Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Queensland winter carnival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:19pm
Will respond post-race.  Wink

Though more importantly it gives ne the total sh1ts that the 10,00 is now raced over 1200 rather than the tradition 1350m 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:06pm
was 3/5 lame on Saturday, poor bugger needs a spell.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Isn't it time to give poor old Shelby SixtySix a rest?

Was sent to Brisbane in the hope that they'd get a heavy track to suit at Doomben, which is less likely across the road, I agree, they should have just turned him around when it was moved.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Will respond post-race.  Wink

Though more importantly it gives ne the total sh1ts that the 10,00 is now raced over 1200 rather than the tradition 1350m 

I agree, it's changed the complexion of the 10,000 completely.

I get they want 3 successive Saturdays of G1 racing at Eagle Farm but surely I actually reckon the 4 big sprints would work better for progession if they went Victory Stakes (1200) Kingsford Smith (1300) Doomben 10,000 (1350) Stradbroke (1400) with the Kingsford Smith and 10,000 days swapping places, I know that'd mean some of the other races would need to be shuffled around again but that is achievable, perhaps even as simply as the 10,000 running on Doomben Cup day.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:07am
Okay the NZers have been mucking around up until now tomorrow they are hitting the targets with the big guns. 

Race 2 sees Waller have two hopes but I like Sikandarabad each way there.

Race 3 looks like the Waller benefit. Our Intrigue looks well placed.

Race 4 Startantes looks the bet of the day but the NZer El Vecendor has a bit of a boom on him.

Race 5 Tony Pike's 2yo's are well respected and in a race which sees the favorites with convictions, they can run well.

race 6 sees the NZ arsenal climb a notch. Babylon Berlin is a very smart mare. Iconic Star is no slouch and looks overs to me while the mare she defeated last start Letzbeglam is coming here second up of an 18 month spell, but her 3yo spring form around Swats that and Written Beauty is good enough to win here.

Race 7 sees Dark Destroyer, Pinarello and Rauch hold up the NZ ensign as they challenge Character, Ashgrove and Verona.

Race 8 sees the topline sprinting mare Entriviere take on the group 1 field. Her best is good enough to win here but she has no heavy track form.

All in all a nice days racing.  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:54am
Like voyager says, R3 looks like a Waller benefit but I prefer Djukon of his runners.  2nd up he was only a Len off Kukeracha last time & he franked the form in the Hollindale Cup.  3rd up & increase to 2143m looks ideal for Djukon.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:22pm
As usual Lord the one no one tips wins, Yonkers.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:39pm
Unbelievable that no official picked up on this prior to the deadline. There are heaps of instances in Vic. whereby they've double checked with stables, to ensure they have the best possible fields Confused

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:29am
Big days racing at Eagle Farm this Saturday with the G1 Doomben Cup and G2 The Roses moving across the road to Eagle Farm to join the Derby Day program with the G3 BTC Sprint also making the shift, making 3 million dollar races and 3 G1 races on the program, supported by 2 G2 events, 4 G3s and a Listed race it makes for the biggest day of group racing on a single card for the day outside of Sydney and Melbourne for the year.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:15pm
I do not give a lot of praise to stewards, but great work Clap

It means the Oaks fillies have to back up the next week from The Roses, which might be a little prep hurdle, but I like the decision.

My understanding is that they have postponed some of the other races off last weeks card to later in the carnival.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:27pm

Plane shortage reaches crisis point

A COVID surge across Asia is wreaking havoc on the racing industry in Australia, with the virus causing a dire shortage of planes capable of transporting horses around the country.

Just days out from the Group 1 Queensland Derby at Eagle Farm, the transport saga will likely see leading Godolphin-trained chance Alegron unable to take his place in the race due to difficulties in flying to Queensland.

Cathay Pacific has axed its weekly Hong Kong to Melbourne service which, according to Air Horse Transport's Chris Calthorpe, has had major flow-on affects.

"It's basically caused by COVID in a nutshell. It's very restrictive, it's a whole different scenario from what it was even 18 months ago," Calthorpe said.

"Cathay Pacific used to come into Melbourne every Tuesday, and we used to go to Toowoomba every Tuesday, and that's been canned because COVID is supposedly rife in Hong Kong.

"The airlines are very protective of their crews, when they fly there's only two people on the plane, the captain and the first officer.

"A lot of the airlines if they can limit that interaction, there's still a lot of COVID going around and they've got to keep their network going. It's flowing down the food chain and affecting us."

