Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

David Hains Trailblazer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Hains Trailblazer
    Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 9:09am
David Hains achieved what few people managed to do successfully...breed the best to the best internationally.  He was the forerunner of the shuttlers we now have. He blazed a breeding trail in a way unheard of in Australia at the time, the 1980's.  The queue to get to Secretariat extended across both the Pacific and Indian Oceans....so too did the then zeros on the stud fee for the time: Kingston Rule was the result.  King of Roses, a magnicicently bred "home-bred", a great type and possessed of great speed and power, did not get commercial opportunities because David Hains chose to stand him privately.  If anyone looks at the stud book and checks out the mares sent by David Hains to King of Roses early on, it will make their eyes pop.  David Hains did what the Aga Khan does..he had the financial resources to breed a dynasty...good luck to him. He was a great forward-thinker in Australian breeding and backed up his passion and thinking with financing that few could dream of.  You cannot take it with you, so Mr.Hains has created an impression on breeding that so many would like to emulate.  I hope to see his racing colors for some time.
Ninski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:02pm
Interesting. I remember reading a lot about David Hains in the 70s, if it weren't for him we wouldn't have had Kingston Town.
I hadn't heard of King of Roses. Which horses of note have had him in their pedigree? Who did he sire?
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:45pm

By Fairy King, grand-dam Kingston Rose.  Few runners only as the horse stood privately.  Now standing commercially but proving not to be popular because he does not have the score on the board as a sire.  David Hains shuttled MARES...very expensive business. At least with shuttling stallions you may get 100 or so progeny...a broodmare just one!!!

Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:06pm
I am sure that David Hains would acknowledge the contribution that the late Norman Von Nida made to his bloodstock enterprises.
wallinga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 11:48pm
he's had forty runners for 20 winners and three stakes winners Rose Ceremony, Oval Affair and Queen's Way plus the stakes placed Amerryking
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 4:47am
and David's daughter continues the tradition 
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 2:57am

Have you ever read Graeme Kelly's book The King: The Story of a Champion, Progold? It was written with the cooperation and assistance of Mr and Mrs Hains, and acknowledges in detail Von Nida's contribution.  It is astounding to read such widely different opinions on the same topics in this forum.  I remember from last year someone asking about sending mares to King of Roses and the experts wading in, KoR is not commercial etc etc.  I laughed at the last sale when the KoRs were bringing good money and wondered if anyone would bring that thread up?  There was also something in that slanging match about David Hains being ahead of his time in terms of breeding and that created a furore too.  Thanks for bringing this up Adolphus, good to see different aspects of the same subject.

shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:34am
just about any racing book you pick up that talks about 70s and 80s racing mentions him.
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 6:26am

Two of his stakes winners have interesting pedigrees, did he breed anymore on this pattern ?

bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 6:28am
Dont worry i got off my but and looked myself :)

5 mares by kingston rule that i can see for 2 stakes winners.
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 9:38pm

David Hains has bred and raced more than 35 individual Group 1 winners, brad.  I don't keep a list Big smile but Kingston Rule sired Kensington Palace, VRC Wakeful Stakes (G2) and Oaks winner.  Kingston Rule's mother, Rose of Kingston (Claude), won 3 G1s, the VRC Oaks, AJC Derby and Champagne Stakes.  Her Bletchingly 1/2 sister Spirit of Kingston also won 3 G1s, the VRC Oaks, the Rosehill Guineas and the Canterbury Guineas.  There's bound to be someone in here with a better idea but I thought that the Hains' family have won every G1 in Australia with their home breds?  I may be wrong and its London to a brick that someone will come charging in with great glee to point out my error.

wallinga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 1:28am
No slippers that I know of although Reganza, Rose of Kingston and Coup De Grace were G1 winning two year olds. They are outstanding and now kingston acacia is winning the odd one in England as well.
green grass View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green grass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 7:06am
must admit to a personal interest but am disappointed that King of roses has gone to NZ.Didnt have the support here but it is typically ironic that some of this stallions nice yearlings have sold well in last couple of months[and gone to good homes]...I hope they rise to the occasion and maybe drag him back?Kingston Acacia - a fairly modestly Northern Hemisphere bred bred filly -was sent to uk in utero has brained "em in last @ starts Lingfield/Warwick....keep it coming I say! David Hains is a fine role model and an enthusiast so nothing is out of the question is the luck turns around!!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 7:17am
In reality his yearlings at the Premier and Autumn averaged 15.6k this year on an advertised 2007 service fee of $12.5k.

