Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 60>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:17pm
My brother was in charge at that time.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:19pm
I only started going there because a friend of my father Ken McMorrow had a management position and he gave me a heap of buffet vouchers. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:35pm
 who was the friend? lol.

Big smile
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:35pm
 you need some commas in that sentence...

LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:41pm
My comma button and my apostrophe button dont work most times.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:04am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I had a nice Sunday roast at the Chooks' leagues club...on Sunday. lol.

The food is good there. We go fairly regularly. While I'm eating, I consider that I'm probably keeping Viktor and Joey on the books. Or possibly financing the next steal from Souths. 

Evil Smile

Went to the Magpies Leagues Club at Ashfield about 23 years ago and they had I swear I am not joking, the best Chinese I had while I lived in Sydney.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:45am
I read somewhere last week the amount pokies are plundering yearly in the LGA Canterbury League's Club are in - $870 million I think it was last financial year. Humungus - far more than any other LGA.

Not all of that was at Canterbury League's but I bet they took the lion's share.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:50am

The last data from Liquor and Gaming NSW shows there are 10,617 poker machines in the top 20 NSW clubs. 

Of the top three, Bankstown Sports Club had the highest number of EGMs in the state at 745, followed by Rooty Hill RSL Club with 710, and Canterbury Leagues Club in Belmore with 699. 

Panthers Penrith Rugby League Club is in fourth place with 625 EGMs, followed by Mounties at Mount Pritchard with 10 less at 615. 

http://clubtic.com.au/gaming/top-20-egm-clubs-in-nsw-named/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:58am
I got my figures wrong. These are horrendous enough.

"Last year gross poker machine losses in the Canterbury Bankstown council area were $562 million, more than any other local government in NSW. Next highest was neighbouring Fairfield council with losses of $527 million. Census data released in June shows Fairfield and Canterbury Bankstown had the lowest median household incomes of the 32 local government areas across the Sydney basin. There are almost 5000 poker machines within the Canterbury Bankstown council area and more than 3800 in Fairfield council."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/pokies-swallow-135-billion-in-nsw-which-sydney-areas-spend-most-20220731-p5b622.html

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 12:19pm
Mind-boggling figures. How many people live in that LGA? Must be a fair amount lost per-capita.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I read somewhere last week the amount pokies are plundering yearly in the LGA Canterbury League's Club are in - $870 million I think it was last financial year. Humungus - far more than any other LGA.

Not all of that was at Canterbury League's but I bet they took the lion's share.

I won sixty bucks at Easts, after my Sunday roast. Won twenty on the Sunday before that. Close to a miracle.

A lot of those Dover Heights ladies, who sit at the same machines every time they go to Chook headquarters, lose two to three hundred at a time. I've spoken to them. They keep going, no matter how much they lose. 

I'll tell you a little secret. Only play the pokies on a Sunday or Tuesday. Never on Thursdays...pension day. The clubs never pay out on a Thursday. That is their day to accumulate. 

Thumbs Up

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 1:27pm
Population: 346,302 (2016 census) (4th in Australia; 1st in NSW); 373,931 (2018 est.);

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:26pm
As per gambling losses on pokies in Victoria ,the biggest losses are in the LGAs where  the lowest per capita incomes are earnt. Whenever a person wins Lotto you can bet they do not live in Toorak or Vaucluse but most likely a person residing in one of those LGAs with the biggest losses on pokies.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:22pm
 possibly because having little money, it is their only hope of improving their situation.

Dreams might come true.

Stop looking down your nose at those in poorer circumstances, Bob.

Angry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:40pm
 Tough game tonight with both sides missing key players. Your mob could drop out of the top four Bob.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm

possibly because having little money, it is their only hope of improving their situation.  Dreams might come true.  Stop looking down your nose at those in poorer circumstances, Bob.  Angry 

A reality understood by most JJ, other perhaps than older residents in North Sydney, Stonnington etc.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 8:52pm

possibly because having little money, it is their only hope of improving their situation.

Dreams might come true.

Angry
No doubt they hope they will hit the jackpot, but of course the promoters of Lotto and Pokies no exactly that, however the odds are more against the player on Lotto and Pokies than they are in other forms of gambling. For every dream that comes true, there are thousands of people who unfortunately will lose far more than they can afford.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Dreams might come true.

Angry
No doubt they hope they will hit the jackpot, but of course the promoters of Lotto and Pokies no  know exactly that, however the odds are more against the player on Lotto and Pokies than they are in other forms of gambling. For every dream that comes true, there are thousands of people who unfortunately will lose far more than they can afford.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 10:15pm
I think it is much more a case of scum taking advantage of people living in lower socio-economic being unable to process that over the long term they ALWAYS lose on the pokies, little to no exception to this rule.  If you pull $10k out of one, you have or will eventually put more than that into it.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:16pm
 yes Afros...but Bob also insinuated they waste their money on Lotto...and...guess what? they are usually the ones to win it. How's that logic?

