Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2022 - Official thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 11:03am
Max Gawn got more fantasy points.

but he's not a midfielder, so forget about the Brownlow, Max.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 11:04am
 easy to get Brownlow points in a team where you are the only star.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 12:57pm
North Melbourne have decided they're going to get into more fights per game than they are going to kick goals. F me they're bad.
Time is a flat circle
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:25am
Giants coach Cameron resigns, will coach farewell game - https://www.afl.com.au/news/758680
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:03pm
Clarkson?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:26am
So 30 tackles for Essendon tonight against Sydney at the SCG. That's the least amount of tackles by a team in an AFL game at the SCG since 2003. 

#SydneyVsEssendon #Round9 #SCG 
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:03pm
I may be an old woman but Charlie Curnow
Star I got a cheeky $41 for the Coleman pre season 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:12pm
 he was in all my fantasy teams from the get go.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:29pm
Melbourne first loss for the season going down to Freo at the MCG
1.6 in the second half to Fremantle 12 goals

Interesting fact re Fremantle when Lachie Schultz kicks 2 or more goals, they are unbeaten (16 from 16)

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:20pm
Sorry Shawy, but the Woods were far too good for your mob.  Well that's my story and am sticking to it.  EmbarrassedWink
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:59pm
Censored
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Sorry Shawy, but the Woods were far too good for your mob.  Well that's my story and am sticking to it.  EmbarrassedWink

they are playing well, considering. A mixture of old creaking bodies and young enthusiasm. 

Johnny Noble has been a star the last five weeks.

loved The Big Cox's game, today. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 12:58am
 What a joke, giving Oliver the trophy, today.  Accumulated possessions do not necessarily equate to being best on ground. They just mean you are around the ball more often. Considering Melbourne didn't win...and there were 26 points between the teams, a Pie player should have won. Oliver looked embarrassed receiving it.. 

Crisp, Cox, Mihocek or Elliott would have been a more worthy recipient. Cox was amazing, popping up in any number o positions and covering a lot of ground for a supposedly cumbersome big guy. When he is on song, he's good. 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 3:27pm

Polarising Collingwood big man Mason Cox has narrowly missed out on winning the inaugural Neale Daniher Trophy after a starring role in the Pies' upset win over the reigning premiers.

Cox finished with a career-high 21 disposals and eight marks while also kicking a goal, with his aerial dominance a throwback to his famous 2018 preliminary final performance.

However, despite the Magpies' dominant second half, it was Melbourne's Clayton Oliver who was selected as the best player on the park after picking up a game-high 43 disposals.

Two of the three voters on the three-man panel, AFL greats Matthew Lloyd and Cameron Ling, selected Cox as their best on ground, giving him six votes. However, the third voter, AFL.com.au reporter Josh Gabelich, did not have a single vote for Cox, instead awarding his 3-2-1 to Oliver, Nick Daicos and Brody Mihocek.

The snub was enough to give Oliver the nod with his total of seven votes narrowly edging out Cox's six.

Following his stunning performance, Cox explained how being able to play more minutes in the ruck in the absence of star big man Brodie Grundy had helped him string a number of strong games together.

"Being able to play a bit more ruck, you get a bit more of an opportunity to get your hands on it in the middle, so you get a bit more confidence," he said.

"Sometimes in the forward line you can get stuck on your own and don't get the ball for a bit and then you have to make the most of every opportunity. Being in the middle now, it opens up a bit more of an opportunity for myself."