Add the 15k to to get a yearling into a sale and you'll see fee paying customers would have done there money cold.

And the 9 sold at the just completed weanling sale averaged 3.9k on a similar service fee.

Nice stallion? Yes.

Commercial?  Hardly think so.
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:18am

Green grass, I am sitting here singing that old Joni Mitchell song "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone ... dum de dum de dum" ...  Good to hear that a KoR daughter is flying the flag in the UK Clap Her owner would be somewhat mollified, I remember him regaling me with horror stories at what was involved with his first foray into racing a horse au seul Wink

Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:01pm
Doesn't David Hains own King of Roses Green Grass?
I see his service fee is about A$2500 in NZ and that last year he was A$8800 in Australia. Maybe if he had been at the NZ fee for the last few years he may have been better patronized in Australia and could have built his reputatation from a low value service fee with many more runners adding to his statistics.
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
nod View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:00am
I see he has joined NZs most talked about stallion -Painted Black.
I think I will be sending a mare.....can someone update his stats for me? runners/winners/ sw/sp --thanks
N Z -Land of the wrong white crowd.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Dahlia Dahlia wrote:

David Hains has bred and raced more than 35 individual Group 1 winners, brad.  I don't keep a list Big smile but Kingston Rule sired Kensington Palace, VRC Wakeful Stakes (G2) and Oaks winner.  Kingston Rule's mother, Rose of Kingston (Claude), won 3 G1s, the VRC Oaks, AJC Derby and Champagne Stakes.  Her Bletchingly 1/2 sister Spirit of Kingston also won 3 G1s, the VRC Oaks, the Rosehill Guineas and the Canterbury Guineas.  There's bound to be someone in here with a better idea but I thought that the Hains' family have won every G1 in Australia with their home breds?  I may be wrong and its London to a brick that someone will come charging in with great glee to point out my error.

what a pity kingston rule was not better utilized, considering (if one can believe) the lament by many on this forum of the dearth of decent staying blood in australia

secretariat, kr's daddy, needs no intro, and i think he is recorded as having the largest heart ever documented in a tb horse, he is better known for his daughters, and kingston  rule was one of but a handful of males including general assembly and risen star  that were by secretariat and made even the faintest dint on tb's worldwide
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Robbie View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:38am

LIST OF KINGSTON PARK STUD GROUP AND LISTED WINNERS AND PLACED HORSES
From 1972 - February 2002.

kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:43am

NZTM Release 11 May 2010

Progressive South Island farm Greenacres Stud has added further variety to the stallion menu this year with the addition of the well-bred King Of Roses.

He will join stakes producer Painted Black, O'Reilly's brother Kingmaker and Ruby's Jester on the roster for 2010.

"We're trying to offer our clientele value for their service fees and something a bit different as well," studmaster Angelique Hyde said.

"Breeders have the option then of a sprinter, miler or a distance horse so there's something to offer everyone."

King Of Roses is by champion sire Fairy King, a brother to the legendary Sadler's Wells, out of Stellar Spirit who is a half-sister to the Gr 1 VRC Derby winner Portland Player.

He hails from an outstanding female family with his grand-dam the triple Gr 1 winner Spirit Of Kingston (VRC Oaks, Canterbury Guineas, Rosehill Guineas).

She is in turn a half-sister to the former crack filly Rose Of Kingston whose top-level victories included the AJC Derby, VRC and Australasian Oaks.

Her racing exploits earned her an Australian Horse of the Year title and at stud she left the Gr 1 Melbourne Cup winner Kingston Rule.