Calthorpe says a resolution to the situation could be reached by the end of this week, but it will likely be too late for connections hoping to have horses run in Queensland this weekend.

"It's running out of time for a lot of people, it's been very frustrating," he said.

"By the end of this week hopefully we can have something in place, and we might be able to get a flight next week and the week after.

"They'll (airlines) do their best to help us out next week, but if anything changes, horses will be the first to go. They're not high on people's priority list."

The lack of flight options has seen prices soar for those fortunate enough to secure a spot on a plane.

"The costs have gone through the roof with fuel prices and everything, you're looking at the moment to pay $9000 to fly a horse from Melbourne to Brisbane," Calthorpe said.

And it isn't just a problem getting horses north, with flights across the Nullarbor also in short supply.

"At the moment you can go Perth to Melbourne, but you'll struggle to get horses back Melbourne to Perth," Calthorpe said.

"It's very much hit and miss at the moment, and it all seems to be misses."

South Australian trainer David Jolly has revealed transport issues as one reason why Behemoth will not travel to Queensland this winter, while Michael Kent Jnr shared those concerns regarding Lombardo's potential Stradbroke venture.

Meanwhile Perth-based trainer Dan Morton has also revealed difficulties in getting mare Kissonallforcheeks home to Western Australia due to the lack of flights.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 2:49am
Okay we are hitting the pointy end of the carnival tomorrow so lets see how the 10 good races look.

Race 1 The Roses. Placed here from last week and it looks a good field. No.1 Barb Raider is coming off an unlucky loss, but she looks well placed at the set weights. No.3 Gin Martini, No.5 Stalking and No.9 Smirk all come through the Bracelet on the gold coast and they all are genuine hopes. No.2 Biscayne Bay looks well placed 3rd up here at the 2100m and I like No.10 Le Villi here although the 2400m should suit better next week. Main bet No.1 Barb Raider, save on No.3 Gin Martini, No.5 Stalking and each way No.2 Biscayne Bay and No.10 Le Villi.

Race 2 Premiers Cup. No.3 Steel Prince won well last start and although he is up in class he can run well. No.8 Stardome won well on the gluey track at the Gold Coast, and he should receive a similar run here and he can go close. I have a lot of time for No.4 Flash Aah but his record at Eagle farm is not good and he will need luck from the gate. No.6 Swords Drawn raced well at the Gold Coast and he meets the winner 3 kilos better here. Main bet No.8 Stardome, save on No.3 Steel Prince, No.4 Flash Aah and No.6 Swords Drawn.

Race 3 Lord Mayor's Cup. No.4 Zayddani was outclassed behind Zaaki last start (but ran okay) and I would have preferred her at 2000m, but she looks well placed class wise. No.7 Bigboyroy is in good form but he steps up in class here while No.2 Hungry Heart needs it dry but her run on the heavy last start was good for her and she might be able to get close on her class alone. Main bet No.4 Zayddani, save on No.2 Hungry Heart and No.7 Bigboyroy.

Race 4 BRC Sires Produce. he will not get the run but if he does No.22 Political Debate is clearly the top rater. Fantastic run last start and if he runs here he looks like the 1400m is right in his distance range. No.1 Twin Stars won well last start in Adelaide and got close to a smart 2yo before that at 1200m. No.8 Thelwell always starts at good prices and although he has only won one he always seems to run well. Expecting No.5 Capital Tower to improve here second up out to the 1400m. No.10 Resonator is talented and he will run well. No reason No.2 Swiss Exile can not win again and No.16 Exo Lady should get every hope from the gate. No.15 Robusto not hopeless out to the 1400m. Main bet No.1 Twin Stars, save on No.5 Capital Towers, No.10 Resonator and each way No.8 Thelwell.

Race 5 Doomben Cup. No.1 Zaaki is clearly the one to beat. No.9 Polly Grey, No.3 Kukeracha and No.2 The Chosen One are all place hopes. Main bet No.3 & No.9 for the place.

