Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know-TYE ANGLAND

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know-TYE ANGLAND
    Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:38am
This week I have been fortunate enough to catch up with one of Australias great up and coming jockeys TYE ANGLAND. I found him to be a really great bloke and I am sure everyone at Thoroughbred Village wished him great success this season on Black Piranha and for many seasons to come. 
This is what he had to say:-  

Q. Where were you born, where did you grow up and where do you live now?
I was born at Wagga Wagga Base Hospital, grew up between Wagga Wagga and Wanterbadgery. Now resided in Hawkesbury

Q. What did you want to be when you were a young fella?
 Professional Bull Rider

Q. How did you get into the racing Industry?
 I used to play Polocrosse for NSW when a mates dad suggested I give race riding a go. He sent me to his brother (Garry Frazer) in Sydney and haven't looked back

Q. Who has been the biggest influence on your career to date?
 Grant Buckley- he has been a huge support throughout my career, especially when I first started off

Q. You rode your 1st Group One winner earlier this year in the Stradbroke Hcp onboard 'Black Piranha' trained by Con Karakatsanis. The 3 lead up races all resulted in 2nd place finishes (George Ryder,Doncaster,Doomben 10,000). Was the pressure on you going into the race, how did you feel during the race and what was it like when you cracked it for such a big win?
 I did feel the pressure going into the race, especially being the favourite but I just tried to put that behind me and treat it like any other race I've ridden in before. But once I went past the post first, it was a massive relief that I'd finally broken that mark.

Q. 'Black Piranha' has just returned to racing after 2 good barrier trials (2nd in both) and finished 2nd first up in the Cameron Hcp. Has he come back better this prep and do you think he will head to the Cox Plate as the main goal this season?
I think he has definitely come back bigger and better this prep,
cox plate= grand final

Q. What other horse should we be keeping an eye on this season and why?
Champagne Dynamite of Gerald Ryan's- Young, up and coming 2 year old- trialled really well this week.
Q. Who is the best jockey you have ridden against and why?
 Corey Brown- Excellent technique, great style, very well balanced and can judge a race perfectly.

Q. You recently won 4 consecutive races at Grafton which included the Grafton Guineas, how much of a thrill was it do that?
 It was a big thrill, all 4 winners were for Tim Martin, who is an excellent supported of mine.

Q. Your a Brisbane Broncos fan. Will they win the Grand Final this year? Who is your favourite Broncos player from any season?
 That woud be great, fingers crossed. It would have to be Darren Lockyer

Q. If you could see any sporting evnt live, which would it be and why?
 PBR (Professional Bull Riding) in America.

Q. You are having a BBQ with a few beers on a sunday afternoon . Which 3 famous people get an invite?
 - Frankie Detorri
 - Darren Lockyer
 - Ty Murray

Now for a few quick ones  

Con Karakatsanis- Carrots & Bananas
Fav food- A really good steak
Prince Arthur- My first listed winner at Rosehill Gardens
Fav racetrack- Rosehill Gardens
Best Horse seen- Makybe Diva
Nairobi- What the? (Ha Ha got you! You have ridden Nairobi 11 times for 10 wins!) 
What I'd do with my last $50- Wine & Dine
Fav holiday destination- Anywhere sunny
If I won $1million- Help my family out
Fav movie- The Hangover
Best advice given- The steeper the mountain, the harder the climb. Better the view from the finishing line

Cheers Michael,
Tye Angland.

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
stagg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:43am
good stuff. good rider tye.

BUT

if it's the Nairobi that was in sydney and now in perth it has only won 8 races and tye's ridden it 3 times for 2 wins and a second.
jonnybegood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:23am
Nice one KM..

stagg ... i think KM may have checked up Tye's record on RAS which states the 11 rides 10 wins

obviously an error on their part , your correct
Be good , be good, be good jonny
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 7:45am
Bugger, thanks guys! No wonder he didn't know what I was on about with the Nairobi question!!  I better double check all my facts in future.

We'll all have to keep an eye on Champagne Dynamite now! I love the name too.
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 7:49am
definitely a rider to follow, good to see he got his first group 1 and no doubt more to come.

"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 10:20am
just watched the barrier trial of that champagne dynamite that tye rode and you have to be impressed. good looking filly and seemed to build up in speed and sprint away. nice a trial as you would see and a defintie one to watch

the other i liked from the trials was a stratum named "epic" looked a racehorse before and during the race
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 4:22pm
Good stuff Mick.  Is Tye the dude that his brothers are professional bull riders?
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:12pm
Also questions, she ran half a second quicker than anything else at the trials on Monday.

Tommo, you are right. His brothers are professional bull riders.

Thanks so much Mick, great interview. I've always liked Tye Angland as a jockey, great to see some of the man away from the racetrack.
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:04pm
He aso had a stint in NZ a couple of years ago.  Very good rider.

Hey Andy hows the dust in Sydney?
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 6:58pm
Mate, it is unbelievable. I woke up this morning - and I thought that something devastating had happened overnight, it looks like a scene out of Armageddon or Independence Day (after the aliens destroy the cities).

Is there any way that Canterbury could be abandoned today? Surely it could be a health hazard for the horses...?
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 7:05pm
The photos are impressive.  If it doesn't clear you would think that some horses would struggle a bit with their breathing
reldas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reldas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:29am
Another great one KangaThumbs Up
Success demands singleness of purpose
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:35am
Great read Kanga! I've been a big fan of Tye Angland for a long time and I think he has a very bright future. Good prospects this spring, too. Good luck!
Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
VaDiM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaDiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 1:02am
Great stuff Mich but can't wish Tye all the best in the Cox Plate , hopefully he can run 2nd :)
R.I.P Whobegotyou my little mate
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 11:12am
By noting the Cox Plate is his grand final, is Tye giving us a hint for the weekend?
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 11:13am
Great work Kanga Thumbs Up
Mayor
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 7:03pm
I'll be having a few dollars on Black Pirahna this weekend.

And might have a to do a box quinella with Mentality and Vision&Power seeing as we had a chat with Jay and Joe recently
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 5:50pm
Some jockeys are just absolute dimwits.

Clearly he did not want to go to the fence just than at Rosehill but he had nowhere else to go on Press Report. He decided to go there when the race was all over and she made up heaps of ground.

I have always said Jockeys are necessary evil.

I wish science was looking for an alternative to jockeys.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:56pm
Maybe this should be brought up, like the Pumper thread, since we now know the terrible news about Tye,s condition ? 
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:13pm
And the grubs on social media wishing misery on the poor bloke after his injuries should get run over slowly by a steam roller
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:49am
Pleased I dont do that sort of media then.  Dont need to read that stuff.  What horrible people they must be.  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:28pm
Did others see that great pic taken this weekend at Widden, with Tye and Trapeze Artist ?   Almost as if the horse really new Tye was in need of his love. 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 11:00pm
Interesting to have an update read on Tye ...   Terrible set back for himself and Family but he has got a useful life together.
   He is in everything that moves   driving all the farm vehicles , jockey manager and states the fact the whole family has "stuck" has been his strength.
   Take the hat of to partners who adapt and become the Power of Family life ...   God bless them all.
   Tai is active in helping Riders who suffer the same fate as him , and he says , they don't get the same help as he did   ( as an international rider) winner of 11 G1 's .
   Some good out of a very sad story.
 Post Reply Post Reply