Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NSW Bushfires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 6:52pm
Live in Sydney Gay - no bush-fires with a few 100km from here. Been piddling down for 2 days. I think it would be fair to say conditions have eased in most states / areas. All the talk now is about flooding & cyclones. However, if there are areas that still have issues with bush fires i hope is gets sorted ASAP.
Refer ALP Election Promises
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:53pm
We are still in the worst of usual Summers so Fires may not be over yet.
Early Summer ,hopefully sees us into autumn earlier too.

Qld drenching, moving South is on que ,     They were asleep in recent years and failed to follow the script .

That's that wicked Mother Nature re stocking and preparing for a future "Burnout" .

Give some thought to where we settle , The pretty bush land among the Gum Trees, inevitably shows it doesn't really like Humans.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:02pm
There are still almost 40 fires still burning .
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:22am
This is Australia - there are always fires burning somewhere ... even when we are flooded!Smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:53am
Quote Dorothea MacKellar hey ?  "Droughts and flooding rains "
Here , one of her other lines comes to mind.
"Watch after many days, the filmy veil of greeness that thickens as we gaze ". 
2 weeks ago the yard and paddocks were like a slab of brown marble.  Today its so beautiful and green that it will need mowing when the rain stops, which I hope isnt happening soon.
How is everyone else going with the rain ?
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Quote Dorothea MacKellar hey ?  "Droughts and flooding rains "
Here , one of her other lines comes to mind.
"Watch after many days, the filmy veil of greeness that thickens as we gaze ". 
2 weeks ago the yard and paddocks were like a slab of brown marble.  Today its so beautiful and green that it will need mowing when the rain stops, which I hope isnt happening soon.
How is everyone else going with the rain ?

We are all experiencing a disaster of one kind or another AA. Some getting more than their share .
Our Respected Royal , has been hit with the bush fires , Now the Floods ,
Donald Trump has run over his head with his Wagon ,    Scomo is managing great ,at the wheel ,   Tony Abbott has been promoted in the Fire Brigade Industry .      . It never ends for some.
You have to post More AA , The medical costs for the ailing TBV is rising.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:48pm
My son was an evacuee from Chipping Norton yesterday - not so much because of the flooding, but the new duplex they are renting had water coming in down the inside of the walls and leaking out of the electricity sockets! 

Plenty of localised flooding nearby along the Georges River - we had "unprecedented" rainfall yesterday ... well unprecedented for the last 20 years anyway - seen worse.

... and yes, the grass is green and long! Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:34pm
We’re stranded on our side of the Hawkesbury at the moment. Both bridges under water and apparently the new expensive one at Windsor, not even opened yet, also went under. I went to Coles at North Richmond today and the shelves were bare. Not even any milk! People must have been stockpiling I suppose. But it’s only a small flood for the Hawkesbury . Windsor itself is still dry. Driving around it’s so good to see everything green again and all the dams full. It’s a pretty amazing country we live in!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 12:20am
Beautiful part of the world Baguette .     Some years ago the telegraph poles would have been submerged in that Windsor Pitt Town area .

I spent many years up the road at Putty .   had a Property there .

Until my Wife ran away with my best friend .

Shxt I miss him.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 2:19pm
The Jolly Frog pub is the benchmark for Windsor floods . A very old pub that’s been out of action for years now unfortunately. They used to have the high water marks marked on the wall of the bar from the various floods over the years. It’s a two storey building and they had the top floor fitted out so that they could take the kegs up there if the ground floor was flooded . You’d row to it and climb in through the window! Very determined drinkers in Windsor.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm
Rivers have been up here with SES pulling some young idiot out , at risk to themselves.   At least all the creeks and rivers are getting a good flsuhing and the dam is getting a decent flow in.  We had a super rain storm yesterday arvo.  Only one huge lightning crack but it flogged down for about 20 mins. 
I remember seeing floods down your way Baguette and it was water from  McGraths Hill almost to the Windsor roundabout , then all out across the flats from the bridge to that place ( who,s name escapes me ) where the butterfly farm is. That area is a bit like the Maitland/Hinton/Raymond Terrace area.  Always the first to go under.  And the last to drain off.
animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:36pm
It’s all a flood plain AA . Very fertile etc but it will go under. Anyway I just heard Richmond Bridge is now open again. They haven’t had time to replace the rails on the footpath across it so it’s closed to foot traffic . I reckon it’s odds on some idiot will go to have a sticky beak and fall in! Anything like this seems to bring out the genetically challenged.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

It’s all a flood plain AA . Very fertile etc but it will go under. Anyway I just heard Richmond Bridge is now open again. They haven’t had time to replace the rails on the footpath across it so it’s closed to foot traffic . I reckon it’s odds on some idiot will go to have a sticky beak and fall in! Anything like this seems to bring out the genetically challenged.

