Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2022 - Official thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFL 2022 - Official thread
    Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:40pm
Not really, I have a few of my own on our walls at home that have been up for 30 years . .couple of Pro Hart's, couple of Albert Tucker's and couple of Hugh Sawrey's.. BTW  all are Australian artists and they have all gone to God, so they are not painting anymore.Smile
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:22am
You have a thing about paintings being taken down don't you BB? LOL
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 10:26am
The families of those founder fathers of AFL and past presidents, whose achievements have been cast aside , to make way for a few "dot" aboriginal drawings as a form of tokenism by the AFL.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:28am
Yeah, who cares.Sleepy
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Well it has not taken the current woke leadership of the AFL to get on board the Indigenous Voice. In the past week the portraits of the founding fathers of Australian rules together with all previous AFL CEOs have been removed  from the boardroom at AFL house and replaced, wait for this, with art work of indigenous artists, as a gesture to support the Voice. 
To replace Tom Wills, the most significant founding father, with some dotted indigenous artwork , is an absolute joke.
Well it has only taken just over 3 weeks for my reporting of the above to hit the press. In today's Australian there is an article under the following heading.
The AFL has replaced portraits of its past presidents with Indigenous art

The boardroom at Melbourne’s AFL House has always been an unremarkable, featureless space. Its few striking elements have ­included a dated carpet, a considerable oak table, and a gallery of austere-looking men whose imposing portraits lined an ­entire wall.

These paintings of past presidents have always resided in the boardroom, per convention, and depicted the code’s venerated patriarchs, from former chairman Mike Fitzpatrick to the late Ron Evans and SirKenneth Luke, among others.

Lately these artworks have become a delicate matter for the AFL, perhaps even a low-key source of discomfort. The subjects are all male, and they are all white. We hear at least one administrator remarked upon the lack of diversity on display and, as everyone knows, that’s a crime of the deepest dye for any sporting code.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:04pm
Why the AFL has come out and supported the Yes vote for the Voice has baffled me. As the NRL, Rugby, Netball , Cricket Australia and Tennis Australia  have also come out I suppose they did not want to one out.  
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 3:10pm
£👍🌭
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

A Melbourne legal firm is bringing Supreme court action , with 30 former former AFL & AFLW players against the AFL for the effects of concussion injuries incurred when they played AFL football. I do not know what their chance of success maybe, but I find it difficult to believe they will win. If I was an elite athlete earning big dollars competing in a physical contact sport, I would assume the risk of injury was offset by my reward. 
Can you imagine a boxer, years after finishing his boxing career, suing a promoter because he has been  diagnosed with Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is a brain condition thought to be linked to repeated head injuries and blows to the head
They have buckley's chance of getting anything out of this action - lock it in Eddie !

It will be successfully defended on the basis that in order to play AFL you have to be at least partially brain dead to start with LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:15pm
 it's not the age of chivalry, anymore. Crinolines died out in the 1800's. 

We want equality...even with concussion...

Thumbs Up

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:12pm
No! I ain't kidding JJ , but , as you are aware , it's My opinion . Wink
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:07pm
 you have to be kidding, Carioca.  

It's taken countless years for women to be allowed to play contact sports. Now you want it banned...

Women's heads are probably harder than men's. After all, they've been banging them on that glass ceiling for yonks.  

Nuke
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:01pm
what a piece of crap , so they want to eat their cake and have it too , sign a waiver or learn how to swim ya flogs , anyhow , women should be barred completely from both contact sport nrl/afl, it's brutal , and degrading , imho there's only two things worse than a man lying unconscious from sport , a young child and a woman .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:43pm
A Melbourne legal firm is bringing Supreme court action , with 30 former former AFL & AFLW players against the AFL for the effects of concussion injuries incurred when they played AFL football. I do not know what their chance of success maybe, but I find it difficult to believe they will win. If I was an elite athlete earning big dollars competing in a physical contact sport, I would assume the risk of injury was offset by my reward. 
Can you imagine a boxer, years after finishing his boxing career, suing a promoter because he has been  diagnosed with Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is a brain condition thought to be linked to repeated head injuries and blows to the head
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:39am
Well it has not taken the current woke leadership of the AFL to get on board the Indigenous Voice. In the past week the portraits of the founding fathers of Australian rules together with all previous AFL CEOs have been removed  from the boardroom at AFL house and replaced, wait for this, with art work of indigenous artists, as a gesture to support the Voice. 
To replace Tom Wills, the most significant founding father, with some dotted indigenous artwork , is an absolute joke.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm
Is it just my imagination or do a lot of AFL players have season ending ACL injuries in the preseason?