Race 6 Fred Best Classic. Good strong field here with a couple looking towards the Stradbroke. No.1 Alpine Edge ran on nicely very late in the 10,000 and if he can use the gate to sit a little closer he can run well. No.16 Startantes will be better on a soft track. No.5 Flying Crazy has looked sensational at his last two and he won well here two back. No.11 Meritable just got to far back on a track where that was not ideal. He will do the same here but the extra 200m suits better and there is good speed so if he can sit closer over the 1400m he will finish hard. No.2 Prince Of Boom outnodded a classy Kiwi last start and he should get every hope from the gate here, while No.18 Bulloo is not hopeless. The hopes do not stop there with Battleton, Arentee and Ranch Hand all with claims. Main bet No.16 Startantes, save on No.2 Prince Of Boom and each way No.1 Alpine Edge and No.11 Meritable.

Race 7 BRC Sprint. This has been a good race for up and comers over the years and I can see No.16 Taksu fits the bill. He is going well in lower grade but steps up here however he will get a great run from his gate and get every hope. No.15 Gospodin was very good at Gosford and was beaten by one of the best rides of the month. No.5 Soxagon has a terrific record at the track and his win on the Gold coast, admittedly in a lesser class, was awesome. Second up form not as good as his fresh form but he will adopt the same tactics and get every hope. No.6 Buffalo River gets conditions to suit and I think 1300m is ideal. I am not against the form from The Archer and all of those runners except Gem Song who are here can run well with No.3 Emerald Kingdom the best of them. Main bet No.16 Taksu, save on No.5 Soxagon, No.6 Buffalo River and No.15 Gospodin.

Race 8 Queensland Derby. No.2 Dark Destroyer and No.12 Paternal are the best from the local lead ups. No.5 Pinarello has the class but that barrier has me worried. The best of the locals is No.7 Southern Stock, while No.9 Sea Treasures and No.10 Ting Tong come through a strong 3yo event in Sydney. No.17 Nest Egg has been disappointing since coming from NZ, but he has looked like a horse looking for the 2400m and he could be the big improver at odds (he did beat Pinarello home in the NZ Derby). Main bet No.2 dark Destroyer, save on No.12 Paternal, No5 Pinarello and each way No.15 Nest Egg.

Race 9 Kingsford-Smith Cup. Good strong group 1 field here! I like the form this prep of No.3 Ellsberg. Great run fresh, beaten by a cracking heavy track Victorian, great run in the Doncaster and was very good against two genuine group 1 WFA gallopers in the All Aged Stakes last start. Handles all conditions, his best distance range is the 1300m/1400m range and I think the current $23.00 is the overs in the race. The two favs No.12 Entriviere and No.13 Paulele are genuine hopes. No.1 Private Eye had problems in the Doncaster so forget that, group 1 placed at 1300m fresh in the Canterbury Stakes in a race controlled by those upfront. There is a lack of early speed here which is against but he can run well. No.5 Apache Chase loves this track and he will be along with No.7 Rothfire on speed. I know a lot of form students have put the pen through Rothfire but I am willing to give him one more chance in a race where he will get every hope. If the track stays in the soft range No.2 Laws Of Indices can run well while No.9 Signore Fox always seems to run well when I dismiss him so I will be with him here in a race that suits and where he ran well last year. Main bet No.13 Paulele, save on No.12 Entriviere, each way No.1 Private Eye, No.3 Ellsberg (for bigger stake), No.5 Apache Chase and No.7 Rothfire.

Race 10 Helen Coughlin Quality. This is a very tough race to finish off with. No.20 Tahitian Dancer looks well placed and she can continue from her last start. No.10 Juan Diva was just too far back last start and she can go close here. No.1 Babylon Berlin is too good to dismiss off one run, No.3 Written Beauty won brilliantly last start and can run well again while No.5 Salateen will give a show. The best roughie for me is No.4 Dirty Thoughts who ran well for us in the Takeover Target when she just got too far back. She has a good late surge when she is right and I can see her getting close at the end. Main bet No.20 Tahitian Dancer, save on No.10 Juan Diva, No.1 Babylon Berlin and each way No.4 Dirty Thoughts.            

Good luck to all investors!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 12:59am
A good days racing ahead at Eagle farm so lets see who are the ones to stay away from and who are the ones to back.

Race 1 Oxlade Stakes. Tough race to begin the day with. I like No.9 Shaquila back on a drier track. No.1 Calgary Stampede and No.5 Metallicity are the dangers with No.13 Mink's Star also a hope despite the barrier. Main bet No.9 Shaquila, save on No.1 Calgary Stampede and No.5 Metallicty.

Race 2 Wayne Wilson Stakes. No.3 Bigboyroy and No.7 Bullfinch are in career best form and so they are definite hopes. No.2 Kirwans Lane is a top miler and No.1 Scallopini is going well but the 1600m is a concern. Main bet No.3 Bigboyroy, save on No.2 Kirwans Lane and No.7 Bullfinch.

