Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 237>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:14pm
The 7.30 report and Malcolm Turnbull embarrassed themselves.
He will sink below the surface
for a while.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:18pm
I must say the few times I've heard Sarah Ferguson interview someone she comes across as a person who doesn't actually listen very well.
Refer ALP Election Promises
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:51pm
I agree, seems like she just asks the questions she’s prepared.
No follow up questions, or redirections.
Very stilted.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:27am
Turnbull not being allowed to answer a question aside, I thought he did pretty well outlining the differences between then and now and how his view had evolved(a rarity in a person from the right).

A long way to go in this process.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:56am

Victoria and Queensland take strides towards treaties with First Nations peoples

Two Australian states have taken major strides on the path to a treaty with the First Nations peoples who have lived there for tens of thousands of years.
Victoria last night passed a bill to set up the country's first independent Treaty Authority, just hours after the Queensland government announced the signing of a "path to treaty" with several Indigenous groups.
First Peoples' Assembly of Victoria co-chair Marcus Stewart said the move was about "stepping outside of the colonial system" and focusing on first peoples' lore, law and cultural authority.
"This is another huge step forward and one that mob all around the country can take inspiration from," the proud Nira illim bulluk man said.
"With the assembly our people have a voice. We already have truth-telling underway and now treaty is very much within reach."
The authority has guaranteed funding, will be led by First Nations peoples, sits outside the usual state bureaucracy and won't report to a minister. 
Bangerang and Wiradjuri elder Aunty Geraldine Atkinson said it was encouraging to see hard conversations being had in Canberra and the wider country.
"When people tell me this sounds like a very different way of doing things, I think 'good'," the assembly co-chair said.
"Treaty needs to be done on our terms, because our people need to have faith in the path forward. 
"We've been let down too many times before, but now there is a real sense of hope growing. Hope that this country is ready to reckon with the past and make amends so we can create a better future together."
Queensland is just setting off down a similar path.
The first step is a three-year truth-telling inquiry to acknowledge both painful and shameful incidents in Queensland's history.
"Each generation is called to face its challenge," Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said. 
"I believe this is ours."
Treaty Advancement Committee co-chair Mick Gooda said the process would involve its challenges.
"This is tough stuff but I think we're ready for it," he said.
"I think this is a challenge for us." 
The government said after the truth-telling process it would negotiate individual treaties with Indigenous groups around the state.
From renaming sites like Fraser Island to K'gari, to land hand-backs or financial reparations, nothing is off the table.
The government wants Queenslanders to embrace not fear the process. 9NEWS

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:22am
Well if Anthony wants this process to actually happen I suggest he pull Adam aside & tell him to shut that Lydia Thorpe up. She is an absolute dipstick - & while ever she is leading the charge the referendum has Buckley's chance of getting up. As if mainstream Australia will follow her in ! 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:25am
Debate is healthy. Let every lunatic on all sides air their grievances. It will all distill out over the next 3 years.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:26am
And as for this state based stuff above - isn't that just going to confuse the whole thing ? I mean they wont be all the same for starters.

Would have thought its the last thing they should be doing. 

Lot of get in first legacy building going on me thinks. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Debate is healthy. Let every lunatic on all sides air their grievances. It will all distill out over the next 3 years.
Well it hasn't over the past 5. Got worse if anything
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:29am
Look at what happened with the SSM debate. The longer it went on the more the slippery slope mob were exposed as being on empty.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:30am

Never ending. Anthony needs to lead on this - formulate a path forward now & be its advocate. Waiting around for the likes of Price, Thorpe , Burney agreeing on anything will never happen
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:34am
I think like with the Republic debate when Howard stayed out of it, advocates from both sides need to present without political input. Will be interested more when we start getting more public input from constitutional experts. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:41am
I would say at a guess there would be more doubters now than a few years back. And the more they talk about name changing , biggest constitutional change ever, not just symbolic - real power transfer via "the Voice" to parliament, real "truth telling" , & dipstick Lydia carrying on - the more middle Australia will dump the idea.

