Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Liberals/Nats in Opposition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:02am
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:48am

Putting in Dutton to move the Liberal party even further to the right completely misses the point. If Dutton is seen as the answer what the hell is the question? This move will not bring us back.
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:49am
 Looking at that list, the Libs are very short on talent...

Edited by Gay3 - 23 May 2022 at 12:48pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:52am
Most of their ''stars'' particularly moderates were booted on Saturday. Only right wing cookers left.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:53am
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

You know how I could answer that second post, JJ.

well...gee...you tell us that you are educating your students about the election...but then say you didn't even take notice of half of what was going on...and then didn't vote...

here's a few more...

LOLLOLLOL
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:24pm

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/finance-news/2022/05/23/climate-change-gillard-election-alan-kohler/

Any political party anywhere still pushing for the burning of fossil fuels in 2025 will be ridiculed and unelectable.

And by the way, the latest refrain of the anti-warmists in News Corp and the National Party is that nothing Australia does can affect the temperature of the planet because our emissions are tiny compared with China, the US and Europe.

The seed of the Liberals’ downfall

Quite true, but it’s the litterbug defence: It’s just one coffee cup, officer, no real harm done. Any politician who seriously tries that one will be looking for a job as a Murdoch opinion writer.

The Coalition gave up the ghost on climate change in September 2018 when two weeks after he took over as leader, Scott Morrison dumped the National Energy Guarantee developed by Josh Frydenberg – the last vestige of an effective policy.

In doing that, and refusing to legislate the Paris emissions-reduction target, Morrison set the Liberal Party on a course for electoral disaster.

He should have lost in 2019 but Bill Shorten frightened the nation’s retirees with the loss of franking credits. That election was like 1993, which John Hewson should have won but managed to lose with Fightback! and his plan for a GST.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:14pm
 Shorten also had that 'rape' accusation hanging over his head. I talked to a lot of voters who said they'd never vote for him, because of it. This was an interesting take on it...

Why the Shorten and Porter cases are different — and why that’s not the point

Our system of justice does not stand still. It evolves with us, and we need to remember that.

At the last federal election, I voted for the Labor candidate in my electorate. I am not a member of any party. I voted Labor, because it at least promised some policies to give our planet a fighting chance.

I did not know at that time of the rape allegations against Bill Shorten, which I now know he has strenuously denied. I am not sure why I didn’t know. Partly, Shorten’s case was reported differently in the media than in the case of the allegations against Christian Porter. Porter also strenuously denies the allegations against him.

I was also busy, with a young family, work and life generally. Would I have voted for Labor, if I had know about the allegations against Shorten, the police investigation, and the outcome of that investigation? I’m not totally sure, but probably yes.

It would not, however, have been a vote for Shorten. That is contradictory, but again, my one concern at the last election (and continuing) is stopping the denialism about the climate catastrophe that is staring us all in the face.

Does Shorten’s case provide a valid precedent with respect to the current allegations against Porter? No. This is not because of the differences between the two cases that some media and commentators have identified, such as Shorten having been questioned by police and Porter having not.

It is not a valid precedent because our society, the values we hold, and our system of justice do not stand still. If they did, a husband would still have a defence in law to a charge of raping his wife.

The fundamental difference, the shift that has occurred, is that we no longer accept that the inability to prosecute and prove beyond reasonable doubt a charge of sexual assault means that such allegations should either not be raised or, if raised, not be seriously investigated in a civil context, particularly when fitness for public office is concerned.

As a lawyer, there are a number of things I do not understand about the statements made by Porter at the press conference he gave last week. Surely he must have known that this is not (and never was nor could have been, given the woman took her life before giving a formal statement to NSW Police) about his presumption of innocence to a criminal charge. 

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:20pm

Bridget Archer considering tilt for spot on federal Liberal leadership team after Josh Frydenberg's election loss

Outspoken Tasmanian MP Bridget Archer says she is considering putting her hand up to become the next leader or deputy leader of the Liberal Party.

Key points:

• Ms Archer says she "certainly will consider" throwing her hat in the ring for a leadership role
  • Peter Dutton, Karen Andrews and Dan Tehan are also names being thrown about for leadership
  • Veteran Tasmanian senator Eric Abetz, who is fighting to retain his seat, believes it is too early for Ms Archer to take on a leadership role

Ms Archer — who is considered likely to retain her difficult-to-win seat of Bass — will be one of few moderate voices left in the party room after formerly blue seats like Kooyong and Goldstein were won by so-called teal independents.

Asked on ABC Radio Hobart whether she would throw her hat in the ring for a leadership role, Ms Archer said she "certainly will give it some consideration".

"I think I'll just have to wait until the party room meets to see what the final make-up is of the party room, talk to some colleagues and things like that," Ms Archer said.

