading this thread from the start. Some great Raceday memories come flooding back. One track that has not been mentioned is Broken Hill. Went to a Silver City cup meeting about ten years ago. 40 degrees in the shade with the people I was with leaving early.
One of my best punting days ever. Left drunk, sunstroke, and sunburnt, but with a lasting memory of a true outback meeting.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Rhino Rhino wrote:

Just reading this thread from the start. Some great Raceday memories come flooding back. One track that has not been mentioned is Broken Hill. Went to a Silver City cup meeting about ten years ago. 40 degrees in the shade with the people I was with leaving early.
One of my best punting days ever. Left drunk, sunstroke, and sunburnt, but with a lasting memory of a true outback meeting.

Rhino, did anyone put that 40 degrees heat down to global warming or was it just normal back then ? 
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 8:23pm

Nah, don't think it was climate change either.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

I forgot Gosford, Esk & Gold Coast

How could I forget Yarra Glen and Tatura, where I had a run in with the police , who believed I was SPing, although I was only relaying odds on my phone through to a mate in Sydney ,who was betting into “blind” tote polls on the NSW TAB.Gee we got some overs in those days
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:32pm
Bump.

Miss-spent youth.

Victoria: Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Sandown, Ararat, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Benalla, Bendigo, Cranbourne, Echuca, Geelong, Tatura, Great Western, Kilmore, Kyneton, Mornington, Pakenham, Sale, Seymour, Stoney Creek, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Warrnambool, Werribee, Wodonga, Yarra Glen.

NSW: Randwick, Rosehill, Warwick Park, Albury, Berrigan, Cowra, Corowa, Forbes, Goulburn, Gundagai, Kembla, Holbrook, Mudgee, Narrandera, Orange, Orange, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Tumut, Wagga.

South Australia: Cheltenham, Morphettville, Hawker.

Western Australia: Ascot

Still a virgin in Qld and Tassie.

Might have missed a couple.

Sadly very few of us will have added to our tally of race tracks visited over the last three months.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 11:14pm
This isolation is getting boring.  There must be some more out there with some good tracks and stories to go with them.  Carioca ??
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 11:30pm
I visited the Gympie races back in the early 80's I think, very ramshackle place. I also recall visiting the Gatton races, in that period, and the betting "ring" wasn't paved, and the paspalum grass between the bookie's stands was up to your knees. Incredible.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 11:36pm
Hello,
not much happening in "horse racing" in my Homecountry.
So i use the occasion to list the Racetracks I have been during the last 30 years.
Germany: Mannheim (you can compare with a " bush track", small, but the atmosphere is great), Baden-Baden (one of your best Race tracks, 2 meetings each season), Hamburg (German Derby Track, only used once every year, for about one week), Hoppegarten (at the ouskirts of Berlin, east of your Capital, biggest track in Germany), Harzburg (Sommer meeting with several "Jump Races", with a special one, where horses have to swim through a pond), Frankfurt (sadly closed down), Munich, Bremen, Hannover, Cologne (several Group races each season)

England: Sandown Park, Ascot
US: Louisville (Breeder Cup Day)
AUS: Randwick  (saw Winx racing and winning)

best regards, Ticino

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12