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 9:26pm
Congrats to Tom Hawkins today, he kicked 3 goals meaning he has now joined the 700 goals club:

Players to kick 700 goals or more - VFL/AFL

1. Tony Lockett: 1,360 (281 games)

2. Gordon Coventry: 1,299 (306 games)

3. Jason Dunstall: 1,254 (269 games)

4. Doug Wade: 1,057 (267 games)

5. Gary Ablett Snr: 1,031 (248 games)

6. Lance Franklin: 1,024 (329 games)

7. Jack Titus: 970 (294 games)

8. Matthew Lloyd: 926 (270 games)

9. Leigh Matthews: 915 (332 games)

10. Peter McKenna: 874 (191 games)

11. Bernie Quinlan: 817 (366 games)

12. Matthew Richardson: 800 (282 games)

13. Kevin Bartlett: 778 (403 games)

14. Saverio Rocca: 748 (257 games)

15. Barry Hall: 746 (289 games)

16. Jack Riewoldt: 739 (316 games)

17. Stephen Kernahan: 738 (251 games)

18. Bill Mohr: 735 (195 games)

19. Wayne Carey: 727 (272 games)

20. Peter Hudson: 727 (129 games)

21. Harry Vallence: 722 (204 games)

22. Nick Riewoldt: 718 (336 games)

23. Dick Lee: 707 (230 games)

24. Josh Kennedy: 704 (288 games)

25. Matthew Pavlich: 700 (353 games)

26. Tom Hawkins: 701 (315 games)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 9:30pm
Great effort.  An Aussie Time form rating of 122.  Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:49pm
The Woods apparently displaying some spine:
Collingwood withdraws De Goey contract offer after Bali video emerges

By Michael Gleeson

Collingwood withdrew a contract offer for Jordan De Goey on the weekend in light of his embarrassing Bali nightclub video incident.

The club had (earlier) tabled an offer for De Goey of a new deal for two years with a trigger for a further two years on about $800,000 a year.

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:00pm
Yet,  Former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas says the Saints would be “derelict in their duty” not to make a massive play for Jordan De Goey as Collingwood officially withdrew a contract offer for the wayward star.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:28pm
 Considering all hiss other indiscretions, I thought this one was pretty tame.

I jusst keep wondering why he films and publicises them. 

Thick as...and over-paid for what he gives out on the field.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm
Someone said the other day that De Goey was as sharp as a rubber axe.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 9:22pm
 now Ginnivan and IQ are in the firing line...

will they never learn that social media is dangerous.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:02am
EIGHT years after he first ventured down under, Collingwood big man Mason Cox has become a citizen of his adopted country and can now officially call Australia home.
And the goggle-wearing ruck-forward, now a cult hero to the black-and-white faithful, couldn't be more proud.
"It's quite emotional," Cox said as one of 110 people who made the pledge of commitment and received their Australian citizenship at the MCG on Wednesday.
"It's been eight years to get here and it's been quite a journey along the way."
Cox freely admits he had never heard of Melbourne, or Australian football, before the opportunity arose for the then-college basketballer to try out in front of AFL talent scouts in 2014.
All the Texas native knew of Australia at that stage was kangaroos and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Now, the 31-year-old plans to spend the rest of his life here.
"(It's about) opportunity, just like a lot of people here," Cox said.
"We've got some amazing people that are refugees from different countries who have a lot better stories than I do.
"This country has provided a lot of opportunity for different people and it's a pretty amazing thing that the culture here provides.
"There's a lot of people that are willing to reach out and help each other and that's something I've definitely noticed in my time here, and I'm very proud to be a part of it."
A polarising on-field figure across his 82 games to date, Cox has shown glimpses of his match-winning potential in big games and has hit a rich vein of form in recent weeks.
He has been a key contributor in Collingwood's four-match winning streak leading into Sunday's clash with GWS and said some of the credit should go to his new coach.
"Craig (McRae) has got a different perspective than a lot of people who I've met in my lifetime and I've got a very close relationship with him, so I've got a lot of trust in him," Cox said.
"A lot of people say I usually play better whenever my family's in town and my mum and dad are here until at least July 12, so hopefully it can last at least that long and maybe a bit further.
"It's been a bit of a rollercoaster every year but I'm very excited to see what the next few games and the future holds."
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 11:13pm
 Great result for Pendles, in his 350th game for the club. Thought the result was going the way of most of these 'special' games, ruining the occasion.

He's been a great champion. No controversies, always consistent...and he didn't kill the pigeon. 