"I care about where we go to next. I care that we do learn some lessons from this and return to the best interests of Australians and put ideological considerations aside … I will do everything I can to fight to ensure it remains the Liberal Party."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:29pm
Bridget Archer was one of 5 Liberal members who threatened to cross the floor to kill Morrison's Religious Discrimination Bill that wasn't going to protect LGBTQI or trans people from being vilified. Morrison punished them all by not supporting them in this election. Archer was the only one of the 5 to hold her seat.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:43pm
Cut off his nose to spite his face?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:48pm
Doubled down by captain's picking Katherine Deves to help get rid of the Sydney ones, Zimmerman, Sharma and Martin. They pleaded with him to dump Deves but he refused and they all sunk anong with Katie Allen in Victoria. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:03pm
Fun fact: 18 seats have changed hands so far. Libs have won zero of them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:48pm
Wonder what Mark McGowan really thinks of Spuddo?

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:03pm
 hahaha..."he's an extremist and I don't think he's that smart....not much there..."

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

You know how I could answer that second post, JJ.

well...gee...you tell us that you are educating your students about the election...but then say you didn't even take notice of half of what was going on...and then didn't vote...

here's a few more...

LOLLOLLOL

True.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Bridget Archer was one of 5 Liberal members who threatened to cross the floor to kill Morrison's Religious Discrimination Bill that wasn't going to protect LGBTQI or trans people from being vilified. Morrison punished them all by not supporting them in this election. Archer was the only one of the 5 to hold her seat.

Archer clearly has no chance of leading the Libs, and a senior shadow position is similarly unlikely - and she knows this full well. What she's rather doing imo (apart from perhaps aiming for a minor opposition portfolio) is making an implicit statement about Women in the Party and the need for that Party to again become a "broad church", one accepting of well-argued dissent on issues of conscience.

Best of luck Bridget, given the likely Masculine Warmonger as leader of the Liberals.  Dead

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:08pm
Yes it was more that the way moderates were dropping, if the party wants to modify it's direction, she may be the only option. 
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:53pm
The spud is in - he has the numbers. Could be a long time in the wilderness with this nasty bit of work leading them up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:03pm
Spud and Barnyard...how can they go wrong?
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:27pm
Interesting that those on the left centre on this forum want to bag Dutton. Why might that be so ? Because they all know Dutton will take on the ALP head on and will stand up for centre right policies, not the wishy washy policies that the Liberals took to the election, and we all know how that finished up.

Of all the Liberals who lost their seats the majority were from the left of the Liberal Party. Zimmerman, Sharma, Allen, Wilson and even Frydenberg was of the left, whereas those of the right held their held their seats , Hastie, Dutton and Hamilton are examples.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:29pm
 All strength to him Bob, I really hope he gets the gig.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:36pm
All those of the (Liberal) Left?  Shocked.  Bob you have absolutely no f*cking idea.  

And I'm holding you here to a Bob-funded lunch, rather sooner than later.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:36pm
PT, he is odds on, glad to see he has your supportWink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

All those of the (Liberal) Left?  Shocked.  Bob you have absolutely no f*cking idea.  

And I'm holding you here to a Bob-funded lunch, rather sooner than later.

Unlike that post, I hope you limit your swearing at that luncheon, I am rather reserved.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:41pm
 Alan Tudge retained his seat with it being declared today. What happens now that he doesn't have Morrison to protect him? Will a new Lib leader do the same?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:48pm
Just accept and pay up as agreed Bob. Otherwise I might well express another less favorable colloquialism. Wink 
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Interesting that those on the left centre on this forum want to bag Dutton. Why might that be so ? Because they all know Dutton will take on the ALP head on and will stand up for centre right policies, not the wishy washy policies that the Liberals took to the election, and we all know how that finished up.

Of all the Liberals who lost their seats the majority were from the left of the Liberal Party. Zimmerman, Sharma, Allen, Wilson and even Frydenberg was of the left, whereas those of the right held their held their seats , Hastie, Dutton and Hamilton are examples.
I want to bag him cos he’s a FRNJ, the feral few he represents,have been a scourge on our society for a decade.They want to rule for the very few against the interests of the vast majority of the population.

The thing in his favour, is that appears we’ll be jailing quite a few of his colleagues before it’s his turn….

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I want to bag him cos he’s a FRNJ, the feral few he represents,have been a scourge on our society for a decade.They want to rule for the very few against the interests of the vast majority of the population.

The thing in his favour, is that appears we’ll be jailing quite a few of his colleagues before it’s his turn….

my turn ???? Do you mean Dutton ?
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:59pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

“the feral few” - LOL - clueless ! The LNP still got the largest single Primary vote - more than the Greens , more than the combines Teals & yes - more than the ALP

Get a grip pls Rusty - now your just being silly
Refer ALP Election Promises
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>