Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wokeness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I think we have too many public holidays. It can go if they like.

As you would expect, they don't want to do away with the public holiday just another date. 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 3:43pm
Will a new public holiday be created to commemorate this Indigenous recognition stuff?
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:13pm
 I am of English/ Irish heritage , (tracing back to a convict on the First Fleet ). If my forebear was not on that fleet I would not be here today, therefore Australia Day is very important to me, as an alternative, if Australia Day is dumped why not a public holiday for St Patricks Day for us of Irish heritage.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:16pm
As a fellow Irish descendant I'll take that St Pattys holiday
Time is a flat circle
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:20pm
Yeah, that’s a great idea.
Then we can have another to commemorate those with Vietnamese ties, and another with Indian heritage, let’s also make Chinese New Year a public holiday.
Etc,etc,etc

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:22pm
Given it’s the woke thread, Bobbie, why don’t we also make Mardi Gras a National holiday!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:23pm
Have a public holiday for every nationality represented here. Maybe the top 20 anyway. 

Happy China Day(6th) will go down well with some here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:44pm
So we all agree , there should be NO holiday for Indigenous Day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:11pm
Not at all Bobbie!!

It’s assumed by all,that Indigenous day is a given!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

That's actually quite funny. sperm producing unit

Adam Bandt is such a f*ckwit LOL

I can't sstop laughingg.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:36pm

Honestly when I read 'dad of two' I thought it was gonna be him and 2 dogs LOL

splutter, splutter...ClapClapLOLLOL
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:39pm
[QUOTE=acacia alba]Even worse, he is allowed to breed Sick

/QUOTE]

we could run a comedy show on here. 

ClapLOLClapLOLWink
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:45pm

As a fellow Irish descendant I'll take that St Pattys holiday

double that for me. Plus a quarter of Pom and a quarter of Scot.

When you have Irish blood, every day can be a holiday...

Beer

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:12pm
Just gotta be careful of the sun 
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Not at all Bobbie!!

It’s assumed by all, that Indigenous day is a given!
Not by me, I want to keep Australia Day and if they weaken and give into an Indigenous Day, there should be a St Patricks Day for those of Irish heritage a St Andrews Day for the Scottish as well as a few others for the Vietnamese, Indian , etc etc. They concept for an Indigenous Day replacing Australia Day is a joke , what will happen to that feature race at Moonee Valley on AD  ? Don't tell me they can run it later on Indigenous Day because horses set for the Flemington Autumn and the Sydney Autumn Carnival will have their programs interrupted. Also the picnics at Balnarring, the highlight of the picnic circuit in Victoria , will miss out.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 12:50am
 the whole point is...if they change the date, will it change the protester's mind-set?

NO, IT WON'T.  They'll still bitch about their country being taken over.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:40am
Maybe Albo should call for referenda on not only Indigenous recognition but also the date of Australia Day and whether to get rid of the Poms as head of state and a flag change.

Get it all over with in one big Band-Aid rip.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 10:37am
Nobody that I know of is saying get rid of Australia day and replace it with Indigenous day, except maybe the Sky divide and sh1t stir mob.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Nobody that I know of is saying get rid of Australia day and replace it with Indigenous day, except maybe the Sky divide and sh1t stir mob.
Today the Melbourne City Council has come out suggesting to get rid of AD because it is too divisive. I do not know how a few token gestures by condescending urban activists is going to alter the outcomes of the health and domestic violence of the indigenous in remote communities.
How many of the councillors at the MCC disclosed, as part of their election platform, doing away with AD, when they sought the votes of ratepayers and citizens at the last council election ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 12:52pm
"Today the Melbourne City Council has come out suggesting to get rid of AD because it is too divisive."

I strongly doubt they said that.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:04pm
Sally Capp, Lord Major of MCC, is quoted of having said " AD has become divisive and public sentiment is changing that Australia's national day should be changed to a date to unify all Australians " . Sounds to me she wants to dump AD. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:11pm
No one I know wants it changed.  Most in these parts want to keep the day , but are happy for the indig to have a day se[erate , if they want to.  But dont we already have a reconciliation day somewhere in the year ?Confused
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:14pm
Change does not mean get rid of.

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:15pm
"...Australia's national day should be changed to a date to unify all Australians".

That doesn't sound like desire to dump AD.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
Dump the date not the day. ?  I and thousands of descendants from that First Fleet, owe our existence to the arrival of that fleet on 26th January 1788 not to some other date. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:27pm
Put it to a vote. I guarantee the majority will be 'leave it as is' or 'don't care'
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:32pm
Last night at a council meeting all but one of the councillors present at the meeting voted in favour of the motion to ditch the celebration of AD within the City of Melbourne.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Dump the date not the day. ?  I and thousands of descendants from that First Fleet, owe our existence to the arrival of that fleet on 26th January 1788 not to some other date. 

What about the millions who were either here first or emigrated from countries around the world post WW2.  Descendants of the latter comprising more than 50% of the population.  You reckon your criminal forebears have precedence?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:37pm
"Last night at a council meeting all but one of the councillors present at the meeting voted in favour of the motion to ditch the celebration of AD within the City of Melbourne. "

No they didn't.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:37pm
City of Melbourne is one of 500 odd councils who have no power over anything to do with the date. They may choose to not have any celebrations in their council area, but it means chit overall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>