Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 237>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indigenous Voice to Parliament
    Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 2:15pm
Now that the announcement has been officially made of a draft referendum question on Indigenous recognition and a voice to parliament a thread is warranted. This will be with us for several years so it should be separate from the plethora of oneone threads on the Albanese govt.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 2:18pm
Baguette and his mob can vote NO.
reductio ad absurdum
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:02pm
That speech by Elbow up at a festival in Indigenous heartland could only go over well, but in throughout the rest of Australia, disregarding those inner suburban green LGAs, it will be much harder to sell. In Australia's history 44 referendums have been put before the public and only 8 have got up. Odds of Indigenous Voice in Parliament would have a similar chance 1:5 .
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:12pm
It will depend on how well it is explained by the current government, coming from behind already as the Morrison govt distorted it to kill it.

Bit like Howard and the the Republic referendum. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
I’ll never vote for anything that enshrines race into our Constitution. Ever. I’d vote to take out any lingering mention of race though. And I can vote No with a clear conscience because I’m not convinced that our Indigenous Australians want this. The screeching activists do. The Vegan man bun wearing Electric scooter riding inner city twits do. But it would be way down the list of priorities for most Indigenous Australians . Or Australians in General.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:43pm
I see that vote was made by ABC Vote Compass, I presume they surveyed ABC viewers / listeners. Nobody knocked on my door or tele-polled me.Smile  I am  not in the least surprised that cohort of people would support the cause.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:44pm
What is the history from other Nations throughout the world with how they have dealt with the same issue ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:59pm
Not good but getting there. Not all countries were colonized so it isn't a universal thing. US, NZ, Canada and us are moving towards recognition. Many treaties are in place already. I believe Norway and maybe other Scandinavian countries have joint recognition in their constitutions with Indigenous people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:03pm
It will be an interesting bunfight to watch seeing the 500 tribes decide on who gets to be in the Voice. The only thing that would make it more interesting would be if they didn't have to speak in the white oppressors language and could babble at each other in their native tongues.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:07pm
 I'm like Baguette...I think it's divisive. 

I never liked the old Indigenous v Whities football match, either.

We are one people...not individual entities.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:08pm
There will be no third chamber of parliament. That was the Morrison govt lie to torpedo the process.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:19pm
Wrap it up any way you want PT . It’s giving one group of Australians something that the rest don’t have based solely on their race. Its racist divisive and in the end pointless . It will do nothing practical to improve the lives of indigenous people .
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:28pm
And I’ll just add that ABC poll PT posted shows that this hasn’t got a hope in hell of getting up at referendum. You’d want strong approval much higher than that , especially amongst the ABC types!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm
You sure you are a Labor supporter?

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:37pm
I am a Unionist through and through. Some of my Union colleagues have vastly different thoughts on these issues. 
reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:49pm
A life long Labor voter married to a 30 year Union delegate. I have family members who worked for Whitlam and going further back my grandfathers and great grandfathers worked and sacrificed for workers rights. I don’t have anyone to vote for any more which makes me a bit angry.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:51pm
Vote for the weed party Baguette 
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:51pm
So you didn't vote Labor in May?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:20pm
I didn’t vote for anyone . Got my name marked off and just shoved the ballot in the box unmarked.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:32pm
Nothing like honesty Baguette , straight shooter . Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:55am
The bizarre actions of Lidia Thorpe in the Senate yesterday surely did more for the NO vote for the Indigenous Voice in Parliament than any argument put up by those who oppose the Voice. 
Thorpe , an indigenous member of the Senate, waltzed into the Senate holding her arm aloft in the Black  Power salute, then could not bring herself to affirm her allegiance to the Crown, instead tried to turn that  affirmation into a "colonising" Queen Elizabeth.
If her actions reflect what we can expect of the Indigenous Voice to Parliament, there is no known way it will ever be accepted by the silent majority of Australians.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:59am
She is an idiot and attention seeker.  

Not sure how it sets back an Indigenous Voice though. We have all sorts of bizarre characters in the Australian Parliament, left and right.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:02pm
I am sceptical. Wasn't ATSIC a formal voice to parliament? That ended with Geoff Clark.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:05pm
I wish the freakin' spell like a septic red line thing here would disappear. It is constantly making me check the spelling of words I thought I know and in fact do know.Angry

Simon Cameron

Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:07pm
This is the sort of headline the Voice has to over come.

‘It’s devastating’: Redfern’s National Centre of Indigenous Excellence to close after negotiations fail

A social enterprise hub providing health and wellbeing services for Indigenous people in Sydney has suddenly closed, one month after the site was divested from the Indigenous Land and Sea Corporation to the NSW Aboriginal Land Council.

The decision to shut the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence (NCIE) came after the ILSC failed to reach an agreement with the land council on the Redfern hub’s future, the recently appointed CEO of the NCIE, Jasmine Ryan, said.

“Everyone is being made redundant,” Ryan said.

“We have a very large number of First Nations staff here and many of the people grew up in this community, it’s devastating.”

The NCIE opened in 2006 and offers sport, fitness, conferences and community classes including tutoring and educational support. It employs approximately 50, mostly Indigenous, people.

“We have so much community coming through the doors that use the centre, Indigenous and non-Indigenous people – everyone is welcome,” Ryan said.

“It’s a place that people could come and feel safe in what has been just a rapidly changing community of Redfern.”

Ryan said staff had little warning of the closure and the future of NCIE was uncertain.

“From my understanding from what they’ve told us, those negotiations essentially broke down, they weren’t able to come to an agreement and because of that ILSC made the decision to close NCIE down,” she said.

Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:08pm
    So many competing groups.
    jujuno View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:08pm
    Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

She is an idiot and attention seeker.  

Not sure how it sets back an Indigenous Voice though. We have all sorts of bizarre characters in the Australian Parliament, left and right.

you know damn well who will vote for this, and who won't.

It will fall flat on its face because most people think that they already have enough voice.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:10pm
    You can choose your friends but you cant choose your family.
    Kinship.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:32pm
    We dont know what form this thing will take yet, nor how it will work. 

I will decide with all the facts onboard. Radical I know.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 237>