Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Funny Memories from Racings Past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny Memories from Racings Past
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:06pm
Following the banter from the Morrison thread - this probably deserves its own thread. Lots of old racing characters like Baghdad, Rusty & Fee that should tell their stories
Refer ALP Election Promises
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:08pm
Absolutely deserves its own thread! I have some good ones but might wait to see what direction this thread goes before I disclose.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:09pm
Little things stick i my mind from those days - how all the punters where bright & bushy tailed walking in the course - & shoulders slumped kicking the ground walking out. Classic LOLLOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm
& the ever present Salvo's with their tins in-hand. Remember my dear old Dad commenting one day that they stand at racecourse entrances - but not outside churches LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:19pm
I remember a protest being upheld at Rosehill one day - i saw it coming a mile off. Bugger me if i didn't see a $20 win ticket on the runner up staring at me on the ground. Couldn't pick it up quick enough. Think it was worth $120 - a decent quid for me back then. The Milky Bars where on me ! Ended up at Wenty Park that night via a Chinese restaurant. Lost the lot in the end - but had a ball with my mates LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:25pm
Another night when i was based in Melbourne i took my father-in-law (old tight scottish non-punter) out to the Sandown mutts on a Thursday night. It was just one of those one in a million nights when when i backed winner after winner. Filled up every pocket that both he & I had on us - he couldn't believe it. Had no idea how much I'd won - but just dropped it all on the double bed (with Mrs in it). Close to $3000 - again - a lot of money for a young bloke in the 80's. 
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:29pm
That reminds me of the time I was at Ipswich, and a good ten minutes after a Victorian race, the call came through "hold all tickets" on the race. Next thing you know, the beaten hot favourite was declared a non-runner. I looked at the ground in front of me, and saw a $200 tote ticket on it, discarded. It was early in the day, and there were very few tickets lying around, which helped, but then a scramble started, and a few people got trifecta tickets refunds and what not. People were able to submit claims for lost tickets, but I never heard of anyone getting paid, the cleaning contractors would have sifted through them. It reminds of the old days of the "emus", who would enter the course late in the day with a sugar bag, and fill it with discarded tote-tickets, many of which would be worth money because of exotics with late scratchings. For some, it was their living, going through those tickets with Sunday's paper race results.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I remember a protest being upheld at Rosehill one day - i saw it coming a mile off. Bugger me if i didn't see a $20 win ticket on the runner up staring at me on the ground. Couldn't pick it up quick enough. Think it was worth $120 - a decent quid for me back then. The Milky Bars where on me ! Ended up at Wenty Park that night via a Chinese restaurant. Lost the lot in the end - but had a ball with my mates LOL

Should have known you’d be an emu OneOne! LOL

I made a visit to Sydney with a mate one Easter about 20 years ago. Doncaster/Derby Day on the Saturday. I remember he forgot a tie so we went down the road from our hotel to Paddies Market where he managed to find one with cartoon cows in different sex positions for $5 or $10. Got out there and straight onto it big time. We ended up climbing over the approx 50cm gap between the public and members stands up on one of the upper levels. No idea how but no one said a word and we just continued on the booze in one of the members bars. 

Had a handy day out on the punt despite Sunline going down a neck to Over so we ended up kicking on at Wenty Park for the Golden Easter Egg. I couldn’t believe the betting ring. There would have been dozens of bookies fielding. Was a great night. I remember they had one of those motorised miniature car rides for some off track entertainment which of course we had to have a go of. My mate got on no problem but I was told to piss off. Too drunk. Probably a good thing as I ended up falling over, slumped in the big inflatable tube around the outside.

Good times!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:37pm
Used to be an organised gang Max that would collect the rubbish bags early morning from the front of TABs daily - take it back to a central address & have people sort the losing tickets. Anytime a protest was upheld / or a race abandonment they had a good day. Very profitable i believe. All came to an end when the tickets where scanned to collect - so you would not know if it had been collected or not 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm
One of my sadest punting experiences - started getting into betting on American sports about 10 years ago. Was having a really bad trot & loaded up on a College football game - one of those combined bets paying $3.50. I had team A at plus 8.5 / under combined score of 66.5 (or something like that). Anyhow was home & hosed with my team in front by 7 with next to no points being scored for the game. Other team scored in the last minute - score 14 all at fulltime (total 28 points). Still not worried as i had plus 8.5 on the line - so that couldn't lose - & 38 points up my sleeve on the total. Well bugger me - if they didn't go touchdown for touchdown in O/T to score another 42 points. And the worst thing about it i could see it coming  LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm
One thing I noticed from when I was a kid and taken to the races, was the amount of drinking, they would be tapping kegs every few minutes, it seemed, but I cannot recall any brawls erupting, certainly not ones that persisted. What does that say, I wonder.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Suggest you didnt go often enough Max
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:52pm
Years ago my teenage brother picked up a wad of tickets on the ground at Menangle trots, pretty much just to see how close the losing punter was.

