Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wokeness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

And you can name your own quote about him actually being a First Fleeter.  Big smileWink
I will take you up on that. I tell what I will do. When we catch up in our luncheon I will bring you evidence of Joseph Wright, my forebear, being a convict on the first fleet and you can pay for our entrees and I will pay for the main courses. That seems fair enough. Do they serve lobster tails as entrée  at the restaurant ?
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:21pm
What would you like for entree sir?

Yes.
Time is a flat circle
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:39pm
Sue Lines, (ALP ) has been elected as the new President of the Federal Senate. Lines who is an atheist has decreed the Lord's Prayer will no longer be read each day before the Senate sits. I don't know about you and I am not a Christian, Jew or Muslim but find it strange that Lines is able to do away with a parliamentary tradition going back to federation. Likewise, another long held tradition, if I was a member of the ADF, I would be required to swear allegiance to the Queen , despite the fact I am not a Royalist. I don't know the ALP's intentions there but if the ALP starts tinkering with long held Australian traditions they should be prepared for a bit of kick back from the electorate .

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

And you can name your own quote about him actually being a First Fleeter.  Big smileWink
I will take you up on that. I tell what I will do. When we catch up in our luncheon I will bring you evidence of Joseph Wright, my forebear, being a convict on the first fleet and you can pay for our entrees and I will pay for the main courses. That seems fair enough. Do they serve lobster tails as entrée  at the restaurant ?

You can have 1000/1 about him only stealing a loaf of bread before importation, as claimed.  But by all means provide some evidence of the bloke.

ps you're still majorly paying for lunch, irrespective .  Big smile
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:56pm

Sue Lines, (ALP ) has been elected as the new President of the Federal Senate. Lines who is an atheist has decreed the Lord's Prayer will no longer be read each day before the Senate sits. I don't know about you and I am not a Christian, Jew or Muslim but find it strange that Lines is able to do away with a parliamentary tradition going back to federation. Likewise, another long held tradition, if I was a member of the ADF, I would be required to swear allegiance to the Queen , despite the fact I am not a Royalist. I don't know the ALP's intentions there but if the ALP starts tinkering with long held Australian traditions they should be prepared for a bit of kick back from the electorate .

Why it would have ever been there is anyones guess. This is parliament not church. 
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 9:03pm
I don't think people will care about a prayer before a senate meeting. At the rate it's going they won't care about prayer at all soon enough.

An increasing number of people are also reporting they are not religious, with the 2021 census showing 38.9 per cent have no religious affiliation.

That figure has increased from 22.3 per cent in 2011 and 30.1 per cent in 2016.
Time is a flat circle
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 9:26pm

And therein lies the problem with you conservatives.  No matter how antiquated or due to changing customs or no longer necessary, something is, you'll fight tooth and nail to keep it as is, just because that is how it is.

Still, I'm sure Bolter and co of the rightard media will start a campaign about it, should the Lords Prayer be removed.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 9:42pm

I would also refuse to participate in a prayer of any description, if I was elected. Or swear allegiance to a monarch. Parliament is not a church or a royal curtsy. It's a law-making institution. 

I always find it laughable that people swear on the bible in court cases. If you ain't Christian, it means bugger-all.  

Better to just threaten them with incarceration for lying, before they give evidence.

Geek
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 9:50pm

The separation of church and state is not a new thingWink
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:05pm
Remind me to ask the monarchists the next time they run their GG is head of state, why do our military swear allegiance to the Queen?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:06pm
Remind me to ask the monarchists the next time they run their GG is head of state line, why do our military swear allegiance to the Queen?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:24pm
Joseph Wright was convicte for stealing 218lbs of lead worth 40 shillings.LOL

https://firstfleetfellowship.org.au/convicts/joseph-wright/

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:34pm
 obviously, that baker who he stole the bread from, didn't use enough yeast...

Evil Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Joseph Wright was convicted for stealing 218lbs of lead worth 40 shillings.LOL

Thinks that's about $1,800 in today's money terms.  Joe was no penny-ante crim.  Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 12:37pm
Must have been a slow getaway. No wonder he was caught.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Joseph Wright was convicte for stealing 218lbs of lead worth 40 shillings.LOL

Despite
Correct, I was attempting to make light of his offence, I knew all along he stole lead. Despite my attempt to downgrade his crime I am still a descendant of him, so it appears SC shouts entrees at our luncheon.
BTW , many of  his first and second generation descendants "acquired" much rural land and became squatters, not that any of my side of the family inherited any of that wealth. I do not know whether any current indigenous have made land claims against that "acquired land "but it is food for thought.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:11pm
 talk about a skinflint...

Bob trying to get out of paying for entrees.

What happened to all those winning bets?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

talk about a skinflint...

Bob trying to get out of paying for entrees.

What happened to all those winning bets?

But SC posted "And you can name your own quote about him actually being a First Fleeter.  Big smileWink". so rather than take those odds, I said he could pay for entrees by proving he was a first fleeter. then SC added "ps you're still majorly paying for lunch, irrespective .  Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:53pm
Acknowledge Joe as a First fleeter.  Just need Bob to clearly demonstrate his direct family relationship with this professional thief of yore (eg a 230-odd year family tree) Wink

And if and when he does so I'll most certainly be happy to pay for the Creme Brulee.  Tongue

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:13pm
SC, I do not know about you, but I eat creme brulee as dessert, not as an entree. Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:19pm
Ok Bob, if it's entree rather than dessert will be more than happy to pay for your cuisses de grenouilles. Smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Why it would have ever been there is anyones guess. This is parliament not church. 

As it  is "a parliament not a church"  Lines abandons the Lord's Prayer but will persist with "the acknowledgement of the country" even though not all of us are indigenous. Identity politics divides Australia.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:59am
Yes.
Ackowledgement to country is getting very wokey, even cringeing.
I much prefer JACINTA PRICES take on things.
Much more practical and understand.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 1:14pm
Bob, what is the point of the Lord's Prayer in a parliamentary context?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:12pm

At the beginning of each sitting day in the Senate and House of Representatives prayers are read. This is done because these prayers are part of the rules the Standing Orders of the Senate and House. Prayers are not read at the start of a sitting day in the Federation Chamber, the second meeting room of the House. The Federation Chamber is essentially a debating committee, established to be an alternative venue to the Chamber of the House for debate of a restricted range of business.

Senators and members of the House of Representatives are not required to be present or participate in the prayers. There have been several attempts by senators and members of the House of Representatives to change the Standing Orders to replace the prayers with an opportunity for personal prayer or reflection. In voting against this change, some senators and members have argued the prayers at the beginning of each sitting day are a long standing and non-partisan tradition which re-affirms their commitment to the common good of Australia.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:20pm
What about the 38% plus Australians who have no religious beliefs?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:26pm
I suppose our founding fathers thought the reading of the Lord's Prayer was appropriate "to re-affirm their commitment to the common good of Australia" rather than any alternative in 1901. It has done Australia no harm in those 121 years.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:29pm
Does saying a prayer make them less likely to rort or cheat?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:55pm
 exactly.

I wouldn't turn up until after it is read.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:55pm

I suppose our founding fathers thought the reading of the Lord's Prayer was appropriate "to re-affirm their commitment to the common good of Australia" rather than any alternative in 1901. It has done Australia no harm in those 121 years.

Do you think it is time the American Constitution was applied or interpreted as it would have been in 1787 ? 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>