I'd like to see Bob live for five years in a situation where he can't afford French restaurants and Grange, before he comments on how struggle street should spend their money.

Geek

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I think it is much more a case of scum  bookies taking advantage of people living in lower socio-economic being unable to process that over the long term they ALWAYS lose on the pokies horses, little to no exception to this rule.  If you pull $10k out of one, you have or will eventually put more than that into it.

What's the difference?

We are on a betting site where people continually report that if they win too much they are banned from betting by the corporations...so they can only keep betting if they lose...

Hypocrisy?

GeekThumbs Up

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:18am

yes Afros...but Bob also insinuated they waste their money on Lotto...and...guess what? they are usually the ones to win it. How's that logic?

I'd like to see Bob live for five years in a situation where he can't afford French restaurants and Grange, before he comments on how struggle street should spend their money.

Geek

They are the ones who win Lotto 90% of the times because they most likely buy 90% of the entries...simple mathematics they therefore collect 90% of the time, however that 90% of the time does not cover their aggregate losses.Sure 1 in 500 turn their life around with a Lotto win, but nothing is going to change the life of the other 499 who will never win the jackpot.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Tough game tonight with both sides missing key players. Your mob could drop out of the top four Bob.
PT, 16 to nil , WinkWink not only will they consolidate a top 4 position before the finals ..watch out , although I doubt they will win the big one.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 2:37am

Geek

They are the ones who win Lotto 90% of the times because they most likely buy 90% of the entries...simple mathematics they therefore collect 90% of the time, however that 90% of the time does not cover their aggregate losses.Sure 1 in 500 turn their life around with a Lotto win, but nothing is going to change the life of the other 499 who will never win the jackpot.

there's a song called 'But I Can Dream, Can't I?'  Have a listen to it....

Evil Smile

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:32am

Geek

So because someone wins the lotto each time, it is a good system for the players, is that your theory?

Reality is that as a collective of entrents, the people in the lotto put in more than they take out, each and every time, the only difference between lotto and pokies is the much less frequent but much larger potential returns, so there is the occasional person who ran at a profit each week.

As I have said already, pokies are just designed to transfer money from the stupid people to the owners.  if everyone approached both as a bit of fun and only used money they can afford to lose each week it wouldn't be a problem but they suck to many people who believe they can win and don't understand the probabilities are stacked against them.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:22am

Geek

there's a song called 'But I Can Dream, Can't I?'  Have a listen to it....

Evil Smile

And that is what the lottery is actually selling - dreams. Because the chance of actually winning is virtually zero. And on that point Bob is absolutely right. The people in these low socioeconomic communities would be better off using their money for something that actually helps them and their families. Playing the lottery is just another poor economic choice for them. A few people out of the millions flunking a win doesn’t change that. 
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Geek

So because someone wins the lotto each time, it is a good system for the players, is that your theory?

Reality is that as a collective of entrents, the people in the lotto put in more than they take out, each and every time, the only difference between lotto and pokies is the much less frequent but much larger potential returns, so there is the occasional person who ran at a profit each week.

As I have said already, pokies are just designed to transfer money from the stupid people to the owners.  if everyone approached both as a bit of fun and only used money they can afford to lose each week it wouldn't be a problem but they suck to many people who believe they can win and don't understand the probabilities are stacked against them.
Many describe it correctly as a poverty tax.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 11:56am
 says all these people who bet on horse-racing...and potentially lose money...

geez, I'm glad I don't have to be preached to by you'all every time I buy a powerball ticket...or have a fling on the pokies.

So many Tim Costello disciples....

Unhappy

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:09pm
I bought a ticket in that $2 billion US lottery last week. Cost $7. I didn't win.Cry

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:30pm

says all these people who bet on horse-racing...and potentially lose money...

geez, I'm glad I don't have to be preached to by you'all every time I buy a powerball ticket...or have a fling on the pokies.

So many Tim Costello disciples....

Unhappy

JJ, 99% of punters put a bit of thought into what horse they want to back, the other 1% probably bet on their so called "lucky number " like 99% of Lotto players who play their "lucky" numbers , whereas 100% of Pokie players either press a button or pull a lever. That says enough about the difference between horse racing punters and Pokie / Lotto players, don't you think ?
BTW Playing their "lucky numbers " week after week and not winning surely indicates rather than being "lucky" they are really their unlucky numbers, but I guess they have not reasoned that out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 60>