Just in case you haven't heard...he has silky skills, makes time stand still, and has a basketball background.   Big smile

Star
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:11pm
Brett Ratten is blaming team members, and particularly senior players, for recent poor performances.  Maybe justified, but no mention of the fact that the team doesn't appear to have an actual Game-Plan 101, let alone and inexcusably absent Game Plan 102 when up against it.  Delivery to their key forward a particular case in point.

Just saying.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 8:35pm
Collingwood wins its 9th on the trot, about seven by less than 10 points. Clap

And sorry Bob, at the expense of the team you once enthusiastically followed.  Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 10:22pm
Magpies have no hope of winning The Big One on that performance, after all in 10 years time no one will remember who won on the 24 July 2022. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 10:48pm
 who cares? It was a bloody ripper of a win, after nearly being umpired out of the game. 

A young gutsy team who never give up.

That's all one can ask for.

HeartHug

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 10:52pm

The first step in solving any problem is recognising there is one.

It’s time the AFL recognised they have a serious problem on their hands.

Jack Ginnivan has caused major uproar in 2022 all from his free-kick drawing abilities as he lures opponents into tackling him high.

The divisive star has had fans up in arms all season long, with opinions divided over the tactic which sees him drop at the knees and lift one arm up to ensure the tacklers arm slides around his neck.

It quickly became a major talking point with the AFL prior to round 19 putting teams and players on notice, issuing a warning that any player who ducks, drops or shrugs into a tackle to draw high contact will not receive a free kick and will instead be told to play on.

While not explicitly stating the hard line stance on the “exploitation” of the rule was due to Ginnivan, it was hard to see it had not been brought in because of the Pies star.

On Sunday afternoon the Pies forward was at the centre of the worst umpiring call you’re likely to see.

Ginnivan, streaking inside forward 50, was taken around the neck by Essendon’s Mason Redman but the umpire refused to blow the whistle ... instead calling play on.

“I think his reputation cost him there, Jack Ginnivan,” commentator Alastair Nicholson said on Seven.

“Is that a significant enough dropping of the knees not to warrant a free kick?”

Melbourne champion Nathan Jones felt it wasn’t, arguing: “I think it was a poor attempt at a tackle. He’s gone high and taken his head off. That’s as clear as day, really.”

Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling added: “He’s not fair game. Just because you’re going into the mindset of ‘Ginnivan has done this before’, doesn’t mean that Essendon players can go for their life. That’s a free kick every day.”

Ginnivan is far from the first player to exploit the rule and draw free kicks by dropping at the knees.

Joel Selwood mastered it and drew countless free kicks from high tackles, former North Melbourne forward Lindsay Thomas adopted the tactic and cashed in numerous times.

The ugly moment on Sunday left fans seething and had many calling out the league for putting Ginnivan in an unsafe environment.

Former Richmond legend Matthew Richardson wrote: “Outrageous high contact non decision on Ginnivan.”

Basil Zoccali wrote: “Even as an Essendon supporter, that was high on Jack Ginnivan. The kid almost lost his head!”

Journalist Mark Gottlieb wrote: “At no stage is this tackle EVER going to be a legal one. Blaming players getting hit in the head is a terrible path for the #AFL to be going down with what we know about brain injuries. Ginnivan lowered his running height but that shouldn’t make it open season on his head.”

Channel 10’s Stephen Quartermain wrote: “Jack Ginnivan @CollingwoodFC actually has to have his head torn from his shoulder blades to get a free kick.”

My man Ginnivan could get decapitated and still not get a free #AFLCrowsPies

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 7:26pm
And the Mighty Woods flog their opposition once again, this time by 6 points for the team's 7th win by less than 10 points.  Clap 

Ok we can't win a premiership, however most pundits (along with BB) had them finishing in the last four on the ladder.  Wink  Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

And the Mighty Woods flog their opposition once again, this time by 6 points for the team's 7th win by less than 10 points.  Clap 

Ok we can't win a premiership, however most pundits (along with BB) had them finishing in the last four on the ladder.  Wink  Big smile

I do not recall I suggesting they would finish in the bottom four.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>