As he checked them on his way to the ring he’d discard them.
They were all $10 r2r doubles on the same combination.
1st leg won, 2nd leg beaten in photo.
Just as he threw the last ticket away, came the announcement...hold all tickets!
He scrambled back, could only find 6/10 tickets.
Protest upheld, each ticket was worth $120.
It was more money than he’d ever seen in his life!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:53pm
No, I was there quite a few times, I didn't see the sort of trouble that is common today. And security would consist of one or two coppers wandering around.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:55pm
I went to Ipswich Cup day in the early 2000's, and it was brawls galore, and hordes of security people. Not a good advert for the area.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:58pm
I'd suggest, 1-1, than many of those heavy drinkers in the 60's racetrack bars, were WW2 vets, and had seen enough of violence.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I went to Ipswich Cup day in the early 2000's, and it was brawls galore, and hordes of security people. Not a good advert for the area.

Ipswich Cup I’m not surprised when you consider the demographics of the area. I remember a story of maybe 15 years ago they had that huge inflatable “Mr Forex” mascot in the infield on Ipswich Cup day. Air taken out at the end of the day but was pinched before someone could come and collect it the next morning. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:03pm
No doubt Max the focus in the old days was punting first / drinking second. These days the opposite. Almost encourage patrons to get pie eyed these days. So much for Responsible Drinking - & Gambling - load of cobblers.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:03pm
One bloke had four coppers and security blokes holding him while he head-butted the wall, real racetrack atmosphere there.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:04pm
I have a few great Bong Bong stories - know that was just pure debauchery LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:05pm

& a few Melbourne Cup Cruises LOLLOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
I actually ALMOST got to the track on one of them !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:07pm
I think that was the day the big crowd overflowed from the women' toilet, and the "ladies" were attempting to urinate into the urinals in the men's toilet, in numbers, no-one seemed to mind. Some were quite athletic in their endeavours.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:10pm
I knew a punter who had a large commission to get set. Rather than take the best odds he went around the ring taking lesser odds. The bookies treated him as a mug, they reasoned only a mug who would take 16/1 when the bookie would see 20/1 on the rails. He always got his entire commission on, whereas if he had taken the top odds ( 20/1 ) his market at the lesser odds ( 16/1 ) would have soon been the top odds and he probably would not have got his entire commission set.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:14pm
This isn't laugh out loud stuff, but anyway...

There'd been a series of teleprinter odds delays at previous Canberra meetings, causing bookies to get burnt.  The suggestion being that people involved in the printer service were deliberately delaying transmission until after their associates had got on big shorteners at inflated prices.

So all the usual suspects showed up this particular Saturday afternoon, those in the know undoubtedly anticipating another good day, only to find that bookmakers were betting even-money the entire field on Melbourne and Sydney races until such time as the odds service was provided on a regular and timely basis.

Needless to say there was very nearly a riot, however words must have been said at the appropriate places because the service did improve considerably at later meetings.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:18pm
talking of commissions, a bloke I knew was to be part of an organized plunge on a first-starter, which later became a Stradbroke winner. He was given his allotted stake money, and was told not to bet before some pre-arranged signal came. Money started to be piled on the horse, but the signal did not come. Meanwhile, the horse had shortened to prohibitive odds. He then learnt that the money that had come, was not the stable money, and accordingly, the horse "won't be winning today". The jockey,  a well known rider, was given the new riding instructions, and it did not feature.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:18pm
Always remember the struggle to get a decent price e/w with the bookies when their was a short priced favourite in the race. I understand why - however it was always a mad scramble whenever you found one that let you on at a decent price
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:26pm

I remember one Melbourne Cup day at Flemington, 2008 from memory and in the 45min before the Cup Simon Beasley must have had some kind malfunction on his board because he had his place odds set at 1 point less than the win price for every runner in the field. IE Something at $11 the win was $10 the place. I was about half way through backing the entire field the place when some imbecile alerted him to it. Told him straight up his mistake. So dont assume that punters will always think of themselves, particularly if they aren’t intelligent enough to take advantage of something.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:26pm
Re Max's story we had one in at Canberra, considered it extremely hard to beat, and backed it accordingly.

As the trainer gave his instructions, jockey Ted Doon simply looked at us all and said "It's not your turn today" and nodded in the direction of another runner.

We rushed back to the ring and took unders on the "pea" given those in the know had already gone on, but we did manage to break near enough to square when it duly saluted.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:31pm
At a provincial track, the opening call came though, on an interstate race, which was duly put up on the bookies boards. Unfortunately the market % being only 60 or 70%, did not alert one bookie that there might be a problem with it, and as some bloke stepped forward to claim the 25/1 about one runner, another punter warned the bookie that the prices were wrong, and he then declined to accept the bet. I would say that punter might have gone to the betting steward over the matter, but did not. The next call came through, and it was revealed the 25/1 pop should have been 2-5. ($1.40). I am a little bit ambivalent about that failed transaction, if the first call had been 2 to 5, and then the next call was 25/1, would the bookie have changed the odds for that punter ? I doubt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>