I like your posts Baguette ...     Some reality in you.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
Yes, it does Baguette.  I am always amazed at the amount of people who should know better, who drive into flood waters and then have to be rescued, all the while authorities begging people not to.
And the idiot trying to pull in a kyak, waded into flood waters, and got washed away and wedged between tree roots, all the while debris roaring along,  and SES having to go in and pull him out.
Sticky beaks and idiots.  Should not be allowed to breed.
A bit like those ones who climb over fences with signs on them, just to get closer to the cliff edge for a better photo, and fall off, and then others look to blame the council or anyone else they can think of.
animals before people.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Baguette, I’m amazed the bridges have gone under. Last time it happened it seemed to rain for weeks prior
It was basically overnight this time
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 9:09pm
We’d had a bit of rain before the huge rain event on the weekend. Enough to soak the ground and that meant the 200+ mil in two days ran straight off into the river. It did come up quick though . Lots of people were stranded on the wrong side of the river on Sunday when the bridge closed .
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:24am
yes, we had friends get stranded. They hadn’t listen or seen the news🤭

Traffic coming from the west on Sunday at the ridge was horrific. It went back to Kurmond from what I saw
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
You should see the traffic this morning! Windsor Bridge is still out of action and everyone’s trying to cross at Richmond. Bells line of road is stationary , The Terrace banked up to the lookout . It’s a mess.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:32am

Israel & NSW sign 'historic' water agreement

The NSW government has signed a memorandum of cooperation with Israel, allowing the country to “support water management programs, help inform policies and secure the state’s water future”.

The agreement is expected to thrust Israeli ideas and technological innovation to the forefront of efforts to save New South Wales from severe drought, but many critics have raised concerns over the moves.

INTERNATIONAL WATER AGREEMENT

The New South Wales government is stepping up collaboration with Israel on water management, signing what it dubbed a “historic” agreement with the regime late last year.

The agreement comes as the situation in drought-stricken NSW regional towns continues to worsen following recent Australian bushfires across the east coast.

NSW Water Minister Melinda Pavey, and Israeli Energy Minister Dr. Yuval Steinitz, signed a memorandum on water cooperation in Jerusalem late November — as the fires unfolded.

In 2013, Steinitz was Strategy and Intelligence Minister of Israel and oversaw the activities of the secret service initiatives and the Atomic Energy Commission.

During her trip, Pavey visited Yehuda to meet the CEO of TaKaDu, an Israeli company that has contracts with Sydney Water and Victoria’s Central Highlands Water.

The new agreement builds on previous NSW-Israel initiatives. In September 2017, NSW launched its Research and Development Tech Innovation Program with Israel to help companies partner with Israeli counterparts in cyber security, water management and agri-technology. 

This followed on from the MoU for Bilateral Cooperation in R&D and Technology Innovation signed in April 2016 by both respective governments.

According to Pavey, NSW has a lot to learn from Israel, which she described as “the world leader” in water security. As we have explored, however, a large factor involved in NSW water worries stem from prioritisation of large agribusiness and mining over communities — not a lack of water.

Australia’s interest in encouraging Israeli expertise in water preservation and the supply of safe drinking water ignores potential human rights issues that may arise.

Israel, who is looking to influence Australia’s water habits with this deal, has used control over water resources to continue its war on Palestinians, whose land it has occupied since 1948.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Israel has been internationally condemned for its deliberate policy of depriving millions of Palestinians access to regular clean water through the theft of water resources and destruction of wells and pipes in Palestinians communities.

A World Health Organisation (WHO) report in March of 2019 says that denial of clean water to Gaza will soon make that densely populated strip of land uninhabitable. They also insists that 97 per cent of water pumped from Gaza’s aquifer fails to meet minimum standards of quality.

Israel controls nearly 80% of the water in the Palestinian territory of the West Bank, ensuring that Palestinians — who consume four times less water than Israeli settlers in the West Bank — are forced to buy back water from Israel at exorbitant prices.

Israel has also blocked almost all Palestinian attempts to build wells to extract water from the main aquifer below the West Bank and destroyed numerous existing wells critical to agriculture.

OXFAM concludes that less than four per cent of fresh water in Gaza is drinkable. The US-based RAND Corporation says that one fourth of diseases in the besieged Gaza strip are water borne and that water is frequently unavailable at Al Shifa, the largest hospital in Gaza.

In spite of this, NSW Water Minister Pavey praised Israel for “virtually drought-proofed its cities and continuing to provide farmers with water”.

“In NSW, we’re improving water security and efficiency, and this ongoing relationship with Israel will provide us with invaluable insights into how we can improve this.”   

So far, Israel have already sent ‘water experts’ to Orange, where stormwater harvesting systems received international appraisal they seek to learn from Australia’s water management and share their own ‘drought measures’. 

What are they planning? Well, the MOU doesn’t specify what form cooperation will take, but reports suggest that it is expected to start with ‘experts’ from the two states meeting. Israeli water technology is expected to become more common in Australia as a result. 

Israel have said their ministry outlined three main areas in which water management can provide ideas for Australia: reuse of water, making desalination commonplace and reducing waste of water.

https://tottnews.com/2020/02/11/israel-and-nsw-sign-water-agreement/?fbclid=IwAR13m1JxFNLNhftSTUI93AqALmfXLp_FrEYbrKCWO2Pz2vbiASlbMX3QAjs

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:28pm
Our wonderful Poms must have been selling off a lot of water since 1970.

If you believe the science of that time , Every Pom has been bailing out the sinking boat since .   Making a fortune.
   AND STILL AFLOAT
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 7:49pm
Building on a slope increases the consequences of a fire, because fire accelerates exponentially when moving up or down a hill.

The speed will double the “flat ground rate of spread” for every 10 degrees of slope, he explained. So, if your home is on a 20 degree slope, the fire will be moving at 20 km an hour – that’s twice as fast as the average person can run.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 10:38pm
Jesus Tlaz - half of Sydney is underwater & you want to start banging on about bushfires 🤫
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:38am
 I thought it was a bit weird, too.

I think a few of the people whose properties are going under...again...wish they'd built on a hill.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:50am
Struck me as a bit odd too. LOL  Evacuating people from floods, roads under, bridges closed, and we get a story about bushfireConfused
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 9:40am
Now is the time to engage in mitigation, not after the fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314