His best representative to date has been the Gr 3 Thoroughbred Breeders' Stakes winner Oval Affair

King Of Roses gave every indication he would add to the family's roll of honour on the track before a fractured sesamoid pre-maturely ended his career.

He raced just four times for a win and two placings and significantly his runaway maiden success came at the expense of the subsequent dual Cox Plate winner Fields Of Omagh.

King Of Roses was initially retired to stud in a private capacity in 2001 before his transfer as a commercial proposition to Independent Stallions in Victoria in 2007.

His move to Victoria resulted in much increased demand and consecutive books of 76 and 70 mares.

King Of Roses' stock were also keenly sought after at the recent Inglis Sale in Melbourne where, in a subdued market, two of his fillies sold for $A35,000 and another made $A31,000.

His best representative to date has been the Gr 3 Thoroughbred Breeders' Stakes winner Oval Affair while his daughter Rose Ceremony also won the Flemington feature.

Further afield, Sunshine Sure Win was the dual stakes winner of the Macau Derby and Guineas.

King Of Roses was secured by Greenacres through the assistance of the Christchurch-based bloodstock agent Rod Fulton.

"We had been scouting around for a new horse and put out some feelers," Hyde said.

"King Of Roses became available and with his pedigree and record we though he would be ideal.

"He's a lovely, big horse with plenty of strength and we think he'll have plenty of appeal to breeders."

King Of Roses will stand his first season at a fee of $3000 + GST with a live foal guarantee.

Greenacres Stud is a 300-acre property on the northern edge of Amberley and half an-hour from Christchurch Airport
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:52am
King of Roses Stud Record:

green grass View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green grass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:48am

Green grass, I am sitting here singing that old Joni Mitchell song "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone ... dum de dum de dum" ...  Good to hear that a KoR daughter is flying the flag in the UK Clap Her owner would be somewhat mollified, I remember him regaling me with horror stories at what was involved with his first foray into racing a horse au seul Wink

Dahlia Love the walk down memory lane-am still personally stuck on Alannis Morrisette and Ironic.
I m hoping that he WILL get a bit of a kick up with a progressive stud in NZ[and yes spearmint David Hains still owns him].The problem [so often the case] is that he simply didnt get enough horses to the track in the past @ years [which should have represented his best opportunity They just didnt get to the track for one reason or another..] .With hope in my heart i bred a number of mares to him in the past 3 years [oldest yearlings & a few really nice ones...] and bought a couple of Kingston Rule mares specifically to go to him.They are gonna be a bit lonely-at least unless and until there is an upswing and I can send them over! Hope springs eternal and wouldnt it be a classic if the aptly named UK rep ["Kingston Acacia'] can fly the international flag- even a bit? Be still my beating heart....

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:20am
Did Mr Hains start our love affair with the Black Caviar family via Love Song ? 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:38am
Charlotte King
Kingston Reform
Barbara David
Domesday Brooke
Major Bargain

reductio ad absurdum
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Did Mr Hains start our love affair with the Black Caviar family via Love Song ? 

Yes he did, she left some beautiful daughters and the rest is history.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:22am
I read that David Hains passed away over the weekend aged 92.

Whilst he hasn’t been active in thoroughbreds for the last 20 years or so, his yellow colours with red striped sleeves were iconic during the 1980’s & 1990’s.  The mighty Kingston Town is obviously the stand out but as an owner had 35 G1 wins.  And that’s as an outright owner, not a % syndicate.

Unlike the modern day leviathan owners who just open the cheque books to buy their way to success, David actually put the effort into pedigree analysis and breeding his own racing stock.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:30am
Thanks LH.  Almost one of a kind.

His daughter Kathy (Cathy?) is still in the business via Burnewang Pastoral which breeds for the Asian market and the local weanling sales.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:41am
Not sure if  Cathy still checks in here , but if you do Cathy all the best in this time of loss , PS thanks for the tour of Burnewang all those years ago 🙏.
 Post Reply Post Reply