Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 60>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Is that double pay for the world's best prop? That makes him the highest paid player in the NRL now.Wink
Cant see how 20k per game goes close to him being the highest paid player in the game Tiaz. 
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:38pm
 try losing players like Eric Simms, Michael Cleary, Ray Branighan, Denis Pittard, Bobby Grant, Ron Coote, Paul Sait, Bobby McCarthy, John O'Neill, Elwyn Walters and John Sattler.

Then you can complain.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:39pm
Plenty of players on $40k a game. Fair bit for an average prop though.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:45pm
When all said and done , they wouldn't get half that in the hand imo.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:54pm
A few on here always have something "in the hand" Carioca LOL 
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Well my comments about the SOO and players returning to their club team was borne out last night. Storm had players returning from all different time zones  ( NZ & WA ) 4 days to play and they were way below par and of course they missed Munster, whose shoulder had not recovered from that shoulder charge from Crichton in the WA SOO game.

Four in Storm's opening team would not get a game in a pink fit if their full list was fit and available, one bloke used as a fill in had not played First Grade rugby in three years.

Sensibly it has been said SOO will no longer be played on a Sunday as there is insufficient days before club games on the following Thursday.

whinge whinge whinge...

We played a second-rower who had barely even played seconds, a few weeks back.

If you buy up the best players, expect to lose them to rep football.

One year, Souths had every player bar one centre, in the country-city game...the pre-curser to SOO.

We still came out and won the next game....and the premiership.
 Evil Smile

JJ, glad to see for once, you actually read my posting Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:38pm
 I always read them, Bob. Unless they're half a page long. Then I fall asleep, halfway.

Wink

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 5:42pm

try losing players like Eric Simms, Michael Cleary, Ray Branighan, Denis Pittard, Bobby Grant, Ron Coote, Paul Sait, Bobby McCarthy, John O'Neill, Elwyn Walters and John Sattler.

Then you can complain.

I'm betting Bob doesn't have a clue who these players are.

Legends...every one...(well, maybe Ray Branighan isn't a legend, but the others would make today's players look sick)

Clap

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 6:47pm
JJ, Ok before NRL came to Victoria, I think 5/100 of Victorians would never have heard of any of those players. I might ask the same of you. Before the Sydney Swans hit NSW, had you ever heard of John Coleman, Hayden Bunton, Bob Pratt, Bob Skilton ,Dick Reynolds, all icons of Aussie rules ( they are not referred to legends in Aussie Rules, just, Hall of Famers ).  I doubt you would know of them either.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:02pm

JJ, Ok before NRL came to Victoria, I think 5/100 of Victorians would never have heard of any of those players. I might ask the same of you. Before the Sydney Swans hit NSW, had you ever heard of John Coleman, Hayden Bunton, Bob Pratt, Bob Skilton ,Dick Reynolds, all icons of Aussie rules ( they are not referred to legends in Aussie Rules, just, Hall of Famers ).  I doubt you would know of them either.

95/100 never heard of them,5/100 would have heard of them
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:11pm
Yep, 8 years in downtown Melbourne was enough for me to have rammed down my throat all day , everyday , but in the end , less was best , just a teensy weeny bit . LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:14pm
This will be a good game tonight Bob , Panthers v Chooks , soft 7 or 8 may slow it up a bit , who knows , a host of good footballers .
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:34pm
The Roosters forwards need to step up against a relentless pack.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:59pm
Great game under testing conditions imo , players played to a standstill Clap greasy ball , why pick one ? several stood out , but once again the elusive Tedesco Star played his heart out , Cleary the general , chooks make top 4 for me , and I ain't no fan . Wink
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 8:54am
Good team Carioca - however likely to be 3 games off the Top 4 by end of this round - with a bunch of good teams between them & 4th. Then only 8 games left. Would need to win at least 7 of these to have any chance imo. Storm, Broncos, Cowboys, Bunnies still to be played. Big ask
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 8:58am
I just read an idiotic article in the Daily Rupert proposing the return of Mitchell for SOO 3 based on a comparison with Michael Jordan. Well, you'd put Jordan straight in after a long break for a basketball SOO decider wouldn't you? And 2 + 2 = 5 doesn't it? It's a no-brainer.Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 9:05am
Could be 4 wins off 5th after the weekend if Eels and Sharks win, with a bye and 8 rounds to go. Very difficult.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:26pm
They may have to do it the hard way PT , but the chooks are definite 4 imo , last night convinced me of that Smile , I've got 5 into 4 Big smile panthers, storm , cowboys , chooks, and eels ( if they turn up ) Wink suuali very quiet last night , not a wet tracker ? LOL
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:26pm

