Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Shrine of Remembrance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrine of Remembrance
    Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 2:56pm
The poison of identity politics has jumped up again. There is a plan to light up the Shrine of Remembrance in rainbow colours to commemorate the contribution of gay and queer members have made to represent Australia.  We do not need this, it is divisive and inappropriate.  The Australian flag represents every person who has represented this country regardless of their colour, creed, gender or sexuality.
If it is the desire of the LQBQIT  community to gain attention to their cause it should be drawn to  their  attention it’s not the role of the Shrine to be leading that debate, the Shrine should be above politics and political debate.
If they want to gain that attention, light up the MCG some similar venue, that will gain the attention they seek.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 3:19pm
I was reading this yesterday and was wondering when the thread would pop up LOL
Time is a flat circle
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm
Is it the 30 year anniversary of the lifting of the ban on gays serving in the military Bob? Also 9 years since gays were allowed by ADF to march in uniform at gay and lesbian mardi gras.
Lots of ceilings being broken. 

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:10pm
Fair enough it might be the 30th anniversary of the lifting of the ban and 9 years marching in uniform. What is the significance of those years ?
Why now, and not in the past on 25th or 20th anniversary of the ban or 7 or 5 years marching in uniform ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:11pm
Maybe just recognition Bob.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:14pm
But, at the Shrine of Remembrance ?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:15pm
 actually, I'm on Bob's side, with this.

I think certain things should be above being tinkered with, for causes.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:22pm
I am not saying I agreeing with it, just offering a possible explanation.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:24pm
Do you disagree with it, PT? Or do you support it?
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
I agree with Bob and JJ.
I think some things should be held sacred and not be open to the politically correct brigade to tinker with.
Its for the war dead of the nation, regardless of colour , religion, sex, or any other thing the woke mob dream up.
If it was to be lit up in the rainbow colours, why not the indig colours, colours of PNG, and any others who served. 
Why do the gay crew feel they are special ?
And NO, I am not anti gay.  I was friends with Ian Roberts long before he came out.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:53pm
 I'm not anti-gay either, AA...but it seems like we are being overwhelmed by gay-rights rights...

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 3:23pm
Certainly getting a hammering about it lately.  Surely there are far more important things to focus on ?   Even my gay friends are cringing at some of the recent stuff thats going on.
animals before people.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 1:26pm
Didn't end up happening
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:05pm
Common sense prevailed then ?
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:01pm
 they are going to display the flag...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:34pm

Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance cancels rainbow light plan, citing threats and abuse

Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance has cancelled plans to illuminate the site in rainbow colours, citing "sustained abuse" and threats directed at its staff.

Key points:

• A rainbow light plan was set to mark the opening of an exhibition about those LGBTQI+ people who served
  • Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance's chief executive says some staff experienced abuse and threats over the plan
  • The lights have been cancelled "in the interests of minimising harm" but the exhibition and a service are going ahead

The rainbow plan for Sunday night was set to coincide with the opening of a new exhibition inside the Shrine, called Defending with Pride: Stories of LGBTQ+ Service.

It is an exhibition that charts the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people in Australia's armed forces.

The exhibition and a Last Post service are still going ahead from Sunday, however, Shrine of Remembrance chief executive Dean Lee confirmed the rainbow lighting would not.

"Over several days, our staff have received — and been subject to — sustained abuse and, in some cases, threats," he said in a statement.

"We have seen something of what members of the LGBTIQ+ community experience every day. It is hateful."

Some social media activity had suggested there could be a protest against the lights taking place on Sunday afternoon. more...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-30/shrine-of-remembrance-in-rainbow-colour-scrapped/101284904

Post Reply Post Reply