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 4:52pm
ps you can bet your bottom dollar the apology was accompanied by a financial settlement amounting to a significant six figure sum for just 1 1/4 days work.  

Which one notes is being directed to a charity, but hopefully not one associated with Thorburn's church of choice which likens abortion to a concentration camp and labels homosexuality as a sin.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 4:39pm
What a dysfunctional Essendon committee!  Where was its due diligence?  Why was Thorburn himself on the sub-committee searching for a new CEO if he was a potential contender?  Even Bombers supporter Baghdad Bob has expressed his absolute consternation.

The Essendon Football Club has apologised to former CEO Andrew Thorburn over the way it handled the events leading to his departure after just one day in the role.

Key points:

• In a statement, the club acknowledged it should have handled the situation better and apologised to Mr Thorburn and his family
  • The Bombers will make a donation to an ethics group which will prepare a paper on inclusion in sporting organisations
  • Essendon said Mr Thorburn was a "person of integrity" who remained welcome at the club 

Mr Thorburn was appointed as the Bombers CEO in October, but resigned a day later after public commentary over his involvement in a church which had shared controversial views about homosexuality and abortion.

Mr Thorburn said at the time it was clear to him that his personal Christian faith was "not tolerated or permitted in the public square", despite his leadership record.

In a joint statement released on Tuesday, the two parties said they had resolved the dispute over the matter and would work to "enable a wider community conversation on the importance of freedom of conscience, religion and belief".

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 1:57pm
 I hate seeing his revolting face in old games.

or the club having been associated with  him...

Censored
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:46am
Collingwood AFL superfan and former cheer squad leader Jeffrey "Joffa" Corfe has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a teenage boy.

The 62-year-old was charged with one count of sexual penetration of a child under 16, related to the abuse of a 14-year-old at his then-home in Coburg in Melbourne's north, in 2005.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

average Give Bob a good kick up the, er, behind.  Tongue
I got that off a list of historical Essendon only goal kickers, and it never made sense , although game his per game was a simple arithmetic division. When you think in the first quarter of this year’s GF Hawkins kicked two points before he kicked a goal.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:51am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:47am
Give Bob a good kick up the, er, behind.  Tongue
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:41am
The Wikipedia machine says 330 behinds Bob.

1578 kicks 727 goals 330 behinds.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Grey Affair Grey Affair wrote:

I thought they only started keeping individual stats on behinds in 1965.

That makes sense, but how did they know he only kicked 2 behinds?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

5.48 goals per game

Behind only the equally freakish (and equally unlucky) Peter Hudson

One of my dads favourite stories was of a church in Hawthorn that put up a sign saying, "what would you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn?" To which someone else added underneath, "Move Hudson to centre half forward"
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 2:57am
I thought they only started keeping individual stats on behinds in 1965.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 9:14pm
5.48 goals per game

Behind only the equally freakish (and equally unlucky) Peter Hudson
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 9:09pm
I was looking at some VFL/ AFL goalkicking records the other day and came across John Coleman's record.
He only played in 97 games before suffering a career ending knee injury, in those games he kicked 527 goals and unbelievably only 2 points for an average of 5.48 goals per game. That would be unheard of today where some full forwards kick 2 points in a first quarter let alone in 97 games.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:39pm
This antediluvian drop kick is just so out of touch:

Kennett slams former players over racism allegations as WorkSafe probes Hawthorn

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 2:11pm
My scepticism is leading me in two different directions on the Hawthorn allegations. They are so falsifiable if untrue so why would anybody make them if they are going to be found out as liars big time? They are so outrageous if true how could it be a secret for so long?

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>