Bob...I have been a Collingwood supporter since 1967. I was a huge fan of the late Len Thompson. I remember Twiggy Dunne, Des Tuddenham, the Richardson brothers, Terry Waters etc. 

I do know the last three names you put up, but not the first two.  They were long before my time. One died before I was born. Give it a break.

The names I put up, as Rugby League legends, are mostly still alive. John 'Lurch' O'Neill died a few years back. The rest played for Souths from '65 to the late seventies and are still mentioned regularly. Souths and Easts play for the Ron Coote Cup, every year.  John Sattler is revered as one of the toughest players ever...playing through nearly an entire GF with a smashed bleeding jaw. Anyone who hasn't heard of 'Satts', doesn't know Rugby League at all.

If you concentrated on something other than Storm news, you might get to know other teams' players. 

GeekEvil Smile

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:33pm

Just out of interest, Bob, have you ever heard of Dally Messenger?

or Norm Provan and Arthur Summons?

If you haven't, then your head is definitely buried in the sand of the MCG.

Ermm

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:34pm
No hope Latrell in the final SOO imo , bench a rough outside chance as a " shock " player if in deep poo? Wink
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I just read an idiotic article in the Daily Rupert proposing the return of Mitchell for SOO 3 based on a comparison with Michael Jordan. Well, you'd put Jordan straight in after a long break for a basketball SOO decider wouldn't you? And 2 + 2 = 5 doesn't it? It's a no-brainer.Big smile

Fatrell being compared to Michael Jordan...what a laugh...

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLThumbs Down

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:58pm

Ermm

Of course I know of those three, but I do have an issue knowing players outside of Storm because I find it difficult with the length of the names of all those Pacific Islanders who play for other NRL teams 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:59pm
Your not on your own there Bob. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:10pm
Pacific Islanders haven't dominated Rugby League for very long. In 1986 only .7% of first graders were Pacific Islanders. By 2016 it had risen to 48%
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:21pm
It's only since I've had my I-pad ( 12 years ) that I've gone back to RL. Ouch all that time working interstate or shift work since /67 are " lost years " , my I-pad has allowed me to do a little catch up and a little remembering . Star
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:21pm

Ermm

Of course I know of those three, but I do have an issue knowing players outside of Storm because I find it difficult with the length of the names of all those Pacific Islanders who play for other NRL teams 

yet you possibly have no problem with Nasiah Milera-Wanganeen, or Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, or Atu Bosenavulagi.  Lol. 

WinkLOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:10pm

try losing players like Eric Simms , Michael Cleary , Ray Branighan, Denis Pittard, Bobby Grant, Ron Coote, Paul Sait, Bobby McCarthy, John O'Neill, Elwyn Walters and John Sattler.

Then you can complain.

Simms - good kicker
Cleary - quick
Branighan - above average club player
Pittard - above average club player
Grant - average
Coote - great player
Sait - level below Coote
O'Neil - same as Sait
MsCarthy - great player
Elwyn Waters - average
Sattler - same as Sait & O'Neil (overrated because of broken jaw myth)

So whilst this was a great roster - JJ is biased

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:19pm
 they'd spank your lot...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:22pm
in your dreams. You just worry about fatso 

Start of a Dynasty at the foot of the mountains
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 60>