Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Foot and Mouth Disease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foot and Mouth Disease
    Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:02pm
With all due respect to Senator Murray Watt I wonder if he has sufficient knowledge of farming and agriculture to be making decisions on the run with the possibility of Foot and Mouth disease creeping into Australia by returning tourists from Indonesia.
Watt  graduated from the University of Queensland with the degrees in Commerce and Law. He practised as a solicitor from 1997 to 2002 and was a judge's associate from 1999 to 2000. He was then a public servant in the Queensland Department of Premier and Cabinet and the Department of State Development from 2007 to 2009, and chief of staff to Anna Bligh from 2002 to 2007, and again in 2008. He had long been active in the ALP serving as president of Queensland Young Labor in 1998 and delegate to various state conferences.
Running a quick eye over his qualifications I fail see any connection with Australia's rural and livestock industries, which at this perilous time might require 
somebody else , with a rural background in federal Labor to take responsibility for this important issue
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:07pm
have we ever had a doctor of medicine as health minister? 
maybe, but a good minister relies on expert advice and then makes decisions hopefully
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:09pm
He has a phalanx of rural professionals to advise him about agriculture and border security.

I spent some time at close quarters with two National Party Ministers for Agriculture and neither of them knew which way was up.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:09pm
May I introduce BB to the shadow Minister for Agriculture.

Littleproud was born in Chinchilla, Queensland. His grandfather George Littleproud served on the Chinchilla Shire Council, while his father Brian Littleproud was a state Nationals MP and government minister.[1] He attended Chinchilla State High School and Toowoomba Grammar School.[2] As of 2019, he was one of the two members of the national cabinet who had no tertiary qualification.[3]

Littleproud was an agribusiness banker before entering politics.[4] He spent 17 years with the National Australia Bank (NAB), including 12 years based in Warwick, Queensland, as district manager (agribusiness and commercial). He joined Suncorp in 2011 as executive manager (business and agribusiness banking) for South West Queensland.[5] As of 2018 Littleproud was the owner of Mr Rental Southern Downs, a rent-to-buy business that employed four people.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:12pm
Michael Woolridge is the only Health Minister that I can recall being a qualified doctor.

Apart from Attorney General there has never been a requirement for ministers to have a professional background in their fields same as in industry the CEO and most senior executives do not need to be qualified in those areas. 
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

May I introduce BB to the shadow Minister for Agriculture.

Littleproud was born in Chinchilla, Queensland. His grandfather George Littleproud served on the Chinchilla Shire Council, while his father Brian Littleproud was a state Nationals MP and government minister.[1] He attended Chinchilla State High School and Toowoomba Grammar School.[2] As of 2019, he was one of the two members of the national cabinet who had no tertiary qualification.[3]

Littleproud was an agribusiness banker before entering politics.[4] He spent 17 years with the National Australia Bank (NAB), including 12 years based in Warwick, Queensland, as district manager (agribusiness and commercial). He joined Suncorp in 2011 as executive manager (business and agribusiness banking) for South West Queensland.[5] As of 2018 Littleproud was the owner of Mr Rental Southern Downs, a rent-to-buy business that employed four people.
Too good, beat me to it.LOL

Talk about Bobbie leading with his chin….
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:16pm
And the previous Tory ministers.

Michael McCormack - Journalist

Rorter McKenzie - teacher

Barnaby - accountant

Malcolm Turnbull - Point Piper aristocrat

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:23pm
You all miss my point, is the any other member of the federal ALP who is better qualified for the job ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
What is your point?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:34pm
Besides, a farmer is not an expert on biosecurity.

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:53pm
Does any politician ever have expertise in the 8-10 portfolios they get given throughout their careers?
Time is a flat circle
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:04pm
Havnt noticed any of the "experts" in their portfolios do real well.  As an island , why did we let covid in ?  Why have we let in the bee virus ?   And why are we not taking stricter measures to prevent F&M getting in ?  I just really feel this is not being taken seriously enough. But maybe I am biased having been in the UK and see the livestock , huge piles of people,s years of breeding, being fed to the fires.  The impact here would be disastrous .
You only have to have a passing look at the TV show and see all the food people think its OK to bring in . Suitcases full of stuff , half of it vile . Angry Like mummified rats last week ?  Sick fiddlesticks  !!! WHO eats that stuff ?  Wacko  Oh yes, I forgot, people eat bats dont they .Sick
Unless they intend to check every case that comes off planes from Malaysia how do they stop it ?  Footmats.  OMG, cringe worthy .
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:04pm
Things are different now Bobby, out go the lobbyists and advisors/contractor friends and family and in comes expert advisors. 

I note Dreyfus has said the contractors and advisors are now being considered for investigation by the new Integrity Commission after not previously. What are they uncovering in the govt transition? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:24pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:46pm
As per ABC last week, when in power, Littleproud stated precisely what the present Aggy Minister has said i.e. no need to close borders unless the relevant authorities say there's a need to. Geez, talk about change of tune Clown
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:19pm
It's already in the country if a few on here are anything to go by.

Oh no, sorry. That's Foot IN Mouth.

My bad.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:31pm
Really,,,TJ,,its not a joke.   If it gets in it wont be funny.  
If it gets in here it wont be very funny at all.
Do you really get what the results will be,,,,??

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:18am
No aa, I have no idea

Originally posted by TJMitchell 20 Jul 2022 TJMitchell 20 Jul 2022 wrote:

Was literally talking to a vet about this yesterday. How they killed/burned about 6m animals in the uk
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 1:42pm
Some dipstick fined 2k for McMuffins on a flight from Indonesia 
Time is a flat circle
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:30pm
Indonesia has said this morning that Bali is now clear of foot and mouth

Let's hope they are correct
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:45pm
I believe thats a fib since last nights news showed sick cows and people in overalls injecting them.
animals before people.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 12:55pm
Labor has at last realised the seriousness of this.
I suppose it is akin to Liberals response to covid.
All good then.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 1:12pm
Please get your facts straight.  The in-coming government has from Day 1 followed advice from experts in the field along with affected parties the Farmers' Federation etc.  And it continues to do so as mamatters continue to evolve.

Unlike the prior Minister who took no action AT ALL when warned of foot and mouth in early May.
 Post Reply Post Reply