Race 3 Brisbane Cup. No.4 Sweet Thomas is in career best form. He has never been a good horse under 3200m but his last two runs have been very very good and out to his pet distance just off the group 1 grade suits. No.7 The Fearless One looks an up and coming New Zealander and on breeding 3200m will be no problem, good run last start, while No.1 King Of Leongrance was good last start and he is the class of the field. Main bet No.4 Sweet Thomas, save on No.1 King Of Leongrance and No.7 The Fearless One.

Race 4 Gunsynd Classic. Whole lot of questions here about the 1600m. I like No.7 Ashgrove here. Great run behind Character and Dark Destroyer in the Guineas and just did not run the 2100m out last start. Gets a lovely run and at double figures he is a great hope. No.1 Kiss Sum was good in the Fred Best last start while No.4 Loch Eagle looks on track for the 1600m and No.3 Battleton for me is the best horse in the race and he could quite easily win. Main bet No.7 Ashgrove and save on No.1 Kiss Sum and No.3 Battleton.

Race 5 Hinkler Handicap. Again we have a very difficult race to assess. I am with the Waller 3yo's No.5 Ranch Hand and No.9 Shaquero. Both will be better on the dry with Shaquero being the best suited. No.1 Tycoonist ran well late with not much room latest and he drops in grade here. No.3 Blondeau and No.8 Ranges also hopes. Main bet No.5 Ranch Hand and save on No.9 Shaquero and No.1 Tycoonist.

Race 6 Q22. No.3 Huetor can go on with it from his last start win. No.1 The Chosen One out to the 2200m and No.9 Maximal look capable of turning the tables. No.4 Numerian is on the up and he is a danger while No.14 Esti Feny ran a good race last start and from the gate I am expecting him to sit closer this time. Main bet No.3 Huetor, save on No.1 The Chosen One, No.4 Numerian and No.9 Maximal and each way No.14 Esti Feny.

Race 7 J.J.Atkins. While I think No.16 Sheeza Belter is a definite winning hope she has a lot of history to overcome with no horse doing the Sires/Atkins double recently, and the form behind her not as good as that coming here from other directions. No.4 Political Debate and No.10 Sharp N Smart do not have a lot between them and I was taken with the NZ'ers effort to just miss last saturday. If he backs up he can turn the tables. No.9 Owen County brings different form and while he steps up in grade he can go well out to the 1600m. No.6 Brosnan has been looking for the 1600m at his last three runs so he looks well placed and he comes here after a strong win at Flemington while No.12 Basquiat won the race on Monday at 1600m that Political Debate was nominated for and I like that he has ahd that run at 1600m. No.1 Brereton and No.15 Lethal Thoughts are not hopeless, but for me they are only place chances. Main bet No.10 Sharp N SMart, save on No.16 Sheeza Belter, No.6 Brosnan and No.9 Owen County and each way No.No.12 Basquiat.

Race 8 Stradbroke. As usual an extremely difficult race to assess but lets see what we have. For me there 3 categories. The winning hopes, those who are each way hopes and those who can not win. The genuine winning hopes are No.3, No.4, No.6, No.9, 13, No.15, No.17, No., with No.9 and No.15 the better hopes. The each way hopes are No.1, No.2, No.5, No.7, No.11, No.14, with the top two from that group No.1 and No.7 and the rest for me are fourth and fifth hopes at best. Main bet No.15 Isotope, save on No.1 Private Eye, No.2 Laws Of Indices, No.4 Eleven Eleven, No.9 Rothfire and each way No.13 Niccanova  and No.17 Vilana.

Race 9 Dane Ripper. Hard to go past No.15 Najmaty on her last run. Dry tracks the key to her. No.3 Writen Beauty and No.4 Bring The Ransom come here off good wins while No.11 Tycoon Evie and No.13 Mariamia are improvers. No.10 Letzbeglam is well drawn and gets every hope here. Main bet No.15 Najmaty save on No.10 Letzbeglam, No.3 Bring The Ransom, No.3 Written Beauty and each way No.11 Tycoon Evie.

Good luck everyone and many winners to all investors!      
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 5:48pm
Hope the last few races can change your luck Voyager. Been tough up to now
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 5:51pm
I’m on Isotope and Written Beauty 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12