Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wokeness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:57pm
It annoys me when they call the honourable scumbags honourable.

honourable

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:10am
I suppose eventually all in the LGBTIQ+ community and its supporters will come to realise that the majority of Australians just desire to live an uncomplicated life sharing it with their family, friends and colleagues and do not appreciate many of their words ( mother / birthing parent  etc) and traditions (eg. Australia Day ) being hijacked and threatened in the name of equality and diversity and acceptance by a small number of activists and groups.
The bombardment of our lives by various activists need to stop, as rather than uniting Australians, it is ripping its citizens apart.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Does saying a prayer make them less likely to rort or cheat?

Did your mum and grandma make you go to church?
You sound like my teenagers......LOL

Nonetheless
does welcome to country give you good feelings that past horrors have been absolved and forgiven?

All peachy isnt it.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:25am
I went to a Catholic school with a church and got the full Christian ''experience''. A few of my friends got the extras. My sister's best friend's mother had an affair with the priest. She later got divorced and moved in with the priest who was forced to leave the church.

Made me question the power of prayer bigly.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:40am
As I previously mentioned I have never being baptised and  I am agnostic, so I am not defending the Catholic church, however regarding that priest marrying the sister of your best friend's mother I suppose in every barrel of apples there is always one or two which are rotten.
Where the Catholic church fails in my opinion, is the rule of celibacy for priests and being unable to marry.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:58pm
Saw this on twitter

"Instead of the Lords Prayer, maybe MPs could recite their Code of Conduct at the beginning of each day"
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I went to a Catholic school with a church and got the full Christian ''experience''. A few of my friends got the extras. My sister's best friend's mother had an affair with the priest. She later got divorced and moved in with the priest who was forced to leave the church.

Made me question the power of prayer bigly.

Our local married priest was having an affair with the Sunday school teacher, while sermonising about not stealing another man's wife. We caught them passionately kissing, behind the vestry.

I think church buildings are wonderful, but those running them are mostly hypocrites. 

Ouch

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:38pm
Our local priest was a VERY red head.  Every good catholic family in town had a red headed child.
animals before people.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 11:54am

This is by way of being a book review. 

Kevin Donnelly’s book The Woke Dictonary has just become available, and I am in the middle of reading my copy now.

(When I finished reading, I’ll write a full-length review for The Spectator Australia.) 

This is a fully revised and expanded edition of Kevin’s earlier book A Politically Correct Dictionary and Guide (2019). 

It contains 352 definitions of very trendy, with-it, Woke expressions from “Abelism” to “Zie.” 

Kevin gives us definitions that let us know how the Woke warriors themselves understand these words, thus enabling us to see the real claims they are making—often hidden underneath their jargon words. 

The book also contains seven short articles by Kevin telling us where this movement came from, the sort of thinking that lies behind it, what it says about race and gender, the role played by the thinking of Karl Marx, and (most importantly) what we can do about it. 

To give you a flavour of the book, here is what it says about the word “Woke” itself: 

“(Woke) Refers to being able to define oneself and see others and the wider world through a politically correct prism. The Urban Dictionary defines this as ‘A reference to how people should be aware in current affairs.’ As in ‘While you worried about whether you should order a decaf, free-trade, almond milk latte—China was building over 100 coal fired power stations, stay WOKE.’” This is a helpful book, warmly recommended.

You can find the book on Kevin Donnelly’s own website. Here’s the link: Books | Kevin Donnelly  

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:00pm
 I have yet to meet anyone 'woke' out of this joint.

The average person doesn't even know what 'woke' is.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:34pm
I woke up this morning at 7 am. 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:05pm
I saw the captain of the Lionesses England national football team on tv last night. Good sort I thought - I bet she's gay.Wink Sure enough,  partnered with one of her team mates. Very common in women's sport. Unknown in men's sport. Wouldn't it be lovely if, for example, Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris shacked up.Heart
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:07pm
LOL  You richard cranium. 
reductio ad absurdum
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I saw the captain of the Lionesses England national football team on tv last night. Good sort I thought - I bet she's gay.Wink Sure enough,  partnered with one of her team mates. Very common in women's sport. Unknown in men's sport. Wouldn't it be lovely if, for example, Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris shacked up.Heart

they could bump chins...

LOL
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:17am
Never seen a word so miss used in my entire life, its like using the word "careful" to sl*g someone off, it just makes no sense at all.
Panspermia.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:38am
It's meant to be ironic, fiddles. The millenial "woke" w*nkers originally described themselves that way, as if the had woken up to the real world. It was so obviously ridiculous that it became a derogatory term.
Hope that helps.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:58am
Thing is you cannot pin point a single person to woke, its like a blanket the right throw over everyone and no one who is looking out for others. 
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:03pm
Jesus was a woke social justice warrior. 
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:16pm
Yeah yeah, the modern variation on the old "Jesus was a Communist" line that w*nkers used to bandy about.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Thing is you cannot pin point a single person to woke, its like a blanket the right throw over everyone and no one who is looking out for others. 

I think it's usually reserved for people who PRETEND to be looking out for others but really are just virtue-signalling and feathering their own nests.

Eg a bloke I once knew who went to Green meetings, wore recycled clothes etc, put some dead pine needles on the floor in place of a Christmas tree (deep, man )... then when I took him and his girlfriend to the Grampians for a few days of bushwalking etc he never left the house! Had no love for Nature at all. THAT'S what would now be called a "woke w*nker."
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:31pm
So the Jesus feeding the hungry masses and healing the sick was just left wing woke propaganda and he was really a greedy RWNJ the right aspire to?
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:34pm
Hmmm. Could there be a 3rd option? Of course not! The world's gone nuts.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:55pm
I well remember in scripture classes reading about Jesus calling for tax cuts for the rich and to withhold welfare from the poor to pay for them.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:05pm
Your a terrible man PT LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:09pm
I have little regard for pretend Christians.

As Father Bob says, not much Jesus in most Christians these days.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:42pm
is not calling disabled people " spastics" wokeness? or calling downs syndrome mongoloids?  
Yeah the world just isn't the same anymore 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Which is why it is now essentially meaningless. Just a go-to insult for people who have the left living inside their heads rent free. LOL
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:18pm
Both "sides" have replaced rational argument with "go-to insults." It's hardly worth discussing anything any more. Ironically, Trump probably started it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:21pm
It isn't the left pushing for laws to allow them to discriminate on religious grounds.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Both "sides" have replaced rational argument with "go-to insults." It's hardly worth discussing anything any more. Ironically, Trump probably started it.

Absolutely. Totally meaningless names thrown out en-masse by both sides. “Woke”, “Wingnut” etc should be the Godwin’s law of the 2020s. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>