Why cant they just put in-place the final agreed system for a 10 or 20 year trial ? if it works - then have a referendum to change the Constitution. Have it so they can tweak the process during the trial if need be by a steering committee. That makes sense  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:49am
If that is the case Victoria and Qld govts could be in trouble going down the treaty path.

I think there is a mood for change and the time is here, despite a lot of questions.

Remember the Republican debate favored YES vote very strongly but the model presented by Howard was not representative of the majority wishes so it failed. I favored a Republic but voted NO. I dont think Albo will try to blow this up.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:51am
Its funny whenever I've heard term "trial basis" used it gets ignored. Why would you commit to something "forever" without first really understanding the full consequences ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:52am

If that is the case Victoria and Qld govts could be in trouble going down the treaty path.

I think there is a mood for change and the time is here, despite a lot of questions.

Remember the Republican debate favored YES vote very strongly but the model presented by Howard was not representative of the majority wishes so it failed. I favored a Republic but voted NO. I dont think Albo will try to blow this up.
I think the "Voice" bit is the main concern
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:53am
Wait to see what form it takes. Everyone is only guessing now.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:57am
Bottom line, what people like Lidia Thorpe and many others believe is that the colonisation of Australia was illegal and that the original owners still own it - all of it.

And she would be right, if conquest was based on laws or a fair go. But conquest is based on the brute fact of human existence - the strong take what they want from the weak. If you don't believe me ask President Xi.Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:16am

Look at what happened with the SSM debate. The longer it went on the more the slippery slope mob were exposed as being on empty.
Some would suggest that is exactly what has happened. Check out the Mardi Gras focus theses days. All sorts of weird & wonderful things LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:17am
And don't tell me the same rule didn't apply before Europeans arrived. How else did some tribes end up on the coast with the mild weather and the ocean viewTongue living on flathead, lobster and roo while others ended up in the desert living on witchetty grubs and snakes.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:38am
Now, now Tlaz - your heading down the wrong path thinking that way. I think you need a re-education process to get you thinking straight.

By the way, i hope you listed to that song in the music thread. Great voice that bloke
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Some would suggest that is exactly what has happened. Check out the Mardi Gras focus theses days. All sorts of weird & wonderful things LOL
SSM stuff "is oh so yesterday" Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:59am
Yep, so yesterday. Amazing how a few years of acceptance without any cats or rabbits being violated takes the air out the haters tires.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:20am
& Anthony & Miss Burney seemed to have a problem with John Howards use of the term "coercive force" when talking about the proposed Voice to parliament. As if he was shooting the idea down.

So isn't that exactly what you would want it to be ? Shouldn't they be patting him on the back ! I mean the idea is to influence the narrative of issues impacting indigenous Australia to get better outcomes. No use having a Voice if no one listens to it

What am i missing here PT ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:26am
I mean isn't using "coercion" just standard practice in all politics ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:31am
Coercion is compelling a party to act in an involuntary manner by use of threats, including threats of force. It involves a set of forceful actions which violate the free will of an individual in order to induce a desired response. These actions may include extortion, blackmail, or even torture and sexual assault. Wikipedia

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:33am
As I said - standard parliamentary practice LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

& Anthony & Miss Burney seemed to have a problem with John Howards use of the term "coercive force" when talking about the proposed Voice to parliament. As if he was shooting the idea down.

So isn't that exactly what you would want it to be ? Shouldn't they be patting him on the back ! I mean the idea is to influence the narrative of issues impacting indigenous Australia to get better outcomes. No use having a Voice if no one listens to it

What am i missing here PT ?

What is the proposal?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:09pm
The Voice will be a persuasive force. It has no coercive powers. A coercive force would be something like the Northern Territory National Emergency Response, in case Johnny can't tell the difference.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:53pm
 Lazarus should just go back to the graveyard...

no-one listens to him anymore...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 237>